Lo Carb Drinkers Exploited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who says its a myth anyway.. The csiro certainly managed to lend low carb diets a bit of general public cred with their book.

It so happens that i do believe that a weight reduction diet targeted at reduced proportion carbohydrate vs other kilojoules, is more effective than simply a "balanced" diet with an equivalent number of total kilojoules. Does that mean i think you can drink beer and lose weight... Shit no. But if i was on a low carb diet and had decided that i was indeed going to drink a full strength beer - then choosing a "low carb" beer would actually be, the more sensible thing to do. They do have less carbohydrates in them than other beer. And they would be less damaging to your low carb weight loss regimen than other beer.

I utterly fail to see how a product that is what it says it is, does what it says it does and even actually manages to perform some of the function that people choose without prompting to ascribe to it, can possibly be described as exploitative.

But i suspect that thats because i think people should have some responsibility for themselves, if they are so stupid that they lie to themselves in order to save the marketing people the trouble... I dont see that there is any actual way to avoid exploiting them.

I asked bum earlier what it is he actually expects the breweries to do about it... He responded that they should stop being so sneaky. But i want to know how? How can you be less sneaky than providing a product that is exactly what you say it is. What actual thing could be done to make it OK for someone to sell this product, which is clearly in demand, and not be accused of being sneaky or exploitative?

If perception is 50% of the marketing tool then I think Bum has a good point in that there should at least be some truth in labelling. Im not saying that the low carb labelling isnt the truth, but to me its as close to misleading as misleading can be.

Just take a look at the made in Australia labels, ten or so years ago, to buy something that was made in Australia was high on most shoppers list. Then you found out it wasnt made in Australia at all it was only screwed together here or painted here. So why is it up to the public to investigate every item that has a labelling claim? I think the manufacturers walk a fine line here as they are allowed to do so, and if low cab wasnt selling it would be relabelled immediately as the next good thing.

So just remember that perception is half of the marketing- Made in Australia-Low Carb and so on.

gregs.

So - what truth is it that they should put on the label? Given that the actual true truth isn't true enough?

Warning to consumers: While this beer contains only 1/3rd of the carbohydrates that a regular beer would contain, remember a regular beer has only a third of the carbohydrates of a softdrink. You have a can of beer in your hand, so you weren't going to drink a softdrink anyway, but i suggest you definately dont given what you now know. Maybe you should consider a light beer instead? They have even less carbs and a lot less kilojoules. Of course, water has stacks less carbs and kilojoules than either this beer or light beer (and dont even think about the soft drink) so maybe you should go with that instead. Yeah, get yourself a nice glass of water aand give the beer a miss altogether. Mind you - dont be fooled into buying that fancy imported mineral water because you think its better for you than the stuff that comes out of the tap, its not really you know........

I just had a look on the 'Calorie King' website. To compare two common beers, one low-carb and the other not:

Carlton Pure Blonde 375ml 4.6%abv:
Energy - 469kJ
Carbohydrate - 3.4g (13% of total energy, balance is from alcohol)

Carlton Draught 375ml 4.6%abv:
Energy - 581kJ
Carbohydrate - 10.1g (30% of total energy, balance is from alcohol)

So there is considerably less carbs percentage-wise (66%), but this only results in 20% less total energy in the drink as most of the energy comes from the ethanol. Beer is also 100% fat-free!! I wonder why they don't advertise this fact?

I did suggest that the labelling was true, as I have said I think it is misleading due to marketing using perception as a tool, and that is only my opinion, now TB and Bum Im sure you have better things to do with your time than to keep pushing your opinion on this subject over and over.

TB and Bum I’m sure you have better things to do with your time than to keep pushing your opinion on this subject over and over.
Well, I've certainly got better things to do than argue with a person whose opinion and input I have a great deal of respect for and, as you say, I've already made my point.

Does it quantify anything or is it just more mainstream media dribble?
Seems like it sits pretty comfortably in both camps to me, Mark.

[EDIT: uh, half a sentence missing]

Anyone in Melb.would have seen the Sun,last Friday ,p3.A report from VicHealth totally debunking the idea that lo-carb beer is healthier and contains SIGNIFICANTLY less carbs.It's the alcohol ,with the kj's that causes weight gain.VB-165 kj/100ml Carlton Dry 139 kj/100ml .I'd like to see the brewers of these beers substitute some taste and flavour (dextrins) at 4 calories per gram for alcohol,at 7 calories,surely it's not too much to brew a crisp,refreshing ,'lawn mower' beer that has some real taste? :rolleyes:

I just had a look on the 'Calorie King' website. To compare two common beers, one low-carb and the other not:

Energy - 469kJ

Energy - 581kJ

So there is considerably less carbs percentage-wise (66%), but this only results in 20% less total energy in the drink as most of the energy comes from the ethanol. Beer is also 100% fat-free!! I wonder why they don't advertise this fact?

20% reduction in overall kJ is a good saving and is clearly a "healthier" beer.

Why doesn't commercial beer have the nutritional information that food & most drinks have on the packaging?

Why doesn't commercial beer have the nutritional information that food & most drinks have on the packaging?

Yup - was just thinking that. Overall kJ counts on the side of drinks would make people think about it - and particularly sugar loaded RTD's

Sounds like a good way to crush few micros to me.

20% reduction in overall kJ is a good saving and is clearly a "healthier" beer.
All the people i know who drink beer of this style in the belief that its a healthier alternative seem to do it either at a bbq,eating greasy burnt offerings to the gods,potato chips,dips, cabana/cheese nibblies.etc ,or laying on the couch watching footy/cricket. And because it 'goes down like water' they drink it like water. Not much weight control going on there :p If people drink it because they enjoy the (lack of) taste then thats their choice and i say go for it :rolleyes:But i suppose it's what you personally consider to be 'high'carb content,i don't consider beer to be 'high' It's a bit like the lowfat/full cream milk thing,Full cream 4%-low fat 2%.A 50% drop in fat content!!! . Unless i'm drinking 2/3 litres a day i'm not worrying . If i ever decide to watch my 'girlish figure',i'll think of other ways to do it than resort to lo-carb beer thanks,Like ,exercise more,eat healthier, etc And if necessary drink a bit less ;) But i'll be drinking full-carb thanks,and nothing less . I also eat full fat cheese,drink full cream milk,and love a good Sunday morning fryup :lol: Life is short!! live it up!! Moderation is for monks :beer:

How so? I've got a feeling that I'm missing something obvious.
My assumption (and it is just that) is that the required nutritional analysis wouldn't be cheap and would need to be redone every time something in the finished product is changed (primarily recipe (ingredients and/or ratios) but maybe even down to efficiency?). And then there's the associated printing costs each time. I've come across a few micro brewers (some of them have been quite tall though, however) and they all say that this caper is run on the smell of an oily rag - such a cost might be a bit hard to bare for some.

I agree that it could be helpful for many consumers.

How so? I've got a feeling that I'm missing something obvious.

Gotta make sure that informationis accurate if you put it there, which means you have to get the beer analysed. Especially for a micro who makes a lot of one off beers, or who's process allows a bit of variation from batch to batch - that means they'd have to spens money on analysis for nearly every batch. A big brewery would be able to get one batch of each beer in their portfolio anylysed and be pretty sure that if the beer was in spec, that there wouldn't be significant enough variation to require additional testing.

Then get labels made with the info, and changed if this batch hapoened to be different to the last one, and chuck away any of the old ones...

Extra cost for micros who are often right on the line with cashflow - and then if one of the poor buggers happened to put something on the label that was incorrect and got found out.... That would cause amstink that would taint the whole microbrewery industry. Horrible horrible can'o'worms

I did suggest that the labelling was true, as I have said I think it is misleading due to marketing using perception as a tool, and that is only my opinion, now TB and Bum Im sure you have better things to do with your time than to keep pushing your opinion on this subject over and over.

Hell no - i'd planned to keep on going until a moderator popped off a retina due to the sheer repetition and was forced to close the thread in order to save their eyesight.

But seeing as you point it out (and bum and i just posted responses in this thread that were in nearly complete agreement on a variation of the main argument) i suppose i can admit that i have well and truly put forward my thoughts on the matter and should probably just shut the hell up unless i have something new and interesting to add.

So I will.

Energy - 469kJ

Energy - 581kJ

Not the worst interview I've done...

I realised this a few minutes prior to going to air:

87% of 469kJ = 408kJ
70% of 581kJ = 407kJ

so if you're going to metabolise the alcohol only (caveat) then there's nothing between the two.

Not the worst interview I've done...

87% of 469kJ = 408kJ
70% of 581kJ = 407kJ

so if you're going to metabolise the alcohol only (caveat) then there's nothing between the two.
Just heard you on the ABC giving your expert advice on the topic :lol: second beer related beat up in two day, wonder what they are going to talk about tomorrow ????

87% of 469kJ = 408kJ
70% of 581kJ = 407kJ

I don't understand what the 87% and 70% are.

Latest posts

Back