Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spiesy said:
Do they recommend you let it sit overnight?

good question.

no they dont butI I wouldnt see how it would affect the yeast, liquid yeast will sit on the stir plate for 2-3days before picthing and I have always had fermentation within 10hrs on liquid yeast..... any idea if that could be the issue with dry yeast?

See i stored it over night as the temp of the rehydrationis 32c and teh FV is at 17c, pitching that would shock the yeast due to the temp difference being greater than 5 degree's

Im starting to think it has less lag with M44 when directly picthed into the wort....

Pratty1 said:
good question.

no they dont butI I wouldnt see how it would affect the yeast, liquid yeast will sit on the stir plate for 2-3days before picthing and I have always had fermentation within 10hrs on liquid yeast..... any idea if that could be the issue with dry yeast?

See i stored it over night as the temp of the rehydrationis 32c and teh FV is at 17c, pitching that would shock the yeast due to the temp difference being greater than 5 degree's

Im starting to think it has less lag with M44 when directly picthed into the wort....
I'm certainly no authority on the matter, but leaving it overnight seems like a long time.

Not really comparable to a stir plate, where the yeast is feeding and growing.

For what it's worth, I did a quick Google...

Quote, from HERE
I emailed Danstar about yeast timing. The answer was: “Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot.” I avoid having a delay by having the rehydration complete 10 – 15 minutes after the wort is ready for it.

Take from that what you will… I am not talking from experience.

How fresh was the M44 that you used?

Spiesy said:
For what it's worth, I did a quick Google...

Quote, from HERE
I emailed Danstar about yeast timing. The answer was: “Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot.” I avoid having a delay by having the rehydration complete 10 – 15 minutes after the wort is ready for it.

Take from that what you will… I am not talking from experience.

How fresh was the M44 that you used?
That makes sense, my M44 was this Jan 2014 both packets I think.

Following that makes it hard to rehydrate at 30-35 and then have it < 20c for pitching temps within 10-15mins.

What temps are people re-hydrating at?

Why re-hydrate? I use these yeasts often and just pitch into the wort. Never have I had an issue with any of them lagging.

indica86 said:
Why re-hydrate? I use these yeasts often and just pitch into the wort. Never have I had an issue with any of them lagging.
I had thought that about your previous posts and felt that as you direct pitched this yeast, it actually performs better than being re-hydrated.

Pratty1 said:
Following that makes it hard to rehydrate at 30-35 and then have it < 20c for pitching temps within 10-15mins.
You could always place it in the fridge, would increase the rate of cooling - and unless it's a freezer it shouldn't do your yeast any harm.

Edit: just keep checking it!

indica86 said:
Because it's a better process for prepping dried yeast.

indica86 said:
How come?
I tried to find the thread that went for 8,000 pages about "to rehydrate/to not rehydrate".

A lot of people get perfectly fine results without rehydration of yeast.

A lot of people also decide to follow the advice given by professional experts* and rehydrate… preparing the yeast for battle with the wort, putting the yeast in the best possible condition, to deliver the best result they can.

Personally I rehydrate… I've spent hours making the beer, another 20mins ain't gonna hurt.

*I am by no means a professional expert - I'm talking about the scientists at the likes of Fermentis and Danstar. And the authors of well-regarded brewing literature, such as the "Yeast" book - Jamil Z. and Chris White (White Labs).

Thanks, I had a search and only found yes, no, maybe examples.
Danstar BTW say theirs do not need it.

Just wondering if anyone has used the M02 cider yeast before, wondering what the best temp for fermentation is as their website says 12-28 degrees with higher esters the warmer you go but not 100% which way to go!

Wilkensone said:
Just wondering if anyone has used the M02 cider yeast before, wondering what the best temp for fermentation is as their website says 12-28 degrees with higher esters the warmer you go but not 100% which way to go!
Hi. I have a cider with M02 in the fermenter. I fermented at 20 degrees. I am bottling tonight or tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it went.

indica86 said:
Danstar BTW say theirs do not need it.
They might not "need" it - but they (Danstar/Lallemand) do recommend rehydrating.

From the "Lallemand Beer Yeast" PDF we were recently sent from the local suppliers:

DRY YEAST REHYDRATION
Rehydration is a crucial step to ensure rapid and complete fermentation. There are important rules to
follow to slowly transition the cells back to a liquid phase. Careful precautions were taken when drying
the yeast and the brewer has the opportunity to revert the process to obtain a highly viable and vital
liquid slurry.
The following effects have been observed with non-rehydrated yeast under specific brewing conditions:
• Longer diacetyl stand
• Longer fermentation time
• Longer lag phase
• Stuck fermentation
• Poor utilization of maltotriose

Also in that document, and back to the OP:

3) Length of rehydration
The rehydration period should not take more than 1 hour and the yeast should be pitched immediately
to ensure vigorous fermentation. It is not recommended to store rehydrated dry yeast or a decrease in
cell activity will be observed.

Edgebrew said:
Hi. I have a cider with M02 in the fermenter. I fermented at 20 degrees. I am bottling tonight or tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it went.
Hey mate, thanks for the info I'm looking at putting this down tonight but I was going for 20 degrees too. Seems that it is a good middle ground also worried about going too low fermentation may go on for a long time.

:ph34r: experimenting with beer/cider is a tough job.. :drinks:

indica86 said:
Must have read something else, somewhere...
A lot of these companies will state on the packets that you don't have to rehydrate. I think it scares less people from buying the product - but it is generally recommended.

Wilkensone said:
Definitely does better in the 18-22 degrees C Range. Over 25 and it's pretty much swill by comparison to the lower temps. Very estery (Fridge shat itself)

Haven't done one down in the lower ranges yet to find out.

Spiesy said:
They might not "need" it - but they (Danstar/Lallemand) do recommend rehydrating.

From the "Lallemand Beer Yeast" PDF we were recently sent from the local suppliers:

DRY YEAST REHYDRATION
Rehydration is a crucial step to ensure rapid and complete fermentation. There are important rules to
follow to slowly transition the cells back to a liquid phase. Careful precautions were taken when drying
the yeast and the brewer has the opportunity to revert the process to obtain a highly viable and vital
liquid slurry.
The following effects have been observed with non-rehydrated yeast under specific brewing conditions:
• Longer diacetyl stand
• Longer fermentation time
• Longer lag phase
• Stuck fermentation
• Poor utilization of maltotriose

Also in that document, and back to the OP:

3) Length of rehydration
The rehydration period should not take more than 1 hour and the yeast should be pitched immediately
to ensure vigorous fermentation. It is not recommended to store rehydrated dry yeast or a decrease in
cell activity will be observed.
Spiesy is there a recommended technique for rehydrating yeast? I've read today both straight tap water, boiled and cooled water and no dehydration are all the 'correct' technique.. so I'm a bit lost :unsure:

Latest posts

Back