Matilda Bay - Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried this at the brass monkey in northbridge while on holidays. Not over the top hoppy but hoppy enough for me.

I would drink this again, if I see it anywhere in my locale.

Had a few at the Oceans bar in Coogee, alternating between LC Bright Ale, (which was preferable) not too bad but at $7/shmiddy.......

I had it on tap at the Old Lion in North Adelaide after we finished at montezumas mexican and i thought it was real nice. If i see it around again i would certainly try it again. What would be a good recipe for this sucker? Anyone know what hops would they use

Wandered down to the Breaky Creek pub at lunch time and saw it was on tap. Also saw Scott Vincent (new head brewer for Matilda Bay, who I've known for a long time but hadn't seen in a while) standing at the bar trying to get some customer feedback - which wins a few more brownie points I reckon. Scott's very passionate about beer (even after working for Foster's for a long time) and a nice bloke to boot. I give the Yak the thumbs up (and not just because he shouted) - it's true it's "milder" version of Alpha or LCPA but very drinkable and perfect for a Friday lunchtime.

yeah coolum brewer - Scott is a great guy with a real passion for craft brewing. I only just recently met him after starting at Foster's. He has done an awesome job with the Fat Yak. Two thumbs up!!

spent the afternoon drinking this at the Transcontinental in Brisbane having previously never heard of it before. $6 pints, pretty good. :rolleyes:

I tried this at the brass monkey in northbridge while on holidays. Not over the top hoppy but hoppy enough for me.

I would drink this again, if I see it anywhere in my locale.

They would have this on tap at the monkey wouldnt they??? I feel a Friday session coming on....

I am suffering after drinking this last night at the Kurrajong Heights Hotel. The owner (also a brewer) is a champ for putting it on at $4.90 to try to get some of the local swill drinkers to consider other options.

I thought the aroma was a bit like over-extended dry hopping and I tried to put my finger on the hop, but couldn't quite. The beer is basically inoffensive, next to no noticeable malt profile, and slightly hoppy. The head and lacing it left on the glass was fantastic.

I drank this over Coopers Sparkling last night, and I found it pleasant enough to stay with it. I probably wouldn't buy it ever because I can easily brew an APA more to my tastes if I so desired.

I give MB credit for providing a beer that will possibly switch Australian swill drinkers over to craft beer.

I am suffering after drinking this last night at the Kurrajong Heights Hotel. The owner (also a brewer) is a champ for putting it on at $4.90 to try to get some of the local swill drinkers to consider other options.

I thought the aroma was a bit like over-extended dry hopping and I tried to put my finger on the hop, but couldn't quite. The beer is basically inoffensive, next to no noticeable malt profile, and slightly hoppy. The head and lacing it left on the glass was fantastic.

I drank this over Coopers Sparkling last night, and I found it pleasant enough to stay with it. I probably wouldn't buy it ever because I can easily brew an APA more to my tastes if I so desired.

I give MB credit for providing a beer that will possibly switch Australian swill drinkers over to craft beer.

I was going to ask which hop it was any guesses??? I just posted in the commercial thread. I really really like it. Just a easy drinker but not watery. :icon_offtopic: Is Kurrijong near Kiama?

Kurrajong is about a 2.5 hour drive from kiama

I was going to ask which hop it was any guesses???

Not a guess, but according to their PR it's Nelson Sauvin & American Cascade.

"The Garage are focused on getting Fat Yak (4.7%) in kegs nationwide.
It's been Vincent's prized initiation for the past eight months.
It uses American Cascade and New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops.
Its golden-green hue in the glass - another hint of sauvy blanc - gives
way to passionfruit and melon aromas."

Source of info

Hopper.

I noted last weekend that Fat Yak could be had at just about any of the (Brisbane) Queen Street mall establisments... Milano, Jimmy Mac's, Pig & Whistle, and another whose name slips me at the moment. This is a good thing, except I opt for Little Creatures when at Milano. Still, its good to see it getting out there.

Katie... It's definately on tap at brass monkey.
and no... Its not near Kiama..!

Our local Cellerbrations had it for $14 a 6pk, which is a cheap alternative considering a 6pk of LCPA is $23 there :eek:
I rather enjoyed it actually, definately could have a session on it.

I love this beer. Had it for the first time at the brekkie creek (on tap).

Yeah it's probably not that malty or bitter but the hop aroma is a lot more than anything else I've had. Drinking this beer is like cracking open a foil of hops I reckon. Lovely lovely beer. I had to go back for another and another and another. I'd almost go as far as saying its my preferred beer at the moment, I almost went back on Sunday for another but the hangover said otherwise.

Our local Cellerbrations had it for $14 a 6pk, which is a cheap alternative considering a 6pk of LCPA is $23 there :eek:
I rather enjoyed it actually, definately could have a session on it.

I thought the yak was only available on tap. Had it the other day at the taphouse and thought it was a very enjoyable drop.

Will try and hunt it down in a local bottlo. Anyone know of its availability in Sydney (inner west pref)

It's definately in bottles, but if its "back east" yet i don't know.

Katie... It's definately on tap at brass monkey.
and no... Its not near Kiama..!

Ah have to check it out... went to the Sail on Saturday afternoon no were to be seen not on tap anyhow
! Norfolk meant to have also!

Back