Mad Brewers Ginger Chops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the Scribbly Gum was OK as well.
Didn't like Stout Noir though....

I don't know how this got past the suggestion stage, a good alcoholic ginger beer I'd be interested in - but a lack luster ale with ginger - meh.

Edit: something like a 7% Belgian Golden Ale with light ginger spicing on the other hand.... nah, never get past the accountants

Tasted this yesterday and definitely not impressed. It takes a lot for me to not finish a beer.

Initial impressions were good, as the smell was nice and full of ginger notes as expected. But the taste is horrible, a dirty muddy beer with little ginger bite. I can't even pinpoint the exact flavour, but there's something there that really isn't right. God knows how this got past quality control and target market surveys. I took a second sip, assuming that I'd just misjudged the flavour, but the second sip was the same and other bottles were also the same. No-one finished their bottle. Maybe it was an infected batch, but not a flavour I'm familiar with - interested to hear what others thought?
Pretty much described my own experience and feelings to a tee.

You'd get better results sprinkling powdered ginger over a Carlton Cold.

Glad i read this first and only purchased the one bottle. Been impressed with most of the Mad Brewers ales so had to try this one as well. Initial taste is a nice Ginger hit and then it just fades to nothing. There is no backbone to this "beer" at all. May as well just be a soda water with a dash of ginger. Might actually make for a nice mixer! :huh:

Back