Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my first experience with M29 French Saison, I doubt I could pick it in a side-by-side with Belle Saison. Hungry little bugger. Tasty too.
I pitched the M29 yesterday morning into wort in a 23L glass demijohn. In SE QLD it is a fairly constant mid-high 20's at the moment which suits instructions on the packet. Ferment was very vigorous after 24 hours. Decent 4cm krausen. It's interesting to see just how active the yeast is through the glass.

Seeing as this looks to be the biggest thread on MJ yeasts I thought I'd post my findings on the M36 - Liberty Bell yeast.

Used it on a rye APA and was impressed with its quick take off. I have experienced slow starts with both the M44 and especially the California Lager M54 strain - but this one was off in under 10 hours. The thing that got me was just how low the turbidity is on this yeast while actively fermenting. It chewed through 40 grav points in 96 hours and without crash cooling this thing was almost crystal clear at that point.

Looking forward to carbing this one up.

For that OG, yeah it should be fine - provided that the sachet has been kept cold most of the time and isn't really, really old
I was told by the LHBS that as this was a dry yeast it may take some time to start fermenting however within 10 hours the airlock on my batch of Scottish Export is bubbling like crazy!

Judging off my own experience and what I have read elsewhere it is a blend of two yeasts, one fast acting and another much slower.

Even so it doesn't attenuate that well and does need time to condition, tastes a bit yeasty and masks malt flavour early on.

Judging off my own experience and what I have read elsewhere it is a blend of two yeasts, one fast acting and another much slower.

Even so it doesn't attenuate that well and does need time to condition, tastes a bit yeasty and masks malt flavour early on.
I measured the SG and its come down 22 points from 1042 in 2 days, so in your experience would you expect this to drop further even though I can't see any bubbling at all in the airlock?

Probably will drop a little more, I would expect about 60% AA. A little extra time in the fermenter certainly won't hurt.

Probably will drop a little more, I would expect about 60% AA. A little extra time in the fermenter certainly won't hurt.
I'm hoping it drops to at least 1012 so I'll test it again after its been fermenting a week, normally on my previous dozen brews or so fermentation has finished by then and I leave it a further week. Just not seen airlock activity apparently finish in less than 48 hours.

I'm hoping it drops to at least 1012 so I'll test it again after its been fermenting a week, normally on my previous dozen brews or so fermentation has finished by then and I leave it a further week. Just not seen airlock activity apparently finish in less than 48 hours.

Never judge anything by airlock activity. Only ever trust your hydrometer readings. You're not watching it all of the time, it may still be fermenting slowly, and you're just not seeing the bubbling when it happens

Don't go too much on airlock activity go on change in sg. That said I leave my brews around 2 weeks before testing and they are always done by then. Rea
Where did you read that?
I don't remember, it was an overseas forum, I have had a quick Google and can't find it now. I should say it was someone's opinion based on their observations. Which I tend to agree with as it ferments really well hard for a few days then takes ages to finish up

I thought I'd post my findings on the M36 - Liberty Bell yeast.
It's pretty great hey, I've been using it for the last coupe brews and really impressed with it, will definitely use it again!

Don't go too much on airlock activity go on change in sg. That said I leave my brews around 2 weeks before testing and they are always done by then. Rea

I don't remember, it was an overseas forum, I have had a quick Google and can't find it now. I should say it was someone's opinion based on their observations. Which I tend to agree with as it ferments really well hard for a few days then takes ages to finish up
Maybe it was this forum, as it has some good observations on Mangrove Jack yeasts and includes the M15 ?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/mangrove-jacks-yeasts-review-m15-m36-m42-m44-m54.645584/

Latest posts

Back