Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B.C. said:
Curious if anyone has tried the workhorse at high temptresses yet?
I will be when my order gets here this coming week.

Has anyone reused MJ yeast? I ask because I am going to do Smurto's IPA, and use the M07 British Ale yeast. As per instructions I will be using two sachets as the OG will be above 1.050, so would like to reuse if I like it rather than buying two sachets again next time I do this.

I made this some time ago, and under pitched by only using one sachet...tasted bloody awful. Quite keen to try it again using two,

The instruction state "As a result of the drying process, Mangrove Jack’s dried yeasts are not suitable for harvesting and/or repitching. For best results, always use a fresh sachet of yeast with every brew."

Wondering if this is legit, or simply another way of saying "Please buy more of our yeast by not reusing"...I suspect the latter.

I pitched the burton ale yesterday into a low gravity bitter. Nothing yet, not a speck of foam. I rehydrated as well. I just shook it up, so hopefully it kicks in soon. Beer is under 1.035 so I expected it to be raging by now.

wbosher said:
Has anyone reused MJ yeast? I ask because I am going to do Smurto's IPA, and use the M07 British Ale yeast. As per instructions I will be using two sachets as the OG will be above 1.050, so would like to reuse if I like it rather than buying two sachets again next time I do this.

I made this some time ago, and under pitched by only using one sachet...tasted bloody awful. Quite keen to try it again using two,

The instruction state "As a result of the drying process, Mangrove Jack’s dried yeasts are not suitable for harvesting and/or repitching. For best results, always use a fresh sachet of yeast with every brew."

Wondering if this is legit, or simply another way of saying "Please buy more of our yeast by not reusing"...I suspect the latter.
I pitched a wort onto a MJ Wheat Beer yeast from a previous brew and it fermented beautifully.

Forever Wort how did the original pack yeast compare to the repitch in regards to flavour and attenuation? I'm a bit keen to try the wheat yeast, just read a few times it didn't attenuate too well straight out of the pack.

Anyone find the Burton Union yeast to be a little lazy, it's crapped out on me at 1.014 on a mild that started at 1.034, pretty disappointed, I've give the fermenter a gentle shake to get the yeast back into suspension and raised the temp slightly hoping to get a few more points off the FG, just want to see if I'm wasting my time.

tlarnold47 said:
Forever Wort how did the original pack yeast compare to the repitch in regards to flavour and attenuation? I'm a bit keen to try the wheat yeast, just read a few times it didn't attenuate too well straight out of the pack.
From memory it was very similar, except the second batch fermented bigger and quicker (as would be expected). The second beer has less wheat in it and definitely holds a different character but you can tell the two are related. I also added all-spice to the first brew; the flavours dissipated in the second beer but the clovey nutmeg aroma stayed.

My youngest has a lager in the fridge at the moment which was repitched with the Bo Lager Yeast. Took off like a shot, dropped from 1.046 to 1.015 in 4 days, then to 1.004 in D Rest (measured after 3rd day in D rest), now CC'd and crisp as a Jatz.

Martin

HBHB said:
My youngest has a lager in the fridge at the moment which was repitched with the Bo Lager Yeast. Took off like a shot, dropped from 1.046 to 1.015 in 4 days, then to 1.004 in D Rest (measured after 3rd day in D rest), now CC'd and crisp as a Jatz.

Martin
Wow sounds way to attenuated, was it a goo brew ?

Donske said:
Anyone find the Burton Union yeast to be a little lazy, it's crapped out on me at 1.014 on a mild that started at 1.034, pretty disappointed, I've give the fermenter a gentle shake to get the yeast back into suspension and raised the temp slightly hoping to get a few more points off the FG, just want to see if I'm wasting my time.
I have one pretty much the same gravity going now. Took over 24hrs to see activity but looking ok now. I'd expect more than 1.014. It says on the pack it is high attenuating. Hopefully rousing will help, as it also mentions it is highly flocculant, which may explain it.

mje1980 said:
I have one pretty much the same gravity going now. Took over 24hrs to see activity but looking ok now. I'd expect more than 1.014. It says on the pack it is high attenuating. Hopefully rousing will help, as it also mentions it is highly flocculant, which may explain it.

Yeah, it seemed to drop out fast, should have paid more attention to it, normally I just ignore 1469 and keg in 7 to 10 days, this one looks like it'll be a bit more stubborn, I'll see if there's any drop by morning.

I'm planning on trying a wheat in the next few days using the Bavarian wheat, I was warned when I bought it that it tends to taste like wet dog smells once it gets above 25 or so.

Going to go with something like:
4Kg wheat malt
2Kg ale malt
65 degree mash for 90 min or so
bittered to ~20 IBU

Just brewed a saison yesterday with a touch of centennial and some lemon peel. I ran with the Belgian ale yeast. I didn't find there was any lag that I've heard a bit about with this yeast. It's just cruising along.

billygoat said:
I used the Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast yeast in Warras IPA. Have done this recipe 4 other times, usually using US05.
Pitched 2 rehydrated packets into a 1.073 wort and gave it 60 secs of O2. When I rehydrate US05 it puffs and creams up beautifully, the M44 didn't. Maybe I needed to give it more time than I do with the US05.
It took over 30 hours before there was any visible signs of action. It then formed a 50 mm krausen over the next 12 hours and didn't get much bigger. Ferment temperature was held at 19C.
After a week it was at a gravity of 1.028. When using 1 packet of US05 it would just about be at final gravity ( approx. 1.014). I increased the temperature to 21C.
after another 5 days it was at 1.014, which is an attenuation of about 81%, much the same as US05 (for me).
Kegged it and pressured it up over the next week.
Now after another 2 weeks I am drinking it and I think its the best AIPA I have done. The hops come through nice and clean, nice malt sweetness and plenty of aroma (was dry hopped in the fermenter in the second week of fermentation with Centennial) and seems quite dry but not over dry.
Overall, I am very happy with this yeast and will definitely use again.
The next pommy ale I do I am going to use the Burton Union yeast.

All signs of poor viability. I'm guessing with so many others reporting similar sluggish performance, that good handling of this yeast between production & sale is looking extremely questionable.

Ross

I think Viability can only be ascertained by a viability test so I wouldn't claim that but handling may be an issue.
How old are these yeasts ?
I am sure the slow performance may be in part due to the winter factor. I too have had a run of slow starts on liquid yeast but all ended the ferment.
Last ones have gone off now the warmer weather is here.
Nev

I prefer a quicker start, though my burton ale bitter is tasting very nice. I dropped my hydro so not sure what it's at at the moment. Bloody flimsy hydros!!!

1.010 from 1.034. I thought it'd go lower to be honest, as I don't mash hot, and don't use lots of crystal. Flavour wise I'm very happy so far. Seems to sit in between dry yeast and the liquids for character. Will keg tomorrow and try the day after haha. Will update when I'm drinking it. So far I'd use it again.

So a few weeks later i tried this again. It's quite cloudy, which is a bit odd but no big deal, and may have nothing to do with the yeast. Everything else is very very good.

Aroma: Bready, estery ( in a good way ), and marmalade/stone fruit.

Mouthfeel: crisp n dry as I like them to be. Refreshing.

Flavour: hoppy, light esters, crisp, a little zingy. Very drinkable.

Head etc: small head but good retention

For a low gravity bitter I think it's quite good. I reckon a dry hoppy ale would work best with this yeast. I have lots of challenger so in amongst the Belgians I'll do a full strength challenger pale ale. Kind of a TTL but with challenger. Will definitely use again

Latest posts

Back