Maintaining sanitation on commercially packaged dry yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelbBrew

Reaction score
IMG_1316.JPG

Picked up some dry yeast today from KK. It seems they break down bulk packs into individual vac sealed packets (website info in photo).

Has anyone had any experience with these oversized sachets (be it US-05 or S-04)? I guess my concern is sanitation / possible contamination when they’re packaging from bulk to individualised sachets.

Am I just being overly sensitive ?

Don't stress about it.
My neighbour who is a wine maker gave me a 500g brick of Nottingham ale yeast 4-5 years ago and I split it up into foil vac sealed pouches just like the photo above and kept them in the fridge. I'm still using them today with no issues, used one in a pale ale just last week.

Just be careful with repackaged yeast, the second that that 500g pack is opened oxygen starts its work (and it is not on your side).
I have long (nearing 20 years) argued against the practice, though Craftbrewer have been doing it for years with apparently no problems so I see no real problems with Keg King doing so.
Admittedly my main gripe has been with now almost extinct practice of repackaging into cheap ziplocks.

Back