The Yeast Bay strains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting read, goes to show how much we don't know about beer brewing, despite it has been happening for thousands of years!
Lot's more to learn, love it! :)

So I looking at that, I think I aught to make a 5th 5L batch, with Vermont and WLP645, as that is a real Brett culture that gives away similar flavours to the funktown yeast (thinking fruity, pineapple like aromas)... :)

New combinations are always new data and exciting!

Try it out and report back :)

Hey everyone, novice brewer here. Today I'm gonna chuck a pale ale wort kit in the fermenter with some extra wheat malt, dex & a vial of Funktown yeast. 19lt batch but it won't be a super high gravity brew. Will dry hop with galaxy & citra.

My question is about bottle priming because I don't have a keg setup yet. I plan to prime half the batch normally in PET tallies and half prime the remainder in glass tallies so I can revisit them a few months down the track.

Would this be the safest option or can anyone suggest a better method?

Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to this beer.

fattox said:
Worked it out. Follow this to add it to your own library

[SIZE=11pt]Opening a BeerSmith 2 File (*.BSMX)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] Select the Open command from the file menu or toolbar.
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] Navigate to the file you wish to open - all BeerSmith 2 files use a proprietary XML format with the extension (.bsmx) such as "Recipes.bsmx"
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] Press OK to open the file
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] The file you just opened will be displayed in a separate tab with the file name as the title for the tab. When you close this tab you will be asked if you want to save the items in this file.
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] To permanently keep items in the open file, you need to copy and paste them into your "My Recipes" folder or one of the Ingredients or Profiles folders for future use.

Thanks mate! I assume you mean open the .bsmx, select all, "copy" and then open the "yeast" file under "ingredients" from the menu tab and then "paste" the files there.

This is the method I used from your advice, worked well. Cheers.

maaark said:
Hey everyone, novice brewer here. Today I'm gonna chuck a pale ale wort kit in the fermenter with some extra wheat malt, dex & a vial of Funktown yeast. 19lt batch but it won't be a super high gravity brew. Will dry hop with galaxy & citra.
My question is about bottle priming because I don't have a keg setup yet. I plan to prime half the batch normally in PET tallies and half prime the remainder in glass tallies so I can revisit them a few months down the track.
Would this be the safest option or can anyone suggest a better method?
Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to this beer.
Be aware of final gravity before bottling in glass. Make sure it's under 1.010 at least, closer to 1.005. I use champagne bottles and make sure it's stable over a week at least ( preferably 2 ). Safest is to leave it in primary a good 2 weeks at least ( strain dependant, I haven't used that one ).

Enjoy the funk :)

About a fortnight ago I put together an Oktoberfest which will be too late for this year but should be ideal for Oktoberfest in March. It had quite a bit of vienna and munich in it and, since my last one was just a tad too rich and sweet, I wanted a little more attenuation. So the Yeast Bay Hessian Pilsner yeast was used.

Made a plenty big starter and pitched at 4c and let it climb to 7C. They recommend 7-8C for fermentation, but I found it was only dropping about 2 or 3 brewers points a day @7C, and only got 3 points a day @8C. I'm away for a fortnight, so just to encourage it a bit more it was upped to 9C, so it'll be interesting to see if its finished when I get back. But I've got high hopes for this one and suspect it will turn out to be boodyful.

mje1980 said:
Enjoy the funk :)
Thanks MJE. I used belle saison once and I gave that about 3 weeks in the primary to make sure she was all finished up before bottling so I'll take the same care (or more) with Funktown.

Pitched 1 vial (no starter) into a 20lt 1052 wort on Saturday afternoon. After about 28 hours there was a small layer of foam forming. Woke up this morning after giving it another 8 hours or so and there was a 2 inch krausen so it's well on the move. Sitting at about 21 degrees C.

Was a big fan of 100% Amalgamation in a RyeIPA with Motueka and Simcoe. Started super fruity but started to become funky after about a month. Reminded me of a fruity Orval.

Was also a big fan of the saison blend. Vermont and wallonian were also very good. Used the saison Brett blend, but on a fresh wort kit that I was suss about.. I'm thinking that I'll brew up a proper saison and pitch the saison Brett blend dregs into a starter for secondary.

I just pitched a mega ******* culture featuring the farmhouse sour, Brett amalgamation, melange and probably something else too from these guys, as well as a vial of dregs from a 100L lambic batch done on bug county and my own lambic dregs with Belgian sour mix. All into a Flanders red. I did a rye saison on wallonian farmhouse that was pretty tasty as well, did my swap beer recently on franconian dark lager and it's pretty solid, and got a vial of hessian pils to use too lol

maaark said:
Pitched 1 vial (no starter) into a 20lt 1052 wort on Saturday afternoon. After about 28 hours there was a small layer of foam forming. Woke up this morning after giving it another 8 hours or so and there was a 2 inch krausen so it's well on the move. Sitting at about 21 degrees C.
OK, so the funktown had been sitting at 1006 for 6 days so last night I went to bottle it, took a gravity reading beforehand and now it is down to 1004 :huh:

I will give it until the weekend to see if it moves again before I bottle it, which will make it a total of 4 weeks in the FV. I'll bottle into PET or under-primed glass. It tastes delicious though, heaps of sweet pineapple flavour.

Nice mate ! I've still got a lochristi sitting there. Debating whether to just use it on a cube of golden ale I've got sitting there. Will make a starter and leave it in the stir plate for a week first though.

fattox said:
I just pitched a mega ******* culture featuring the farmhouse sour, Brett amalgamation, melange and probably something else too from these guys, as well as a vial of dregs from a 100L lambic batch done on bug county and my own lambic dregs with Belgian sour mix. All into a Flanders red. I did a rye saison on wallonian farmhouse that was pretty tasty as well, did my swap beer recently on franconian dark lager and it's pretty solid, and got a vial of hessian pils to use too lol
How did you get Bug County in Australia? I'm planning to re-use some Bug County dregs that I'm bringing over from the States (assuming that Customs doesn't force me to dump the keg), but I'd love to be able to source ECY blends in AUS. Those vials are difficult enough to buy in the States, so I'm surprised someone in AUS has been able to get a hold of some.

antiphile said:
About a fortnight ago I put together an Oktoberfest which will be too late for this year but should be ideal for Oktoberfest in March. It had quite a bit of vienna and munich in it and, since my last one was just a tad too rich and sweet, I wanted a little more attenuation. So the Yeast Bay Hessian Pilsner yeast was used.

Made a plenty big starter and pitched at 4c and let it climb to 7C. They recommend 7-8C for fermentation, but I found it was only dropping about 2 or 3 brewers points a day @7C, and only got 3 points a day @8C. I'm away for a fortnight, so just to encourage it a bit more it was upped to 9C, so it'll be interesting to see if its finished when I get back. But I've got high hopes for this one and suspect it will turn out to be boodyful.
If memory serves you said this went quite well when I was talking to you at the swap? I've got a vial sitting in the fridge but may source a few more, spin up a monster culture and split it with Ben on a German lager of some sort

hirschb said:
How did you get Bug County in Australia? I'm planning to re-use some Bug County dregs that I'm bringing over from the States (assuming that Customs doesn't force me to dump the keg), but I'd love to be able to source ECY blends in AUS. Those vials are difficult enough to buy in the States, so I'm surprised someone in AUS has been able to get a hold of some.
Beersuit managed to find it (**** knows how) and get some over to Toowoomba Home brewers.
They did a lambic on it and barrel aged it, I got a vial of that off him.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1450708606.256512.jpg
This is the Flanders red at 4 months old

What temp are you doing the flanders at mate? Im looking to put down a 100l barrel with red, beginning of next year

seehuusen said:
What temp are you doing the flanders at mate? Im looking to put down a 100l barrel with red, beginning of next year
I see you are also getting one of Martin's barrels!

Hmm low 20's at the moment IIRC, about 22-23. I have a dedicated sour fridge that just has bug beers living in it

fattox said:
If memory serves you said this went quite well when I was talking to you at the swap? I've got a vial sitting in the fridge but may source a few more, spin up a monster culture and split it with Ben on a German lager of some sort
Sorry, Big Boy. I missed this one. I was very happy how it turned out except for me slighly overpriming it. It really is a lovely yeast if a little slower than some others. But I'm definately using it again. Included is the recipe (beersmith) and the fermentation profile (excel).

Cheers mate

View attachment Okt-3-1.1.bsmx

View attachment OKT-AG-03.xlsx

I hate to be one of those guys stressing out about whether my yeast has stalled, but ...

Right now I'm using some TYB Franconian Dark Lager, which I'd really been looking forward to using. Building up the starter for it went like clockwork.

I've got a lager with an OG of 1.057. I pitched roughly 500bn cells. As well as a lot of shaking I also gave it an initial blast of 90 seconds of pure O2 just before I pitched yeast into 8C wort.
1 day later I let temp rise to 8.9C,
5 more days later I tested gravity (~1.034 but hard to be accurate because of the huge amount of CO2 fizz),
3 more days later I tested gravity again and it was (less fizzy) about 1.032. So I allowed the temperature to rise to 9.7C.
2 more days later I tested gravity and it was still at 1.032. So I allowed temperature to rise to 10.5C.

I'm waiting for it to reach 67% attenuation (~1.018) before I bump temperature for diacetyl rest.

I'm not worried about how long it's taking (although most lagers I've done - admittedly all at ~11C - have been 67% attenuated within 6 days). What's got me worried is that it seems to have parked itself at ~1.032 for the past 5 days (out of 11 total).

Should I RDWHAHB? Or should I take some sort of action?

I'd just start ramping the temp now personally. Dunno if that's right or not. since it's been sitting there doing nothing for 5 days you might wanna give a little rouse too.

Back