Mashmaster Mill Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of rollers would you buy for a mill

• Carbon Steel (cheapest option)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aluminum aircraft grade (about 1.5 to 2 times more than carbon steel, but you save on shipping)

• 304 Stainless Steel (most expensive option 2 to 4 times the price of carbon steel)

• Total voters
7000 series aluminium is true aircraft grade for structural components, the 6000 series is still used in aircraft and as such is classified as aircraft grade.
We used to use it for Hydraulic manifolds @ 3500psi, it's certainly strong stuff.
Yield strength is a measure of the toughness of the material, what most people are concerned about is hardness, or the resistance to the rollers wearing, being imprinted by the grain.

Can't wait for the result BrissyBrew, gearing up for AG and next on the list is a mill :D

The fact is, in the Aircraft Industry we use a wide variety of aluminuim, including 2024, 6061 and 7075. They all serve different purposes. The hardest we temper to is not T6 but T8 and this is pretty damn hard. Would it be suitable for knurled rollers? Well, the only way to know that would be to try it and see how it went. A pretty expensive exercise if they blunted. Personally, I would not risk it. Frank, forgive me if this has been brought up earlier as I have not read all the posts, but I have just finished building Ross's mill using a Crankenstein 3D and I have to say that the design for adjusting the roller gap is CRAP. If you are going to connect a pulley to the driveshaft, it will obscure the adjusting knob and you will have to remove the pulley every time you want to adjust the gap. It would be better if the adjustment is at the front al-la Tony's design. Take a look at Ross mill if you can't understand what I am on about.

cheers

Browndog

I have the "Tony"mill and the gap adjustment works fantastic ans is very simple, although it really needs BOTH rollers to be driven as sometimes it wont grab the grain on startup

It also needs a fairly powerfull motor to run it. Sometimes I have to give it a helping hand when starting and it is a 3/4hp motor.

And forget hand cranking.....you will only do that once.. :ph34r:

Good timing as always, I am looking at upgrading to a new mill from my marga.
I would be happy with:

Mild steel rollers
I would like to see a mill with longer rollers than the crankenstien and Barley crusher, perhaps 6".
Larger diameter would be good too
A good knurl but not too deep
and not fussed about a hopper.
It should also be fully adjustable on both ends of the mill.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

Cheers
Andrew

Yield strength is a measure of the toughness of the material, what most people are concerned about is hardness, or the resistance to the rollers wearing, being imprinted by the grain.

Close - but not quite right.

Yeild strength is a measure of the point where the metal permanently deforms (or 'yields' to the force being applied to it) and is related to hardness.

Toughness is the ability of the material to undergo deformation without fracture and is the opposite of brittle.

A piece of lead sheeting is tough but has a very low yield point. Something that has been hardened (like a file or chisel) is hard but not very tough. A spring on the other hand has a high yield strength, but also has very high toughness.

David

I have just finished building Ross's mill using a Crankenstein 3D and I have to say that the design for adjusting the roller gap is CRAP. If you are going to connect a pulley to the driveshaft, it will obscure the adjusting knob and you will have to remove the pulley every time you want to adjust the gap. It would be better if the adjustment is at the front al-la Tony's design. Take a look at Ross mill if you can't understand what I am on about.

cheers

Browndog
Hi Browndog, your right if you have a short short driveshaft a pully would get in the the way. What is the diameter of the pully you attached to the driveshaft.

cheers
frank

I've been thinking of producing a mill for some time now,being a fitter and turner I have a few ideas.
Seems we may have a few on the market to choose from soon.

Batz

I have been busy with the design of the mashmaster mill. I am currently deciding on the best material to manufacturer the rollers from. I am dedicated to producing the best possible mill I can for a reasonable price.

Just bringing this back to the top to see how progress is going.

Cheers
MAH

is the mill going to be around before xmas??
hows the progress with the mills??

Hi Browndog, your right if you have a short short driveshaft a pully would get in the the way. What is the diameter of the pully you attached to the driveshaft.

Totally depends on the speed of your motor Frank. I would not expect to see one less than 6" or so. Mine has a 1450 RPM motor with a tiny pulley on it and the pulley on the mill is about 8" dia. giving 190 RPM.

Having said that though, the pulley is not solid and has gaps that you can use access behind it.

cheers

Browndog

A standard 12mm shaft witha bit of extra length of accommodate the adjuster has been taken into account.

I have a couple samples of the bare bones mill on the way. The crank and hopper will come later. When they arrive I shall post some pics.

that's all i need
don't worry about the crank & hopper
when can i have one ? :D

Tangent,
The two samples I am getting in are just that samples at present, I hope to have stock in by January (I was trying to make Xmas but things have been such that Santa's workshop has been busy doing other things).

I might auction one of the samples off if there is interest.
One stainless model comming and one mild steel (but case hardened and electroless nickel plated)

I will post more details when I have pics of the mill. But to give people an indication the mill will have 69mm diameter rollers, that's the same (edit: larger than) the size the barley crusher uses on there micro brew series mill (which they retail for $875.00USD plus S/H.), not their home brew mill. Plus 69 is just a great number.
Ok I have to go too many beers for me to be posting much more info.

how is testing going?
how long till they will be on the market? price?

I have a sample sitting on my desk, however I am missing one part which I am still awaiting on.

Bump!

How's this project progressing? Is there a release date?

Cheers
MAH

Back