The Yeast Bay strains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413719375.439055.jpg
Berliner Weisse - on Wyeast 1007 German Ale, white labs 672 lacto brevis, and the yeast bay Brussels Brett blend and lochristi Brett blend

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413719486.940519.jpg
Same as above, aged on 2kg of puréed strawberries for a summer sour ale

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413719536.097840.jpg
And finally the Rye Saison - 20% flaked unmalted rye, plus a pound of simplicity candi sugar. Pitched at the same time with Beersel Brett blend and Saison Blend.

Pretty happy with them all, just hoping the strawberry one sours up more

Just ordered Funktown Pale Ale for a Amarillo/Galaxy IPA and WLP500 for a Belgium Imperial Stout. Cant wait to see how they go

Bottled a Saison with the Saison Blend today. Attenuated well, got down the 1006 so should rock in at about 6.5%.
I have saved some for a re pitch, I know it's a blend but am interested to see how it goes.

Any tasting notes? Not a lot of feed back on the net about Yeast Bay yet.

Kegged my funk town pale yesterday. Bloody tasty

Early taste of my Saison is promising. Minimal funk, nice and dry, will update.

Alright, another taste today, brewed with the saison blend.
Lovely beer, some hop character coming through, dry yet malty, some funk and some fruity flavours floating around.
Good stuff.

First taste if both the Heady Topper clone with their yeast, the Vermont Ale - super fruity, absolutely stunning, th yeast attenuated down from 1.080 to 1.012 in a week.

Rye Saison finished not as dry as I would've liked, at 1.010 but it started quite higher than I expected. I pitched it on the saison blend and Brett Beersel and it's got a great tartness and funk to it. More body from the rye I think but it finishes nicely. Just needs to carb up more.

Some updated notes:

Berliner Weisse: Super thin body, funky/tart/sour, I think super over attenuated but I've never had a true Berliner. Also my turbid mash didn't go as well as expected.
Saison: Vanished. Drank the shit out of it. Super farmhousey, funky, spicy, earthy, delicious. I think that keg vanished in about 2 weeks. This one was in the fridge with the berliner, so it was exposed to mid 20's in order to really funk them both up. The saison blend and brett work well together, i'd be interested to try the saison brett blend for this as well.
Double IPA: **** me. Half a keg of 9% in a night with the neighbour. Absolutely sessionable, for a 9% beer, the yeast brought some super fruity character to the beer. I took Nick's advice and raised fermentation temps up. 4 days at 18 then up to 22 to finish. It attenuated like a ******* rocket, 1.090 - > 1.020 in 4 days. Healthy starter, 2 vials, stepped up once from 2 litres, crashed, decanted, repitched into a 5 litre starter, decanted and pitched. Estimated at about 600bn cells (100bn over).

In the last month or so, I also got a hold of a vial each of Brussels, Lochristi, Beersel, Funktown, and WLP575. Made a 25 litre batch of something dark and belgiany. Pils, munich, wheat, and D90 candi syrup. I used some fruity hops (not sure what I actually can't remember, it was a very last minute beer recipe creation), split it into 5 small 5 litre demi's. let them cool, pitched a different vial into each batch. They're currently bottle conditioning at the moment, have been for about a month.

I've also got a starter going now of the Northeastern Abbey yeast, this is going into the Candi Syrup website's recipe for Westy XII. I've modified it, because my local shop guy tells me that Belgian Pale malt is garbage. I will probably sub in either some of my Pearl malt or 100% dingemans Pils. I won't have taste notes on this for at least another 12 months yet. It'll be going into the State comp in 2016 (Quads baby yeahhh!!)

I currently have on hand a vial each of hessian pils, Brett amalgamation, farmhouse sour, Franconian dark lager and melange. Going to do a small batch sour in my spare glass fermenter to see how it goes

Great read, keen to start doing some experimentation myself :)
I've never been keen on that many of the Brett beers I've tried, I always seem to get the sensation of licking the bottom of a horse saddle...
I had a chat to Liam_Snorkel, who, through meeting at case swaps, have presented me with Brett beers which were very very enjoyable.
He explained that there are differences between the strains and I could, with some of the Brett strains, achieve much fruitier phenols - adding only a touch of funk...
He told me to get experimenting, thanks for that mate :)

I've gone through some of the literature I could find online and I am contemplating getting some 5L Glass fermenters, which would make future tests easier to do with a single batch brew day...
My thought is to do 4 separate 5L batches of my house IPA, which I know very well, and pitch
  1. Funktown Pale Ale
  2. Vermont Ale
  3. West coast IPA yeast (wyeast 1217) (this is my goto strain for straight up IPA/APA)
  4. Wyeast 1217 + WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii added together in primary.
    I'd probably just do a 50/50 and see where that leaves me.
I mainly want to figure out the flavour differences between 1 & 2 with that of my normal beer yeast.
After reading up a bit on the different Brett strains, I think WLP645 could lend some nice phenols for my IPA.

I'm curious to find out, how have you guys gone with splitting up the yeast packs for future brews/ make it slightly more economical?

As soon as I've got the batch down and have some numbers I'll update with my findings :)

edit: spelling

I'm also keen to move into some funky beers, as I'm a fan of the style but always been too 'lazy' to commit to the process. I think I want to try out the Funktown yeast, but I have some questions:
- this has brett in it, how long are you guys fermenting this for, say a pale ale? Barls, how long did you put your funktown pale down for?
- do I need to invest in a second set of equipment? A new fermenter, tubes, carboy, etc? I'd like to get away with not having to do this if I can, but I guess I could just as easily buy a new fermenting bucket for primary and then use a Better Bottle and closet space for an extended secondary (I've never secondaried any beers before).
- What happens if you bottled/keg a funktown pale ale after 3 - 4 weeks in the fermenter? Are you going to get any of the funky goodness or do you need to keep those bottles for an extra 6 months?

donald_trub said:
I'm also keen to move into some funky beers, as I'm a fan of the style but always been too 'lazy' to commit to the process. I think I want to try out the Funktown yeast, but I have some questions:
- this has brett in it, how long are you guys fermenting this for, say a pale ale? Barls, how long did you put your funktown pale down for?
- do I need to invest in a second set of equipment? A new fermenter, tubes, carboy, etc? I'd like to get away with not having to do this if I can, but I guess I could just as easily buy a new fermenting bucket for primary and then use a Better Bottle and closet space for an extended secondary (I've never secondaried any beers before).
- What happens if you bottled/keg a funktown pale ale after 3 - 4 weeks in the fermenter? Are you going to get any of the funky goodness or do you need to keep those bottles for an extra 6 months?
- The "Brett" strain in Funktown is Brett Trois, which has now been reclassified as sacch (due to recent genetic tests). I just had an IPA using this blend, and it was brewed just like a normal IPA (~2 week fermentation).
- Nope, no need for extra equipment.
- Your idea of leaving in the bottle for an extended aging is right on target for most brett strains....... for Funktown, there is no need.

I just grabbed the lochristi blend. Keen to try it out on a blonde ale.

Thanks for that. I can finally brew myself a funky beer!

So when would I need the second lot of equipment? I've heard stories of Brett overtaking your brewery. Are these concerns overblown?

hirschb said:
- The "Brett" strain in Funktown is Brett Trois, which has now been reclassified as sacch (due to recent genetic tests). I just had an IPA using this blend, and it was brewed just like a normal IPA (~2 week fermentation).
- Nope, no need for extra equipment.
- Your idea of leaving in the bottle for an extended aging is right on target for most brett strains....... for Funktown, there is no need.

I keep seperate funky stuff, but it sits pretty close to my non funky stuff. So far no issues.

donald_trub said:
Thanks for that. I can finally brew myself a funky beer!

So when would I need the second lot of equipment? I've heard stories of Brett overtaking your brewery. Are these concerns overblown?
Look up "Chad Yakobson Brettanomyces" on YouTube and watch that, it's extremely interesting and informational.

When it comes to Brett, he states that if you sanitize thoroughly there's no issue, exactly like you would for brewers yeast ( Saccharomyces Cerevisiae).
The main difference is that Brett can survive in cracks and hard to get places, e.g. make sure you clean your taps etc out properly.

hirschb said:
- The "Brett" strain in Funktown is Brett Trois, which has now been reclassified as sacch (due to recent genetic tests).
That's very interesting, is love to read a bit more on that, have you got a link?

Back