Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
I used the Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast yeast in Warras IPA. Have done this recipe 4 other times, usually using US05.
Pitched 2 rehydrated packets into a 1.073 wort and gave it 60 secs of O2. When I rehydrate US05 it puffs and creams up beautifully, the M44 didn't. Maybe I needed to give it more time than I do with the US05.
It took over 30 hours before there was any visible signs of action. It then formed a 50 mm krausen over the next 12 hours and didn't get much bigger. Ferment temperature was held at 19C.
After a week it was at a gravity of 1.028. When using 1 packet of US05 it would just about be at final gravity ( approx. 1.014). I increased the temperature to 21C.
after another 5 days it was at 1.014, which is an attenuation of about 81%, much the same as US05 (for me).
Kegged it and pressured it up over the next week.
Now after another 2 weeks I am drinking it and I think its the best AIPA I have done. The hops come through nice and clean, nice malt sweetness and plenty of aroma (was dry hopped in the fermenter in the second week of fermentation with Centennial) and seems quite dry but not over dry.
Overall, I am very happy with this yeast and will definitely use again.
The next pommy ale I do I am going to use the Burton Union yeast.

All signs of poor viability. I'm guessing with so many others reporting similar sluggish performance, that good handling of this yeast between production & sale is looking extremely questionable.

Ross

This strain is noted for it's longer than normal fermentation times, final gravity being reached after 2 weeks is normal for this yeast, sounds like it performed as it should.
Mangrove Jack's has a very good PDF spec booklet on their yeast range which is way more detailed than most of the other yeast brands and worth a close read when selecting a yeast for a specific style.

Well I put an APA down on the weekend, about 45L at 1050, used two packs of the west coast yeast (not re-hydrated) and 36 hours later there's no sign of any fermentation. If I'd used US05 it'd be going along nice and strong within 12 hours so obviously a different yeast with different characteristics.

WitWonder said:
Well I put an APA down on the weekend, about 45L at 1050, used two packs of the west coast yeast (not re-hydrated) and 36 hours later there's no sign of any fermentation. If I'd used US05 it'd be going along nice and strong within 12 hours so obviously a different yeast with different characteristics.
It is a different yeast with different characteristics. 45L at 1.050 is up around the limits for 2 packs. It'll do it, but it'll struggle along for a bit.

I have a bitter using Burton Union on tap at the moment. After two weeks in the fermenter and two in the keg, it's far from bright and still has a yeasty bite. I'm going to join the growing internet chorus wondering why this is listed as a good flocculator.

The start was a bit slow but the fermentation was strong and attenuation was high - it's a bit dry if anything. I think the esters are going to make this a love it or hate it strain; I get something like a rosewater aroma and flavour.

I'll be patient with this one and give it a couple more weeks.

Kegged the lemon peel saison fermented with belgian ale at 26C primary for 10 to 14 days then secondary at 28C for around 3 weeks. Super nice pepper & spice flavours, which went hand in hand with the lemon. I'm making an orange peel one this weekend.

I've used a few of Mangrove Jack's yeasts now, I hate long lag times and that is what I had with them all. Personal opinion here but I'm unimpressed with them, back to liquid yeasts for me.

I still have the belgian ale which I believe is one the best of the range, but I doubt I ever use it now.

Batz

Batz said:
I've used a few of Mangrove Jack's yeasts now, I hate long lag times and that is what I had with them all. Personal opinion here but I'm unimpressed with them, back to liquid yeasts for me.

I still have the belgian ale which I believe is one the best of the range, but I doubt I ever use it now.

Batz
Hi Batz,

I'm about to use M44 west coast for a hoppy midstrength. What kind of lag were you getting for that strain?

Did the lag times have an overall effect on the beer profile/flavour?

Batz, knowing how you love your weizens try the Bavarian wheat it is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pratty1 said:
Hi Batz,

I'm about to use M44 west coast for a hoppy midstrength. What kind of lag were you getting for that strain?

Did the lag times have an overall effect on the beer profile/flavour?
I brewed 55lt of APA, two fermenters one I pitched 1056 the other M44. The 1056 took around 12 hours the M44 had no activity after 36 hours, I then pitched another 1056 into it. I think the M44 took off some after this and having pitched two yeasts I can't really comment on the difference between the brews.

I hate any lag time as I believe it leaves your wort open to wild yeasts and off flavours, with liquid yeast straight off the stir plate I expect activity within a few hours.

I must point out I did not rehydrate either of these yeasts, bit slack on my part there.

I'm sure others have had good results with these yeasts Pratty, these are my personal findings only.

Batz

AndrewQLD said:
Batz, knowing how you love your weizens try the Bavarian wheat it is fantastic. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would be shocked to know that I have enjoyed the odd weizen of late Andrew.

Batz

I have used the Burton Union a few times now, and re-hydrating makes a huge difference to the lag time. I normally don't bother re-hydrating dried yeast, just sprinkle. The last couple of brews using MJ yeast I have re-hydrated as per the instructions and noticed a nice thick krausen within 12 - 24 hours @ 19 degrees. The last one I think was even quicker if memory serves me right...

I've noticed quite a dry finish in my bitters using the Burton yeast, but still quite nice.

I have the Burton on an ESB at the moment. Did not hydrate and it came to life within 24 hours. The West Coast was similar, a fair bit faster than BRY-97.

Pitched a re-hydrated packet of M44 into oxygenated (pure O2) wort at 17c and raised temp to 18.5c during the day. Wort was 1035 starting gravity and after 24hrs it has only just looking like starting. it took for 36hrs till krausen started to form and that was only 1/3 of the wort surface, by morning full krausen was active.

Has anyone else had teh yeast stick to the packet like this?? first time opening and using MJ Series.

20140126_083558.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Pitched a re-hydrated packet of M44 into oxygenated (pure O2) wort at 17c and raised temp to 18.5c during the day. Wort was 1035 starting gravity and after 24hrs it has only just looking like starting. it took for 36hrs till krausen started to form and that was only 1/3 of the wort surface, by morning full krausen was active.

Has anyone else had teh yeast stick to the packet like this?? first time opening and using MJ Series.

attachicon.gif
20140126_083558.jpg
I haven't used the M44 (but have a pack ready to try) but noticed my last packet of US05 was a bit like your pic. I rehydrated and it was fine. Almost seems like moisture got in?

If not moisture then static electricity - which is what I think it is - so all good.

I put it down to condensation as I hadnt let the packet come up to room temperature before opening.

I think I might contact MJ to see what they suggest. To me its seemed like static but no other brand does that.

I used the M44 in a Citra IPA last month and the usual suspects that rock up at my house just to say g'day (what a load of frog shit, they come for the beer) have said its the best beer i've made.

Like others have experienced, this yeast took a day and a half before i even saw the slightest hint of krausen. Reminds me alot of bry97. Does anyone have definitive information if these are the same strain or just very similar? They certainly seem to share alot of the same properties, ie slow starters, good hop profiles and clear really well...

Just an update on the use of M44 - West Coast Ale Yeast

I made a Golden Ale with 70% GP and 30% Wheat, it was a 3.5% midstrength ale and the colour of the finished product is brilliantly clear. I dry hopped while it was cold crashed for 4 days @ 4c.

The attenuation was 82% - 1.035OG finished at 1.005 ( was epctecting 1.008 ) and I mashed at 66c for 60mins.

Apart from the lag period of 36+ hrs its a clean yeast that floccs well and makes a nice beer. Will be trying it out on a Session IPA when I can find room in amongst the planned brews. :)

Pratty1 said:
Just an update on the use of M44 - West Coast Ale Yeast

I made a Golden Ale with 70% GP and 30% Wheat, it was a 3.5% midstrength ale and the colour of the finished product is brilliantly clear. I dry hopped while it was cold crashed for 4 days @ 4c.

The attenuation was 82% - 1.035OG finished at 1.005 ( was epctecting 1.008 ) and I mashed at 66c for 60mins.

Apart from the lag period of 36+ hrs its a clean yeast that floccs well and makes a nice beer. Will be trying it out on a Session IPA when I can find room in amongst the planned brews. :)
1005 FG, wow. What was your mash temp/schedule?

Latest posts

Back