The Yeast Bay strains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My funkytown brew (vermont ale and a brett strain) is still quite cloudy in the fermenter. I haven't cold crashed it yet.

The site lists it as medium-low flocculation - and the pics you can google of Heady Topper look pretty murky anyway, though that might be from all the hops!

How low did your saison get?

That recipe looks the goods too. I reckon the Wallonian will suit it right down to the ground. Make sure you have loads of headspace in your fermenter or a blowoff tube!

Been in the fermenter for two weeks.
OG 1053, Hydro sample is at 1012.
Your are right about the grapefruit and orange, hydro sample tasted good as well.

I might let it go for another week, then if the same gravity, Ill bottle it

Can you bump the temp for a bit? Throw a heatbelt around it if you have one?

Can do Nick, no heat wave up here in Brissie..

Grain bill was just 90% Pilsner, 10% wheat.

I've kegged and been drinking my very basic Funktown pale ale - it's come out crystal, crystal clear after (warm) conditioning in the keg for about a week. Surprised me there! Pics to come soon.

I'm getting some lovely overripe pawpaw/papaya and clean "stonefruit" in the nose. It's not quite peachy, not quite nectarine, not quite apricot and very sniffable! Not as strong a tropical whack as a plain Brett Trois fermentation, but has that something extra nevertheless. Next fermentation I'll push the temp a bit higher and see how it changes.

I've got 2 vials of the Conan strain (Vermont) sitting in my fridge, and will be putting out a monster starter with one in the coming week. The other will be used to make another starter but these will be for long-term storage in both the vials I have, and a few more that are coming.

I just ordered the Beersel blend, Saison Brett blend and some lacto through you as well (deferred shipping to Monday to stop them sitting all weekend in a hot warehouse!!) and am pretty keen to get started with these. Basically the plan is to throw the beersel blend into a wild ale of some description (haven't nutted it out 100% yet), and keep adding random dregs of sours and wilds into the fermenter as I go. Currently have a bottle of Rubus Maximus with the dregs sitting and waiting for this to go on, to get some real funk happening.

I'll keep updated on the Heady clone I do with Conan, but I imagine it will get better up to about the 10th repitch from what I've seen on the AHA interview with the main guy from The Alchemist. He was saying 10 batches and it starts to lose those fruity esters/phenolics that it's known for. It's a fantastic beer, even on US-05.

Nice work fattox!

My topper clone is churning away behind me as I type. Smells really, really nice. About to do the first dry hop tomorrow. It is a great recipe, and I sell a kit to make it on the site, including the hopshot and yeast etc. Not a cheap beer to clone though!

I've got a beersel getting funky in the back of the warehouse, and I'm going to break out the saison/brett blend this week as well, so it's good and ready for when the weather warms up.

I must say I've been really impressed with the Yeast Bay yeasts so far.

Ive just bottled my Saison using the Saison Blend.
Ended up coming out nice and dry, with grapefruit and orange aromas.
Next up is the Saison Brett blend.
Loving these strains..

Bottled 2 batches of my latest Witbier using Northeastern Abbey.

20ltr batch split 2x10ltrs. Fermented one at ambient room temp, approx 16-17c. The other in my fermentation fridge with the stc set at 19c. Both fermented very similarly, though the ambient temp was definitely throwing more aroma off.

Both fermented fine from 1.048 to 1.010. Bottled the other night. The ambient batch definitely had a tart edge to the flavour and a brighter nose. The other batch definitely had a more Belgian characteristic to it, more orange driven nose and an ever so slight alcohol flavour. Both show promise but they are different beers at this stage. Now to wait 2 weeks while they carb and then compare properly!

Nick R said:
Nice work fattox!

My topper clone is churning away behind me as I type. Smells really, really nice. About to do the first dry hop tomorrow. It is a great recipe, and I sell a kit to make it on the site, including the hopshot and yeast etc. Not a cheap beer to clone though!

I've got a beersel getting funky in the back of the warehouse, and I'm going to break out the saison/brett blend this week as well, so it's good and ready for when the weather warms up.

I must say I've been really impressed with the Yeast Bay yeasts so far.
Hopshot you say? I'll share my recipe, all hops!
For a 20.8 litre (5.5 gallon) batch:

91.6% TF Pearl
2.3% TF Caramalt
6.1% Turbinado (Demerara) at last 10 mins of boil

All hops are 1 ounce (28.4 grams) unless otherwise noted
Magnum @ 60
Simcoe @ 30
Apollo, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Simcoe @ flameout, 30 mins steep/whirlpool
Ferment out to 1.014ish, OG of 1.071
Dry Hop 1 - Chinook, Apollo, Simcoe for 4 days. Rack to new vessel
Dry Hop 2 - Simcoe, Centennial for 4 days. Rack to keg. Let it age for a few days in the keg, so the hops have time to mellow.

Our personal opinions were that it was at its' best after about 3-4 days after being fully carbonated. Absolute cracker of a beer. Whether or not this is the right recipe, it's fantastic regardless!

Also for what it's worth, I've made up a Beersmith file for any interested in using the yeasts, with relevant info gleaned from the yeast bay. If I can work out how to attach files I will

Worked it out. Follow this to add it to your own library

[SIZE=11pt]Opening a BeerSmith 2 File (*.BSMX)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE]

Select the Open command from the file menu or toolbar.

[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE]

Navigate to the file you wish to open - all BeerSmith 2 files use a proprietary XML format with the extension (.bsmx) such as "Recipes.bsmx"

[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE]

Press OK to open the file

[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE]

The file you just opened will be displayed in a separate tab with the file name as the title for the tab. When you close this tab you will be asked if you want to save the items in this file.

[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE]

To permanently keep items in the open file, you need to copy and paste them into your "My Recipes" folder or one of the Ingredients or Profiles folders for future use.

View attachment The Yeast Bay yeasts.bsmx

fattox said:
Worked it out. Follow this to add it to your own library

[SIZE=11pt]Opening a BeerSmith 2 File (*.BSMX)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] Select the Open command from the file menu or toolbar.
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] Navigate to the file you wish to open - all BeerSmith 2 files use a proprietary XML format with the extension (.bsmx) such as "Recipes.bsmx"
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] Press OK to open the file
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] The file you just opened will be displayed in a separate tab with the file name as the title for the tab. When you close this tab you will be asked if you want to save the items in this file.
[SIZE=10pt]o[/SIZE] To permanently keep items in the open file, you need to copy and paste them into your "My Recipes" folder or one of the Ingredients or Profiles folders for future use.
thanks fattox

Good stuff! Thanks fattox - do you mind if I chuck that on my site?

Go for it mate. That's what it's there for!! I didn't know whether they had specific WLP numbers as they're done under contract or whatever by WLP, so I just made up product numbers for them but at the end of the day, search The Yeast Bay on Beersmith after installing this and it'll show up with them. I've included some of the newer strains they're working on too, such as Melange

Thanks very much.

I had a sneaky taste of the beersel blend beer and it's fricken amazing. Fruity, light, slightly souring, no heavy horsey brett impact, but it's definitely there in the background. Really, really nice. I might throw it on the gas after the weekend and get stuck in!

Nick R said:
Thanks very much.

I had a sneaky taste of the beersel blend beer and it's fricken amazing. Fruity, light, slightly souring, no heavy horsey brett impact, but it's definitely there in the background. Really, really nice. I might throw it on the gas after the weekend and get stuck in!
What sort of turn around time is that Nick, I'm going to be putting together an order on Wednesday and the Beersel blend is damn tempting, especially if I can get the beer into kegs before oxygen ingress is an issue.

It's about six weeks. Two weeks primary fermentation, and it's spent the past month in a keg at room temp under pressure from further fermentation. Brett likes a bit of pressure, and no oxygen is getting in there!

Back