New mangrove jack craft series kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to know. They tend to charge a bit more and have classier looking marketing, but I didn't want to let that trick me into thinking they'd necessarily be better than Coopers. Although MJ's have better yeast and sometimes include hops so that's something.

its true on the yeast and hops. I never use the coopers yeast and pretty much always dry hop so that adds to the cost

on the negative for the MJ kits I find the pouch to be a messy pain to deal with . tin is way eaiser to get the dregs out without getting sticky crap everywhere

I totally agree with that. Haven't done an MJ's yet but I've been doing some craft ROTM's from Coopers and those little malt pouches are a massive pain compared to the tin.

From my calculations the Coopers selection tins and/or any decent recipe done using them ends up costing a bit - so it probably works out about the same if you're dry hopping or adding grains etc. Initially I got back into brewing to save money, but I'm less bothered about that now. If I can make a decent beer - 23litres for say $50 that's still loads better than buying a carton of War Hog - for which I'd have to draw back on the mortgage :p

I totally agree with that. Haven't done an MJ's yet but I've been doing some craft ROTM's from Coopers and those little malt pouches are a massive pain compared to the tin.

From my calculations the Coopers selection tins and/or any decent recipe done using them ends up costing a bit - so it probably works out about the same if you're dry hopping or adding grains etc. Initially I got back into brewing to save money, but I'm less bothered about that now. If I can make a decent beer - 23litres for say $50 that's still loads better than buying a carton of War Hog - for which I'd have to draw back on the mortgage :p

$50 is a bargain! I brewed an IPA and total cost came to $90!!!

$50 is a bargain! I brewed an IPA and total cost came to $90!!!

Wtf! How did that come about you must be buying your hops at a inflated rate or something.

Try brewman.

$50 was for a stout. Seems like stouts are an easy beer to do well with kits n bits. A lot of the AG and extract/kit recipe packs for big IPA's seem to be around that $90 at some of my local HBS's. Unless they're only using one type of hops. I've heard Yakima valley in the US is good for bulk hops - might look at Brewman too. My local store tends to be a bit pricey. Any other stores I should know about?

Ended up ordering the Pink Grapefruit plus a grain pack so I'll see how I go.

I use this fella:

mashout.com.au

He's based in Perth, but happy to post. Great prices and great service.......

I've done the Raspberry and Lime Cider for the wife. Turned out OK. But next time I will up the lime by using zest I reckon. Not enough lime flavour in the kit.

Can I jump on this thread with another question.

My missus wants a cider and given I don't have apples or a crushed I figured a kits the go.
She doesn't like really sweet cider so is there a way with the mangrove jacks apple cider to make it less sweet?

Haven't tried it but from what I've read it's a sugar bomb.

The raspberry and Lime cuts through the sweetness pretty well.

Just put down the MJ craft series stout with 1kg dark dme, 200g of steeped roasted barley, 100g of steeped Carapils (I add this to everything these days, the head it creates is just amazingly creamy) and a goldings teabag steeped for 2 minutes then added to fermenter. Pitehed the included m43 new world strong ale yeast. Will keep you lads posted.

Well I was put off after the LHBS recommended their "craft" cider, which turned out to be very average.
Also expensive.
Granted good cider is damned hard to make, mostly the result never tastes like traditional cider should.
As for their yeasts, difficult to sort the best from the general run of the mill average.
Mostly kit beers use a robust, "never fail" yeast which will ferment anywhere between 20 & 28.
If you have control of ferment temp just use the Fermentis US 05 at about 18/19.
BTW this yeast can be reused at least several times just collect the lot, refrigerate, & slowly allow to come to about 22 before pitching. I try to store for not more than 2 weeks. Results have been indistinguishable from as bought. I don't wash the yeast & don't fuss greatly about re-hydration; after all it's already hydrated>

Latest posts

Back