Matilda Bay - Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Have seen this written about through the week and on the Matilda Bay site.

Apparently the new, user friendly APA? A little less intense that the Alpha.

Anyone tried it?

"user friendly APA? A little less intense that the Alpha"
WTF???

is this the beta ale ?? ...

if it was something a lot less than $20 for 4 x 330ml Alpha then i might buy some ...

what is the breakdown between kegs/bottles aka take-aways ?

Perhaps the Alpha will only be a specialty along with Squires IPA etc .... the majority of of aus beer
drinkers too transfixed by VB or stupid tooheys ads ....

mmm back to home brewing ... :)

Edit - when Alpha was on tap local - I made a few efforts to sample it. My last visit it wasnt :(

The aroma is enticing, but it lacks anything else, really. Last night I had a middy at the pub and was bored after the first sip.

The aroma is enticing, but it lacks anything else, really. Last night I had a middy at the pub and was bored after the first sip.
i think your problem was that you obviously didn't have it with red meat, as all ales should be enjoyed.... :lol:

I used the phrase 'user friendly' after reading an interview with the brewer in the Courier Mail the other day.

There was a concern that there wasn't an easily 'accessable' APA for Matilda Bay, and that the Alpha might be too intense for people not accustomed to the style.

I never realised Bikini Girls had draft beer...

It's on tap at Phoenix Bar in Flinders St (near Exhibition St Cnr) ($4.50 pot). Had it last Friday. Very drinkable, but you try it and go "Oh yeah another Little Creatures rip-off". Tastes like a mellow version of Little Creatures Pale Ale. But that said if I saw it on tap elsewhere would certainly have it again, it was nice- just would like to see something a little different happening in the APA category, they're all starting to taste the same.

Hopper

Wandered down to the Breaky Creek pub at lunch time and saw it was on tap. Also saw Scott Vincent (new head brewer for Matilda Bay, who I've known for a long time but hadn't seen in a while) standing at the bar trying to get some customer feedback - which wins a few more brownie points I reckon. Scott's very passionate about beer (even after working for Foster's for a long time) and a nice bloke to boot. I give the Yak the thumbs up (and not just because he shouted) - it's true it's "milder" version of Alpha or LCPA but very drinkable and perfect for a Friday lunchtime.

I'm sorry but really disappointed with the Yak. Initial aroma was OK, though clearly doesn't have the hop presence of the Alpha (which I'm a fan BTW). At $6.50 a pot felt violated buying such a skunky beer, unfortunately passion alone won't brew a great beer.

Where abouts did you find it?

Well, other than Bikini Girls, The Flying Scotsman's a safe bet. If you want to know a comprehensive list I could get back to you shortly.

If anything I hope that the fatty get's people interested in hops, so that one day they might appreciate bitterness and hop flavour in beer.

Well, other than Bikini Girls, The Flying Scotsman's a safe bet. If you want to know a comprehensive list I could get back to you shortly.

If anything I hope that the fatty get's people interested in hops, so that one day they might appreciate bitterness and hop flavour in beer.

Where the devil is Bikini Girls. Flying Scotman's in Mt Lawley isn't it?

Had a schooner of this on Sunday morning. If it's aimed at the APA virgins then I reckon it hits the spot. The body is quite light and the while the hops are there, they aren't in your face. Not a bad beer at all, I just prefer the hoppier versions with more malt character in the APA style.

Hey Kram, where did you get a schooner of this?

Cheers - SNow.

The Grand Central, well the 'always open' bar part of it. $6.50 a Schooner.

I tried it last week at the Local in St Kilda - was alright for me. But I had better beers following that.

I tried this for the first time today thinking it was "new on the market". LOL, shows how slowly things make their way to this part of Oz, but it was the first time my local bottlo had it.
Anyway, I quit like it, good hop aroma and flavour, maybe too full on for the average punter but for someone who moved to the dark side some time back it was a good beer.
Cheers

I tried this for the first time today thinking it was "new on the market". LOL, shows how slowly things make their way to this part of Oz, but it was the first time my local bottlo had it.
Anyway, I quit like it, good hop aroma and flavour, maybe too full on for the average punter but for someone who moved to the dark side some time back it was a good beer.
Cheers

I hadn't seen it until last week either and grabbed a glass.
Didn't think it was too bad at all, but not as hoppy as "I'm used too" :)

It's on tap at Phoenix Bar in Flinders St (near Exhibition St Cnr) ($4.50 pot). Had it last Friday. Very drinkable, but you try it and go "Oh yeah another Little Creatures rip-off". Tastes like a mellow version of Little Creatures Pale Ale. But that said if I saw it on tap elsewhere would certainly have it again, it was nice- just would like to see something a little different happening in the APA category, they're all starting to taste the same.

Hopper
try kooinda pale ale.

Latest posts

Back