Mashmaster Mill Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of rollers would you buy for a mill

• Carbon Steel (cheapest option)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aluminum aircraft grade (about 1.5 to 2 times more than carbon steel, but you save on shipping)

• 304 Stainless Steel (most expensive option 2 to 4 times the price of carbon steel)

• Total voters
It appears that you may now have to close your eyes and use your imagination. :(

{Insert sleazy music here}

File Uploads

Warren -

I am still working on the drive for the passive roller, I am currently trying various o-ring configurations, however I have not been 100% satisfied with the service life of the 0-rings, hence I am looking at experimenting with gearing the rollers, (Not a simple task considering the rollers are adjustable.)

I am still working on the drive for the passive roller, I am currently trying various o-ring configurations, however I have not been 100% satisfied with the service life of the 0-rings, hence I am looking at experimenting with gearing the rollers, (Not a simple task considering the rollers are adjustable.)
How about a twisted belt drive? do you have any shaft sticking out of the edge of the mill?, an O ring would work

Hi Ausdb
I have been playing around with 0-ring configurations however service life seems to be an issue, also reported by many barley crusher uses. I am going to give gearing a trial first to see how it performs

I'd be willing to test a unit almost every weekend for you :)

My Schmidling MaltMill with geared 2nd roller arrived last week...
Couple of design points for you to consider Brissy
- Although the MaltMill is adjustable, with the geared option the driven end is fixed at 0.045" and only the bearing at the other end is adjustable.
- Also by choosing to drive the second roller with a gear you can have different numbers of teeth on each gear introducing a slight shearing motion if you choose to..

Cheers Asher

I thought that was the primary purpose of a geared second roller?

My Schmidling MaltMill with geared 2nd roller arrived last week...
Couple of design points for you to consider Brissy
- Although the MaltMill is adjustable, with the geared option the driven end is fixed at 0.045" and only the bearing at the other end is adjustable.
- Also by choosing to drive the second roller with a gear you can have different numbers of teeth on each gear introducing a slight shearing motion if you choose to..

Cheers Asher
Hi Asher

I currently have designed but not tested (still getting a sample made) a gear roller solution that is fully adjustable on both ends, that way your not running your rollers skewed at one end and the roller gap is still fully adjustable that way.

The shearing idea comes from a journal article published some time ago, it was applied in a commerical style mill design, we are talking about 30cm diameter smooth rollers. It was experimented with for awhile but appears to have been dropped from designs again. I think the sheer is maybe half gimmik and half psudo science hence it is not a design consideration I am looking. Hence going to try to avoid odd gear ratios, anyways if you want any sheer action I can imagine that backlash created by some motorisation methods will add enough sheer into the equation without engineering more in.

Thanks for the reply Brissy,
It sounds like you're already well into engineering new solutions to age old milling problems to me. I too am looking forward to seeing the finished results

So good to hear someone's own ideas rather than the historical ones

Cheers
Asher

A long overdue update:

After a lot of experimentation with o-ring designs I was not satisfied that an o-ring solution was what I wanted in the mashmaster mill. Other manufactures produce use them and they do work but have a limited life span which I found unacceptable. As a result I had to go back to the drawing and the release of the mashmaster mill was delayed.
Mark II, has changed the design of the mashmaster mill to provide the first adjustable geared 2 roller mill. The gears have been custom designed and made specifically to provide a mill that is geared but is still adjustable.
Below are a few pictures of the pro-type. The rollers in the pictures are not stainless but nickel plated, I have some stainless models in the works as well for those who are interested in stainless steel rollers. With 69mm diameter rollers the only sized mill that comes close is the barleycrusher MICRO series mill.
The eccentric adjustor provides over a dozen set adjustment points, from a large gap for crushing corn to the finest setting making flour or crushing some exotic grains and over course a good degree of adjustment for crushing run of the mill malted barley. Just dial up the adjustment and youre on your way.
I dont have a final price as yet as the pro-type is a mix of mark I and mark II components.
The mill will also come standard with base hopper.
Browndog coat hanger testing will begin shortly.

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

Wow!! That just looks plain horny :wub:

BB Can you ever see yourself making a 3 roller model too up the track? :unsure:

Warren -

Bloody excellent work Brizzybrew :super: - I might have a 2nd hand 3 roller Crankenstein for sale shortly B)

Cheers Ross

That looks tops Brissy, if you need anyone to do field testing, I sticks me hand up :)

Nice work Brizzy - I suspect you are going to be busy when you go into production.

I'm very interested in price, when you get the numbers together.

Beautifully done Brissy!

Funnily enough I have been pondering a mill design, and it occurred to me that we could probably sacrifice some roller length in favour of diameter. I doubt many of us really need an especially high throughput, but a decent diameter has plenty of advantages. I see that's pretty much what you've done :p

I love the look of the gap adjustment, I guess there is some kind of cam behind that knob? Very elegant.

With the rollers, to be honest I don't care what they are made from, and I bet most people would really be the same truth be told. As long as they are hard and hardwearing I'll take one. Stainless, mild steel, brass, aluminium, whatever - it isn't difficult to get the specs, and if you are happy with a particular material I'm happy to trust you.

Regarding the hopper, I see that most folks have voted for a hopper to be supplied with it. Personally I think this is a mistake - I reckon any hopper worth having would add significantly to shipping cost and inconvenience, for what is essentially a large empty space. How about building it with a 'common solution' in mind? For example, I bet most of us could get our hands on a plastic water cooler bottle without too much drama, cut the bottom out and there's a pretty decent hopper/funnel right there. If you could build a simple 'adaptor plate' with the bottle neck in mind then I reckon folks could rig it up pretty easily themselves, and it wouldn't be hard for people to make up (or find) more glamorous solutions if that was important to them. I wouldn't want to pay extra to get a hopper that may not fit into the space I have etc.

Top work anyway :beer:

Beautifully done Brissy!

Funnily enough I have been pondering a mill design, and it occurred to me that we could probably sacrifice some roller length in favour of diameter. I doubt many of us really need an especially high throughput, but a decent diameter has plenty of advantages. I see that's pretty much what you've done :p

I love the look of the gap adjustment, I guess there is some kind of cam behind that knob? Very elegant.

With the rollers, to be honest I don't care what they are made from, and I bet most people would really be the same truth be told. As long as they are hard and hardwearing I'll take one. Stainless, mild steel, brass, aluminium, whatever - it isn't difficult to get the specs, and if you are happy with a particular material I'm happy to trust you.

Regarding the hopper, I see that most folks have voted for a hopper to be supplied with it. Personally I think this is a mistake - I reckon any hopper worth having would add significantly to shipping cost and inconvenience, for what is essentially a large empty space. How about building it with a 'common solution' in mind? For example, I bet most of us could get our hands on a plastic water cooler bottle without too much drama, cut the bottom out and there's a pretty decent hopper/funnel right there. If you could build a simple 'adaptor plate' with the bottle neck in mind then I reckon folks could rig it up pretty easily themselves, and it wouldn't be hard for people to make up (or find) more glamorous solutions if that was important to them. I wouldn't want to pay extra to get a hopper that may not fit into the space I have etc.

Top work anyway :beer:
The adjustor is eccentric, the rollers run on bearings not bushes.

The Hopper will flat pack and bolt together, it is only a feeder hopper, that capacity is not that big, and it is designed to allow people to add there own extension with ease, just a bucket with a hole in the bottom, to wooden or metal custom jobs. I attached a drawing of the hopper so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

hopper.jpg

Can't wait for the finished product to be available.
I was saving to get a 'Malt Mill' from the states, but I think I'll wait and get this Aussie made one instead.

Top work Brissy.

As always it looks superb BB.
If my Valley Mill ever dies, I'll know where I'll be starting looking for a replacement.

Doc

Latest posts

Back