Mad Brewers (James Squire) Ten20 Commemorative Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee I hope that there are a few bottles left at the Bel. (err dinger tasting 2nite :) )

I just ordered to cartons online. Hoping its good..

Cheers Vice

Got to try it at the Malt Shovel brewery tour last week and while I thought it was good, I don't know if I can justify the price for it.

Not even remotely in my lowly opinion.
It is like a nice US pale ale, on the stronger side. I would be keen to hear a yank's opinion.

I'd say it's more double IPA than barley wine. I might pick up a bottle just to see how it ages.

Its far more like a barleywine thant a US Pale ale

After all the rush and people booking cases, I drove past camperdown cellars on Parramatta Rd today to see roughly 15 cases stacked as a display in the window....

Got to try it at the Malt Shovel brewery tour last week and while I thought it was good, I don't know if I can justify the price for it.

Jeez how cheap does it have to be? I reckon $11 for 640ml of 7.9% craft beer is pretty bloody good value, even if doesn't rock my world. Beats the hell out of paying $9+ for some of the stale ordinary imported 4.4% English bitters the bottlos keep dishing up.

For those in Melbourne who are chasing these, Purvis Cellars in Surrey Hills got it in on Friday. $9/bottle.

I grabbed 3 (now, 6 months, 12 months) on Saturday at which point they had about 40 boxes.

Cheers,

Brendo

My first post - w00t!

$8.50 at the bottle shop in Berry NSW!

For those in Melbourne who are chasing these, Purvis Cellars in Surrey Hills got it in on Friday. $9/bottle.

I know where i will be going on saturday.

Note they have a Mikkeller tasting coming up for purvis members. $25 a head. Quite tempting.

Just sipping one now - and feeling it!

Got a few on the weekend, under $7 each! :icon_cheers:

Like it, better as it warms, or as I warm, not sure. All my recent exercise hasn't helped my beerlegs too much!

Prefer the comparison to a IIPA than to a Barley Wine.

Think I will give the others a little bit of time, but a really enjoyable beer.

Get it if you can.

Kev

not a bad beer by all means, but definitely has the 'malt shovel' taste ... smells like i opened a hop bag ready to throw in my fermenter

i'm glad i only bought a single bottle and not a whole case

So when I hear people throwing around 'vegetal' aroma/taste...what exactly do you mean? that word paints pictures(?) of rotting cabbage and stuff in my mind, which I think would be puke-worthy if it was there at all let alone that strong...

So when I hear people throwing around 'vegetal' aroma/taste...what exactly do you mean? that word paints pictures(?) of rotting cabbage and stuff in my mind, which I think would be puke-worthy if it was there at all let alone that strong...

no cabbage, broccoli or bok choy favours in this beer, think of a hop bag floating in your glass

the 'malt shovel' taste to me is the malt flavour that is common in their beers, my tongue picks up a slight metallic taste

the 'malt shovel' taste to me is the malt flavour that is common in their beers, my tongue picks up a slight metallic taste

I got that too, although wouldn't say metallic but rather a slight hint of what I would describe as a stale tasting malt twang, it was only a slight hint i got on some sips and overall its a great beer.

Canberra Cellars has some in stock in Belconnen, ACT for those in Canberra that are interested.

Seems to be the priciest bottleshop in all the land @ $14 a bottle, or a case of 9 for $114.

It's absolute bollocks the prices some bottle shops are charging for a bottle of this beer.

$14 in Canberra

Less than $7 in Kingscliffe (northern NSW).

:huh:

Can such a difference be justified?

I know people will pay it anyway to have a go at the beer - I know I would have paid that, not happily - seems unreasonable to me. :angry:

Kev

Latest posts

Back