Mad Brewers (James Squire) Ten20 Commemorative Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's absolute bollocks the prices some bottle shops are charging for a bottle of this beer.

$14 in Canberra

Less than $7 in Kingscliffe (northern NSW).

:huh:

Can such a difference be justified?

I know people will pay it anyway to have a go at the beer - I know I would have paid that, not happily - seems unreasonable to me. :angry:

Kev

That is outrageous, at that doubling of price it can't be justified as it would all be profit to the bottle shop and in the end the bottle shop would possibly be making twice as much off the beer than the brewery.
:angry:

It's pretty wrong, I think canberra is the most wealthy city in australia though, with close to the highest cost of living, so I guess that could possible help them justify it.

They were stocking this at one bottle shop I visited yesterday and he let slip that it the wholesale price was $7.

Camperdown was selling at $10.50, the guy looked at the case price and reverted it back to $9-which was nice. The beer was underwhelming as someone said before not really a barleywine, not really an IPA. I'm not entirely sure cellaring will help.

Canberra Cellars has some in stock in Belconnen, ACT for those in Canberra that are interested.
Seems to be the priciest bottleshop in all the land @ $14 a bottle, or a case of 9 for $114.

Georges Liquor Stable (Phillip) have it for a tenner a bottle.

Camperdown was selling at $10.50, the guy looked at the case price and reverted it back to $9-which was nice. The beer was underwhelming as someone said before not really a barleywine, not really an IPA. I'm not entirely sure cellaring will help.

I'd be inclined to agree. Drink it while the hops are fresh.

I didn't mind it. Definitely a JS beer, but like the old JS, which is good. I enjoyed it a lot. Smack in the face with hops at 7+%, what more could you ask for?

Well I cracked one open last night...

The hops sure do smack you in the face! :eek:

My missus could only down half a glass... She cant handle the IBUs!

It's definitely not a session beer... Best enjoyed one per night I think :)

anyone want to have a crack at a grain and hop bill? :D

I just bought 6 of them from the thirsty camel for only $7.50 each! Wicked!

the bottle shop finally got the great ale on tuesday, been waiting for 2 months and what a bargin at $5.88 each.
they are trying to get a slab for me but we will see?

3draws

Beer deluxe at Fed Square Melb had just got it in, but they wanted $26 a bottle for it.

Beer deluxe at Fed Square Melb had just got it in, but they wanted $26 a bottle for it.

That sort of price tag should be illegal!!!!!
It is not like it has been cellared or anything!!!

I've just cracked this evening the last of the bottles of the Ten20 I had .

The hops have mellowed just a touch away from the (enjoyable) harshness I tasted when fresh, a little bit smoother and I think a little more enjoyable.

Wishing I had one (or 3) more bottle to give it perhaps another few months....

tasting good.

Kev

Back