James Squire New Norcia Abbey Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a six pack of James Squire's New Norcia Abbey Ale the other day and was very impressed. A surprisingly good aussie attempt at a belgium ale. I thought it tasted very similar to Leffe Blonde which ain't a bad thing! :icon_drool2:

I read it is on tap in a few places in WA, anyone tried it?

According to the James Squire website:

"The product of Australian pale malted barley, raw and Belgian sugar brewed with imported hops and fermented with Belgian Ale yeast, New Norcia Abbey Ale is a golden monastic ale with intriguing aromas and a rich heavenly finish. Spiciness from the Styrian Goldings hops and the Belgian yeast fermentation creates a perfect balance between the barley and the richness of the malt. The alcohol level of 7% ABV adds to the complexity."

"Australias New Norcia Abbey Ale, created by the renowned brewers at Malt Shovel Brewery in Camperdown NSW, has won gold at the 2010 Brewers Association World Beer Cup, which took place during April in Colorado, USA. New Norcia Abbey Ale defeated 34 other entries from around the globe to take the top award in the Other Belgian-style Ale category".

abbeyale330mlbottle2.jpg

Australias New Norcia Abbey Ale wins gold at The World Beer Cup

cheers,

piraterum

Anyone know if this is/will be available outside WA?? Namely... right near me?

Nevermind...

Below are some outlets that have recently purchased New Norcia Abbey Ale. All of the outlets have only purchased a small amount so you may want to call them before hand.

WARNERS AT THE BAY WARNERS BAY, NSW
JETTY CELLARS COFFS HARBOUR, NSW
BELROSE HOTEL BELROSE, NSW
SAWTELL HOTEL SAWTELL, NSW
PORTERS NORTHWOOD NORTHWOOD, NSW
BROOKVALE CELLARS BROOKVALE, NSW
VINTAGE BLUE SYDNEY, NSW
BOTTLE-O NORTH RYDE NORTH RYDE, NSW
CARINGBAH INN CARINGBAH, NSW
CAMPERDOWN CELLARS CAMPERDOWN, NSW
BANANA COAST LIQUOR WOOLGOOLGA, NSW
AVOCA BEACH CELLARS AVOCA BEACH, NSW
NEWPORT ARMS HOTEL NEWPORT, NSW
MUSWELLBROOK CELLARS MUSWELLBROOK, NSW
CELLARBRATIONS @ KEMPSEY KEMPSEY, NSW
HARRY BROWN - PRINCE ALFRED BOOVAL, QLD
SPOTTED COW CELLARS TOOWOOMBA, QLD
DRINX CAMP HILL CAMP HILL, QLD
ST PETERS CELLARS ST PETERS SA
CELLARBRTNS FLAGSTAFF HILL, SA
BELAIR FINE WINES BELAIR, SA
DECANTERS BY THE BAY PORT MELBOURNE, VIC
SWORDS WINES NORTH MELBOURNE, VIC
Goldtek Cedar WESTGARTH, VIC
THE PRESS CELLARS WARRAGUL, VIC
WINEBINS PRAHRAN, VIC
CAULFIELD CELLARS CAULFIELD SOUTH, VIC
PIEDIMONTE`S SMKT FITZROY NORTH, VIC
CENTRAL CLUB RICHMOND, VIC
CORKS CREW CELLARS TORQUAY, VIC
MACPHEES THE WINE ENTHUSIAST SOUTH MELBOURNE,VIC
CHAUCER CELLARS GLEN IRIS, VIC
PHILLIPS CELLARS SHEPPARTON, VIC
KING & GODFREE CARLTON, VIC
ACLAND CELLARS ST KILDA, VIC
MC COPPINS ABBOTSFORD, VIC
UNIFOUR KENSINGTON, VIC
MC COPPINS FITZROY, VIC
PEELS LIQUOR MERCHANTS BOULDER, WA
MOONDYNE JOES HOTEL FREMANTLE, WA
CORKERS CELLARS EAST VIC PARK, WA
OLD BRIDGE CELLARS NORTH FREMANTLE, WA
COMO LIQUOR STORE COMO, WA
THE FREO DOCTOR LIQ STORE FREMANTLE, WA
GEORGE N DRAGON TAVERN SHOALWATER, WA
PORT MANDURAH LIQUOR HALLSTEAD, WA
WILLETTON LIQUOR STORE WILLETTON, WA
INTERNATIONAL BEER SH WEST LEEDERVILLE,WA
CELLARBRATIONS AT CARLISLE KEWDALE, WA
ATWELL CELLARS ATWELL, WA
DE VINE CELLARS INGLEWOOD, WA
BIG BREWS - WARNBRO WARNBRO, WA
STH ST LIQUOR BEACONSFIELD, WA

To be an Abbey Ale the brewer has to be licenced by an Abbey - New Norcia is in WA. The profits have to benefit the Abbey, and they retain control over the advertising and marketing of it, too.

Glad to hear it's nice ... i haven't actually tried it yet!

I tried this some time back and likewise very impressed. I did have a Duvel chaser which put it in it's place quick smart but I would purchase again.

Had a bottle at the Australian Hotel @ The Rocks last week. It was very nice.
Had a good belgian flavour without going over the top. Yeah not far off a Leffe Blonde.

To be an Abbey Ale the brewer has to be licenced by an Abbey - New Norcia is in WA. The profits have to benefit the Abbey, and they retain control over the advertising and marketing of it, too.

Glad to hear it's nice ... i haven't actually tried it yet!
Isn't that for the Trappist Monasatries? I though "Abbey" was the generic appellation for monastry-style beers that aren't made by monastries and therefore can't use the "M" word.

Isn't that for the Trappist Monasatries? I though "Abbey" was the generic appellation for monastry-style beers that aren't made by monastries and therefore can't use the "M" word.

No, Trappist is actually made by monastries, Abbey is licensed by them. Complicated, but so much better than just calling them all beer.

I'd always assumed this stuff was 'ancient' (not in the modern Australian use of the word but as in 'really, really old'), but it's only 180 years or so since Trappist breweries as we know them really started.

Yeh its on tap at the hotel at New Norcia, its pretty good,

oh and to the first poster, its Belgian, Not Belgium when referring to the style,

the original intent was to make aseries of 3 beers, a blonde, and 2 stronger ones, not apparent though

It's also not actually made in New Norcia. Apparently they brew it over east and ship it. Still yet to try it on tap though.

Boy this beer is very confused about its origins!!.

I've seen it at figtree cellars, might have to try it.

$24 a 6pack! why can i get a la trappe blond 4 pack for $15...

can anyone compare the two in closeness to a leffe blonde?

$24 a 6pack! why can i get a la trappe blond 4 pack for $15...

can anyone compare the two in closeness to a leffe blonde?

I've only tried it in stubbies, it's very similar to Leffe Blonde, but I reckon Leffe has a bit more flavour and body.

Yeah it's pretty pricey, just because its a Belgian Ale doesn't mean they have to give it the same price tag as a fully imported one! <_<

Its a nice idea and Im glad they did it, and it tastes good but not outstanding.
But Id sooner put my $:quantity ratio to work elsewhere.
Im glad they are trying to make Belgian styled beers in Australia, but this one does fall quite short of Belgian made or Canadian made Belgian styled beers.

Ressurrection again but at least I search before posting.

Drinking one now and it's the closest attempt to a commercial Belgian style made here that I've com across.

Rather than comparing it to known belgian examples, just think of it as beer.

Clear golden, aroma of alc and yeast, good balance of sweet and dry, slight touch of a yeasty thing I'm not into, slight woodiness, generally pretty damn good beer and very different to the usual fare. Poured the whole bottle into a glass with nary a yeasty cloud in sight so definitely not bottle conditioned.

I was curious about the malt shovel logo on the lid so I'm glad I found this thread to explain.

oh and to the first poster, its Belgian, Not Belgium when referring to the style

thank you! I always bite my tongue whenever I read/hear that cos I don't want to be so pedantic but it's like saying I like eating "Germany food" :)

Had this at the beer expo earlier in the year and my misses loved it so much we bought a six pack. Searched for a recipe but couldn't find anything. Any idea of the grain bill and hop schedule?

Slightly more info for those researching this beer like me:
James Squire Abbey

Doesn't add much, but infers that there's Pale Malt, Munich Malt, Stryrian Goldings late addition combined with some background bittering (the bittering may not be styrian - might be a house hop), and also that Belgian Sugar (presuming Candi sugar) has been used.

Cheers!

Hopper.

Well I've been getting into the Belgian Abbey beers lately. I was at Dans earlier tonight having a browse and decided to grab a sixer of this as I'd looked past it a few times previously. Must say I'm impressed! Paid under $20 for the 6'er and I think its well worth it. Would be keen to know what yeast they're using?

I tried this on tap at the hotel in New Norcia a couple of years ago thinking that they made it - even bought some stubbies. Now I feel deflated! I wonder if that means the fabulous bread isn't made there either! :(

Latest posts

Back