Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried a couple of the yeasts so far, and have some more beer on one now.

West Coast.
The first generation was put onto a Citra IPA. I'd brewed 4 x cubes of this and the other 3 cubes had been done on US-05, so I was really interested in this. It took off like a rocket, and blew it's krauzen load into my fermenting fridge. It finished out pretty quick, but I still left of for a few extra days. It floc'd out really clean. On tasting the beer, not impressed. Whilst it was clean tasting with no yeast byproducts, the hop aroma was completely gone. It also attenuated a lot more than US-5 leaving the beer dry and very bitter. I then split the yeast cake and fired up 2 more batches, I kept these at 16.5c to help keep the krauzen monster down, but they still made a mess. The resulting beer was not as dry as the first one, but still lacked any considerable aroma.

Last weekend I went to a mates place who had fermented my house beer, a MID APA (borrowed a couple of cubes from me) and who also had used West Coast. This is a beer I have brewed over 100 times. The beer was barely drinkable, with an extreme attenuation level and very bitter, with no aroma.

If I was brewing for this yeast I could change the mash to suit and attempt to leave some body in the beer, but with the issue of the aroma I won't be using it again.

Burton Union
I pitched this onto a Golden Ale at 17.5c. Good sized krauzen without being overly aggressive, and smelt really nice during the ferment. I'd recently made the same recipe and fermented on US-05 so the comparison was expected to be very different. On tasting I picked up some esters which I enjoyed in the beer, but the big note was the caramel. It was quite there for 6% Crystal Med. Over a couple of weeks in the keg I found the caramel subsided a bit and the beer became more dry.

I'm currently brewing a Brown Ale on the yeast and am looking forward to it. This is on my to use again list, and has made me want to the the British Ale yeast.

Work Horse
I've heard good reviews that this may be an US-05 alternative, and have a packet currently fermenting an Aussie Gold.

I had the same experience with the West Coast and British Ale it ruined 60L of beer, first brew was rehydrated west coast then did a re brew and pitched some slurry and it got drier and drier to the point of undrinkable, then did same recipe again with the British Ale, suffice to say I won't be using any more of there yeasts on the experience I have had, It all seems to finish way to dry for my liking I prefer my beer wet

Can I ask what mash temps were you using Kev? I've only used the Burton Union yeast and it's only been in the keg a few days. I mashed at 67c with a rest at 72c then mahout at 77c. I only got 62% attenuation from it (recipe had 4.5% caraaroma and 4.5% biscuit). I must say, it tastes and smells very nice so far, but I was a bit surprised as it gets a 4/5 attenuation rating in the literature. I will try it at 66c next time, or maybe include a lower step. I would have thought 1.016 (OG 1.053) would have been achievable.

Still, I will report back upon tasting and further experimentation. Next off is the British Ale yeast into an IPA.

I don't care if they are high or low attenuators, just what they taste like. If they throw good flavours then the rest of brew can be designed around their other characteristics. It's early days with these yeasts.

I met the rep for these guys at Melbourne good beer week earlier this year and he gave me a sample pack (he was the funniest cuzzy bro you have ever met).

I can not say a bad word about any of these yeasts, and I have almost used them all.

The burton union was the yeast I used in the brown ale that took out the BABBs mini comp the other week.

Just wish you could buy them somewhere.... Does anyone know who stocks them in Bris?

...and found the attenuation fine on the Burton Union yeast?

I notice the National HB sponsor has them listed, I'll be buying a few more via post if the rest have good flavours and results like the above are being found.

I noticed Gympie Home Brew has them, I'm going stop by next time I'm in town and give a couple a go.

Batz

JasonP said:
How did the Brown Ale turn out? I've been given a pack of the Newcastle Darl Ale and thinking of brewing a brown ale. Was it a low attenuator?
Sorry Jason, i missed this one.

It turned out pretty well actually, nice subtle ester profile, not over the top. Easy session beer actually. Took about 8 days from memory and left a nice residual maltiness / slight sweetness as i was aiming for.

Will be puting down a Belgian golden strong this weekend on the Belgian one again. It's a cracker, finishes them up nice and dry.

Overall, most people have had a pretty strong, positive response to the range.

Martin

The Golden ale was a 55/5, 62/35, 72/25, 77/5. It's a mash schedule I use often.

The homebrew shop up here has the full range of the Mangrove Jack yeasts.

I have been following reviews of these yeasts on US and UK forums as well. I have seen comparisons made of the Bavarian Wheat to 3638 and the Burton Union to 1275 (Thames Valley, reputedly a Brakspear yeast).

It would be great if these dry yeasts were in those respective ballparks.

Has anyone found these in Perth yet?

King Brown Brewing said:
I met the rep for these guys at Melbourne good beer week earlier this year and he gave me a sample pack (he was the funniest cuzzy bro you have ever met).

I can not say a bad word about any of these yeasts, and I have almost used them all.

The burton union was the yeast I used in the brown ale that took out the BABBs mini comp the other week.

Just wish you could buy them somewhere.... Does anyone know who stocks them in Bris?
Mike's Homebrew in Beenleigh stocks them.

I've got something fermenting away with the Burton union yeast now. I pitched on sunday morning, and the temp has been consistent around 18 since then. I'm only just getting krausen now. Holy lag time batman! Think next time I'll try the dark ale yeast, I've read that tends to go off like a rocket.

Brewcraft shops have started stocking these yeasts in Perth (and I assume nationally). I picked up the M20 Bavarian Wheat and M79Burton Union today. Now, if I could just find time to brew........

I'll try the M20 first as I have heard that it is quite different to WB-06 and Munich. To me, a proper weizen yeast is the holy grail of dry yeast. Here's hoping.

King Brown Brewing said:

The homebrew shop at strathpine sells them.

Burton union sounds interesting. I've never liked the beers I've made with s04, though it'd be great to get a character filled uk ale with a dry yeast. I really like the liquid burton strains but I haven't had success with consistency. Some beers are sensational, others are a bit too estery, even with near identical ferments. I just can't seem to figure out the conditions they like. Most other uk strains I'm very happy with, just the burton strains seem tricky for me. This seems worth a shot though. Will keep an eye on this thread.

I've made a couple of ESBs with MJ Burton yeast, and it turned out quite nice. :)

Put an order in for 2 packs each of the dark ale and burton yeast. More than likely do a double batch of both mild and brown ale, then ferment both the mild and brown with both so I can compare in the same beer. That sentence reads so much more complicated than it is haha

wbosher said:
I've made a couple of ESBs with MJ Burton yeast, and it turned out quite nice. :)
I have a ESB done with MJ Burton, going to crack the keg happy hour this arvo. :beer:

Batz

Batz said:
I have a ESB done with MJ Burton, going to crack the keg happy hour this arvo. :beer:

Batz
Looking forward to your report. I would also be keen to hear how this yeast behaved for you during fermentation.

I have read a few mixed reviews about its performance, with a common theme being that it's a slow starter and a slow floccer. Those aren't show-stoppers in my view; it just means you have to go in with your eyes open and exercise a little patience.

Malty Cultural said:
Looking forward to your report. I would also be keen to hear how this yeast behaved for you during fermentation.

I have read a few mixed reviews about its performance, with a common theme being that it's a slow starter and a slow floccer. Those aren't show-stoppers in my view; it just means you have to go in with your eyes open and exercise a little patience.
Drinking it now, esters are quite pronounced, a little too much for my liking.

If I were to use a dried yeast for this beer (ESB) I think Nottingham brewed cooler would be better. I should have used my old favourite Wyeast 1318. I won't be using MJ Burton again.

Batz

Back