Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally get a start in 12 hours with the M44.
I have used the Burton Union on a ESB and that was great.
Recently have used the Belgian Ale and that went from 1044 to 1006 in 24 hours. Finished a few days later at 1004. Light spice flavour and highly malty.

Spiesy said:
1005 FG, wow. What was your mash temp/schedule?
Mashed at:

20c/20m - mash in and adjust water profile
55c/10m - protein rest
66c/60m - B-Amalayse
78c/20m - mash out

indica86 said:
I generally get a start in 12 hours with the M44.
I have used the Burton Union on a ESB and that was great.
Recently have used the Belgian Ale and that went from 1044 to 1006 in 24 hours. Finished a few days later at 1004. Light spice flavour and highly malty.
I think the lag was from user error - I rehydrated at 32c and that would of only cooled to 25c by the time I pitched and the wort was at 17c. When the temp is +/- 5c from wort temp it dramatically effects the yeast, eg kills, shocks etc etc - something i now know

Do you rehydrate, add pure oxygen, yeast nutrient??

I dry pitch at 18°. None of the above. Last two were done in 3 and 4 days. They are both relaxing in the fermeezer now.

indica86 said:
I dry pitch at 18°. None of the above. Last two were done in 3 and 4 days. They are both relaxing in the fermeezer now.
What gravity and style beers are you doing this with?

The current APA went from 1044 to 1004 in 7 days.
The IPA went from 1056 to 1006 in the same time.
Both using M44, both smelling great.
Cold crashing now.

indica86 said:
The current APA went from 1044 to 1004 in 7 days.
The IPA went from 1056 to 1006 in the same time.
Both using M44, both smelling great.
Cold crashing now.
woah - thats 91% and 89% apparent attenuation! :blink:

What temps did you mash those at? did they have any adjuncts?

From all reports these Mangrove Jacks yeast are good attenuators.
I am starting to think if pitched at the right rate these would be great in big beers like Russian imperials etc.
Nev

Nothing but malted barley in those.
Beersmith says 66.7°, I'd say I'm not entirely sure but 65°-67° with a mash out.

AndrewQLD said:
The belgian Ale is a beast, my last Belgian started at 1.077 and finished at 1.004 and tasted very nice.
Just thought I'd add to this - I thought I'd make a nice, refreshing Belgian Pale Ale but at a lower ABV. OG was 1.048, mashed towards a fuller body/mouthfeel (longer rests at 69c and 72c than at the earlier sacc rest)…and this yeast chewed it out to 1.002! Closer to %6 than i had anticipated haha. Smells great, sample tasted good.

I will be using this as my go to yeast for saisons - I like the Belle Saison, but I prefer this (so far), as it reminds me more of the aggressive yet tart and refreshing wy3711 (not at all the same flavour profile, but closer to that IMHO than 3724 etc). Cheers.

Dry-pitched M07 British Ale to 1040° wort, room temp 19°c, wort was cooled down to 20°c - steady life already after only 2.5 hours, Speidel airlock pumps every 45 seconds. Not bad, thought these were supposed to be slow starters...

I received a M44 from MHB instead of a US05 so I am looking forward to seeing the difference between the two.

The fun of brewing, I get to experiment, I get to drink beer, I get to drink beer, I get to drink beer...

M44 is awesome. Really similar to BRY97 i think. Really hoppy beers come out a fair bit cleaner and crisper tasting than US05 i reckon.

DeGarre said:
Dry-pitched M07 British Ale to 1040° wort, room temp 19°c, wort was cooled down to 20°c - steady life already after only 2.5 hours, Speidel airlock pumps every 45 seconds. Not bad, thought these were supposed to be slow starters...
I have been enjoying my golden ale now for a few days and have to say for a clean crisp pale ale /ipa etc this yeast is even better than Notty (which basically is my house yeast) and S04.

Test bottle (golden ale) after 4 days:
P3130008_zpsbf748278.jpg

Very clean and neutral, no "English esters" whatsoever.Dry-pitched to 20°c 1040°wort at 19°c room temp, kept there for 13 days, bottled at 1009° ie 4.1% abv. Life 2.5h after pitching, final gravity reached after 5 days.

I saved the yeast cake for later use:
P3090006_zps1f4a4880.jpg

Notice how clean the FV is? To clean the krausen ring took no elbow grease at all. The yeast stuck to the bottom of the bottle very well. I think this is even far more neutral than Notty, and would work very well in IPAs etc. Top marks, couldn't say how a dry yeast could be better than this.

Good to hear that people are getting some good results. I'll have to give this a go in my next brew.

M44 - 54hrs for fermentation to start. FM!

Made a IPA - 1.066 wort mashed at 65c for 60mins and I re-hydrated 2 packets at 32c as per instructions then left to sit overnight. Cooled in the morning to 17c to match the FV temp. Wort was aerated during kettle to FV transfer then 60secs of pure O2 added. Raised temp after adding wort from 17c to 18c.......2.5 days to start fermenting!

I know this yeast will have good flocculation and high attenuation but it took ages, guess it was a good test of of sanitation techniques :)

Currently drinking an American red in which I used British Ale. Tasting pretty damn fine so far. Fermented at 18', clear in the keg within 5 days, low esters, clean ale yeast... happy days!

Pratty1 said:
I do not have that issue with M44. I have activity a lot faster than that

Pratty1 said:

Made a IPA - 1.066 wort mashed at 65c for 60mins and I re-hydrated 2 packets at 32c as per instructions then left to sit overnight. Cooled in the morning to 17c to match the FV temp. Wort was aerated during kettle to FV transfer then 60secs of pure O2 added. Raised temp after adding wort from 17c to 18c.......2.5 days to start fermenting!

I know this yeast will have good flocculation and high attenuation but it took ages, guess it was a good test of of sanitation techniques :)
Do they recommend you let it sit overnight?

Latest posts

Back