Matilda Bay - Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dans at Carnes Hill does stock it...

Thanks!! :)
My closest Dans is Eastwood... I will have a look around at some other stores and if all else fails I know where to find the Alpha Pale Ale!

didnt have this at the local dans so had to get the APA instead B)

Just picked up my 2nd 6pk of Fat Yak for $14 at the local Cellerbrations, be damned if I pay $23 for LCPA no matter how good it is. I still think its a fair comprimise in these situations and there is no other decent alternative available at the time.

A lame drop. Clean but not exciting. Why do they bother!

tdh

*sigh*

Another marketing stunt from a CUB owned brewery and we're sucked in like morons!

This is not a particularly good brew. It is clearly made for mass production under the CUB standard; "the least amount offensive for the greatest amount of people" (or what they refer to as sessonal). Sure it got some hop aroma; but hardly and flavour. It totally lack any malt character and it is not very well balanced. Taste like a Fosters Lager with a hop odor. They have probably just added some of their hop extract to the VB recipe from the factory in Abbotsford.

However, they got a good name. A big name like this combined with a cool brand and a appealing label sells. I have seen they advertise in for example FHM magazine. Brilliant strategy; tells the target market that this is a beer for the cool people with "some beer knowledge". This is a sick attempt of Fosters Group to regain market shares from the smaller independent brewers that lack the marketing dollars to compete. Do not get fooled! Stay off the band wagon on this one!
:icon_vomit:

Marketing gee why would a huge company market a product. ?

I think it's a nice beer (drank a 6 pack last night)... I like the fact it's everywhere.

For anyone in Newy, Fat Yak is on tap at the Kent on Beaumont street. $5.60 a schooey. I had two last night, was a little underwhelmed given the hype. Needs a good dose of munich in it to give it some body I reckon, but that's just my preference. Didn't mind the hopping for a sessionable APA though I much prefer the Alpha, but the only place I can find it on tap in NEWY is at the Brewery at $9 a pint.. :eek:

For anyone in Newy, Fat Yak is on tap at the Kent on Beaumont street. $5.60 a schooey. I had two last night, was a little underwhelmed given the hype. Needs a good dose of munich in it to give it some body I reckon, but that's just my preference. Didn't mind the hopping for a sessionable APA though I much prefer the Alpha, but the only place I can find it on tap in NEWY is at the Brewery at $9 a pint.. :eek:

I wish I could of put it that way. For some reason I prefer it straight from the bottle.... Not sure why

*sigh*

Another marketing stunt from a CUB owned brewery and we're sucked in like morons!

This is not a particularly good brew. It is clearly made for mass production under the CUB standard; "the least amount offensive for the greatest amount of people" (or what they refer to as sessonal). Sure it got some hop aroma; but hardly and flavour. It totally lack any malt character and it is not very well balanced. Taste like a Fosters Lager with a hop odor. They have probably just added some of their hop extract to the VB recipe from the factory in Abbotsford.

However, they got a good name. A big name like this combined with a cool brand and a appealing label sells. I have seen they advertise in for example FHM magazine. Brilliant strategy; tells the target market that this is a beer for the cool people with "some beer knowledge". This is a sick attempt of Fosters Group to regain market shares from the smaller independent brewers that lack the marketing dollars to compete. Do not get fooled! Stay off the band wagon on this one!

You are talking out your ass

*sigh*

How dare we buy a "Marketed" Beer!! I guess you just can't please some people...

If you think Fat Yak is bad just because its marketed and made by the CUB or Fosters Group or whoever then you are just as bad as people that drink Crown because its a nice looking bottle/label...

How dare we buy a "Marketed" Beer!! I guess you just can't please some people...

If you think Fat Yak is bad just because its marketed and made by the CUB or Fosters Group or whoever then you are just as bad as people that drink Crown because its a nice looking bottle/label...

I hate the Crown bottle! not sure why does not feel good in my hand!

Anyhow why have they called it FAT YAK?

My point exactly: One can wonder whether the Crownie would have even made it to the market if it wasn't for the fancy bottle and the backing of the marketing budget from Fosters Group... Do people drink it because they like the bottle, or because they like what's inside the bottle?

Fat Yak is a mediocre - and not a great beer (as many people in this thread also have suggested). Think about how quickly this brew have arrived to the market. It seems to have become a success almost over night. Is that because we as consumers kept requesting it, or because it was "forced" upon us? How can it all of a sudden be on tap all over the country and also in the bottle shop?

Of course marketing does not affect the taste of the Fat Yak, but it may affect the diversity of beer and the choices of offer to us as consumers in the long run.

I believe someone called it a "user friendly APA"? Isn't that the same as a "made to fit everyone's palate APA"? Or perhaps just a "mass produced APA"...

"Marketing gee why would a huge company market a product. ?"

-I donno; perhaps to sell more of it???

I think it's a fair point. I'm not suggesting it should stop people drinking it if they like it or that they should feel they have to defend their drinking choices but it would be good to see people be a bit less precious about it when someone expresses a critical view.

If you like it - great buy it, drink it, tell all your friends.

If not then you should be able to say so without anyone getting their knickers in a knot.

Im no moron! and no marketing got me involved with this beer.

Whatever,

Its a decent beer, with a good amount of flavour, that may very well act as a gateway beer to some of the more challengeing matilda bay offerings,

I guess LCPA is shite because its readily available too?

I freely admit to being the first to denounce a new beer on its merits, but to me denouncing this one is very difficult to justify

Sinkas exactly.. ching ching... and this is from somebody that likes a a lot more complex and different styles to me!

its not just in the brewing its about getting it out there! I can get Fat Yak at a bottle shop next to a sportz bar which I cant get many other beers I like! That suits me fine! If I could make a beer like that I would be very happy and so would my so called moronic friends! Fair enough tell us you don't like it... but saying we got sucked in by marketing! shit DUDE! by the way what is FHM?

Back