Mad Brewers (James Squire) Ten20 Commemorative Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats who I called. He said there were only a few left unallocated and wouldn't last long...

I walked in there this morning,

"Got any TEN20 commemorative ale?"
"Yep, how many you want?"

I chilled one down to roughly 6deg.....

Was rather tasty.....the bottles are perfect for a pint for me and a 1/2 middy for the missus.....

Having actually never used any of the hops used in this beer, it was interesting to taste it.....

The rest shall stay in the cellar until an occasion worthy enough grants their release...

EDIT: So tempted to go to all the camperdown cellars stores and clear their unallocated stock.....Then sell it on to AHB members at cost price of course, I do live within a 10 minute walk of all three stores..

I can not for the life of me find this beer anywhere!

I have rung just about every bottle shop in sydney, every bottle shop chain and even malt shovel. They told me where I "can" get it, so I rang those places up...

and none of them had it in stock and none of them getting it in stock and most didn't even have a clue about it... saying they only heard of the summer lager.

I live close to the parramatta / carlingford / eastwood / epping / northmead / baulkham hills... area etc etc...

If anyone can help me out here it would be MUCH appreciated??

Cheers!

I have rung just about every bottle shop in sydney, every bottle shop chain and even malt shovel. They told me where I "can" get it, so I rang those places up...

and none of them had it in stock and none of them getting it in stock and most didn't even have a clue about it... saying they only heard of the summer lager.

I live close to the parramatta / carlingford / eastwood / epping / northmead / baulkham hills... area etc etc...

Cheers!

Dude, I just rang the Leichardt Camperdown Cellars & they put a carton on hold for me.

Maybe try there?

Jez

There was 1 carton left in the coolroom at Camperdown Parra rd about 5pm after I left. Most of the delivery today was reserved.

None at Dan Murphys today at Ballarat and they hadnt had any and wouldnt be getting any from the guy I talked to, so I ordered a box online to be sure.
So, if anyone is in Horsham or passing through I will have a couple in the fridge :icon_chickcheers:

This stuff seems to be moving alot quicker than that raspberry shite they made. Still havnt found any in bottlos in Nth Brissy. might have to get lost on the train and end up at central.

Brad

Cheers!

Mate, I'm from the same area and tried everywhere as well. Really surprised when Northmead Cellars hadn't even heard of it! As mentioned above ended up ringing Camperdown Cellars and putting one aside which they are more than happy to do.

Went there this evening and picked up the carton...chilled one down and polishing it off now. This is a great beer for a semi-commercial drop, the hop aroma is just fantastic. At close to 8% it is damn too easy to drink and I'm tempted to chuck the lot in the fridge!! :icon_drunk:

Mate, I'm from the same area and tried everywhere as well. Really surprised when Northmead Cellars hadn't even heard of it! As mentioned above ended up ringing Camperdown Cellars and putting one aside which they are more than happy to do.

Went there this evening and picked up the carton...chilled one down and polishing it off now. This is a great beer for a semi-commercial drop, the hop aroma is just fantastic. At close to 8% it is damn too easy to drink and I'm tempted to chuck the lot in the fridge!! :icon_drunk:

I have done like-wise but have not picked it up yet! Can't wait to taste one!!! Have to be disciplined enough to stop at one and cellar the rest!!

Seeing as though everyone is still trying to source their bottles, I'll try and relate here exactly what the taste was after partaking in a couple of bottles with Chappo at the Platform Bar last night.

The colour is a rich golden brown, and forms a nice Goldilocks head - not too creamy, not too foamy, just nicely in the middle. Having a sniff, the hops are present in a subtle way. Definitely not as pronounced as what they are with say a Stone & Wood draught. The aroma is moderately spicey and roasted. As much as there are 60 IBU's quoted on the bottle, the hops are really well balanced and I guess that part of the reason for this is due to the high ABV content. The hops are well integrated into the beer, but the beer itself is pretty weighty. Both Chappo and myself commented that it would be great with a nice rack of lamb or as a beer over which you could contemplate life, but it is not the sort of beer you could go and have a session on. The hops were a mixture of Galaxy, Super Pride, Simcoe and Sterling and it is obvious that the Malt Shovel boys went to town on this beer. There are a mixture of pale, Munich and Carapils malts in this beer,which contribute to the flavour but also to a wholesome mouthfeel that is by no means overwhelming. It is just amazing to think that there is such integration and balance in such a big, flavoursome beer. I suspect that anyone who is willing to leave a few bottles in a dark place for an extended period will be amply rewarded for their patience. You could definitely draw some comparsions between this beer and a Coopers Vintage Ale, but the main difference being that the JS Ten/20 is a beer that doesn't have to be cellared before it can be properly enjoyed - crack it now and be merry! Damn, I wish I had one right now... :icon_drool2:

On reflection I should have stopped at the Fat Yak I had with Chappo and left when he did, but there was the Unibroue Maudite and the Aventis Dopplebock to be tried as well. Unfortunately by this stage my limit was exceeded and I had to suffer the train journey home in less than pristine condition. :icon_vomit: Never-the-less this is a gathering that will have to be undertaken again in the not so distant future.

Cheers, GG

At close to 8% it is damn too easy to drink and I'm tempted to chuck the lot in the fridge!! :icon_drunk:

I know that feeling....

I picked up mine at 10am, so I was able to pop one in the fridge for the day and then I intentionally buried the box in the garage behind all the other boxes of HB beer I have down there, that way I can't just grab one willy-nilly.......

Glad it gave me a reason to grab some pint glasses though.

For those in Newcastle area, Warners at the Bay have a far few bottles.

Vintage Cellars on Darby St did't even know it existed when I popped in yesterday.

Anyone know where to get this in SA? I went to Dan Murphy's and they told me that it's not in the system.

Anyone know where to get this in SA? I went to Dan Murphy's and they told me that it's not in the system.
For you south western Adelaideans it is available at the Thirsty Camel bottleshop behind the Holdy.
3 for $20 or 1 for $8.

C&B
TDA

i was there on saturday, and they *claimed* to have a lot in stock but there wasnt much left on the shelf. might have to head back there and grab another 3-pack tonight ...

btw thanks for the heads-up TDA, never would have thought to look in this bottle-o.

leads in Vic would be good too... might have to venture into the Squire's bar in town... oh the horror...

Brendo

I picked up a bottle from Cellarbrations on Fullarton Rd on the weekend. It's a bit pricey there at $12/bottle or 2 for $20 though.

Back