Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, unless the 'new' yeasts have the exact same descriptions, they're playing the Burton's got a new name game...

10991753_10208533987378298_8960020915722482787_o.jpg

12747954_10208534041099641_7056461089113893009_o.jpg

12771929_10208534044459725_187367686474604769_o.jpg

12710771_10208534045859760_3852213477989188974_o.jpg

I just ordered a bunch including the tripel. There is very little info on them.

The Abbey and California common look interesting.

Yeah I picked up the tripel last night, gonna throw it into a belgian pale so we'll see how it goes. I'm also gonna have a second go at an anchor steam clone with the cali lager next....

So I dry pitched the M31 into 19L of 1.051 wort at 20deg on monday morning, by thursday afternoon it had hit 1.010. Fastest ferment I have ever had, and it tastes ******* delicious to boot! Apologies for the profanity, pretty excited about this one :) will definitely be taking care of this yeast for a few generations to come.

As reported in the "Super Stout" thread, on Sunday I pitched a single pack of M42 New World Strong Ale into an oxygenated Foreign Extra Stout, and six days later it's cleared from the top, I'll leave for a few days and bottle.
It's been between 16 and 18 now back to 16. The initial fermentation was vigorous but not volcanic.
OG: 1.079

Highly recommend. I've had really good results with all their series so far and even confident to use the M76 Bohemian Lager in a forthcoming comp beer (a Classic American Pilsner). I used it with one of their own cans, the Bo Pils as a quick keg filler with an amber Brew Enhancer mix from the LHBS and it was hard to pick that it was out of a tin.

So I've tried the UK Dark Ale, which is now the Empire Ale I believe, next to WLP023 in a brown ale (Maris Otter, Cara-amber, heap of pale choc).

I would actually suggest the Empire Ale is closest to Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire) - has a very bready, nutty character in contrast with the pear/cherry of the Burton ale. Very clear and moderate attenuation - 65% with a mash temp at 68°C. Solid yeast, very impressed actually... assuming the Empire Ale is the same.

From my first experience with M29 French Saison, I doubt I could pick it in a side-by-side with Belle Saison. Hungry little bugger. Tasty too.

Malty Cultural said:
From my first experience with M29 French Saison, I doubt I could pick it in a side-by-side with Belle Saison.
Actually, I take that back. My impressions are that a young M29 tastes like a young Belle Saison, but that they have mellowed quite differently. Belle seems to give me pears, pepper and lemon, whereas M29 has mild banana and clove.

I just tested my pilsner that I made with Mangrove Jack's M84 Bohemian Lager.
Out of this world and I'm really happy. Was a little hesitant but it's really nice.

Yesterday afternoon I made two worts, both extract: an IPA and a California Common Steam beer style. Used M42 for the IPA and M54 California Lager for the Steam beer. At 6am today the M42 has created a very healthy looking krausen and the airlock activity is vigorous. I don't think I have seen a yeast work so fast. Looking forward to tasting.
Has anyone else tried the M54?

kalbarluke said:
..........Has anyone else tried the M54?
Only a small thread, but it looks pretty positive: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/89716-mangrove-jacks-m54/

I'm fermenting with it now for the first time. I pitched at 17C, set the fridge to 18C and the fermentation activity took the liquid temperature as high as 20C which is the maximum recommended for this strain. It took off pretty quickly and is slowing down now on day five.

My wort was close to 100% pils malt to help me assess the yeast once it's all done, so not really a typical steam beer. I'm hoping it will be more than just "clean" and will genuinely taste like a lager.

So, as someone who has never used MJ dried yeast, for no other reason than I have never had ready access to it, after reading this thread and looking at retailers, you'd be a dill to think MJ yeasts aren't a credible yeasts and great value for the costs. I know the next few yeasts I will buy for upcoming brews.

Good thread, great feedback and a reason why AHB is still a credible reference source, well once you get rid of the bullshitters comments.

Malty Cultural said:
Only a small thread, but it looks pretty positive: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/89716-mangrove-jacks-m54/

I'm fermenting with it now for the first time. I pitched at 17C, set the fridge to 18C and the fermentation activity took the liquid temperature as high as 20C which is the maximum recommended for this strain. It took off pretty quickly and is slowing down now on day five.

My wort was close to 100% pils malt to help me assess the yeast once it's all done, so not really a typical steam beer. I'm hoping it will be more than just "clean" and will genuinely taste like a lager.
I've used it in a Cali Lager and in a Pils. Fantastic yeast. Super clean, malty pils, fermented at 18...

Fatgodzilla said:
So, as someone who has never used MJ dried yeast, for no other reason than I have never had ready access to it, after reading this thread and looking at retailers, you'd be a dill to think MJ yeasts aren't a credible yeasts and great value for the costs. I know the next few yeasts I will buy for upcoming brews.

Good thread, great feedback and a reason why AHB is still a credible reference source, well once you get rid of the bullshitters comments.
I'm yet to have a bad experience with any of the MJ dry yeasts. I've used the West Coast and New World Strong for hoppy pales, which came out clean and with great hop profiles; Empire Ale for a brown ale and ESB, both nice and malty with subtle esters; the French Saison, which was drinkable within a week, and scored 8s/9s in a comp at 2 weeks post pitch!

The biggest test will be the batch that I'm about to pitch - trying their Bavarian Wheat yeast. I'm yet to find a good dried hefe yeast! (WB-06 being ok, if pushed really high in temp)

I must admit I've got about 6 Wyeasts sitting in the fridge but my last 6 brews I've gone straight to a MJ or slurry as first choice. Pity that a similar range didn't get put out by someone years ago.

Just made 3 beers from the a packet of M44 West Coast, all turned out great!

Base Jumper Ale - 4%, 20ibu with Galaxy and Mosaic

Brooklyn XPA - 6%, 50Ibu with Brooklyn

Oatmeal Stout - 5.5%, 28ibu on nitro.

I kept the yeast slurry from the 4% ale and split that into 2 healthy pitches for the XPA and Stout.

Will be exploring a few others

I have used the Bavarian Wheat. It liked a warmer temp to bring out the flavours in the two batches at different temps I did.

I repitched it into a weizenbock style beer and it was great.

The French saison I used with orange peel and it was a great beer. Fermented mid 20s.

What temp did you ferment the Bavarian wheat at? I did mine at about 21avg and found the flavours a bit subdued. Was a little disappointed as I like a bit if banana but only got a hint and mild clove. Will have a crack at 23 next time with a ferrulic acid rest to get more clove out of it.

I'll still keep a few packs in the fridge for convenience, but if I can grab wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 easily, I would go for that instead.

Back