Lo Carb Drinkers Exploited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read the "latest threads" in the top right hand corner and it read "Low carb drinkers exploited by Dr Smurto". :eek: I had to do a double take. LOL

EDIT: It raised all sorts of possible threads. "The greatest homebrew in the world is brewed… by Big78Sam" "The most frivolous posts on this forum are posted.. By Big78sam"

I think what he's suggesting is that drinkers who drink to get pissed are wanting to minimize the impact to their health without cutting down on alcohol.

Kinda like ordering a diet coke to counter the upsized double quarter pounder meal and extra fries :)

Putting aside our obvious dislike of low carb megaswill, if you were going to treat this as a legitimate beer style and talk about it in an unbiased fashion, low carbohydrate beers would mean ones that finish with a low FG. If people desire that then I don't see what is wrong with it. It arguably makes it less bloating and easier to drink on a summers day etc (I drink Porter on a summers day by the way, just going with the popular consensus).
This is all fair except that "low carb" is a concept that exists outside of brewing and (as pointed out in the article and again in this thread) almost all beer is low carb. Using it to distinguish one style of beer from another is entirely pointless - which it seems to me is the point of the article.

But honestly, you know what is worse than the automatic mega-swill bashing (which you rightly argue against)? The recurrent bleating and chest-beating that always goes on about "Nanny States" here. What a load of shit. Alcohol is a dangerous drug and we should be informed of the dangers and advised what might be considered a safe dose. Nobody is trying to force you to follow that advice and nobody is judging you for it. We're rapidly turning into a society of wilful victims.

Beers are low-carb to begin with but alot of people do drink them becase they find it eaiser to stomach because it makes them less bloated. But come-on, genious idea to take a segment of the market. "Hey, lets advertise this beer as low-carb to make people think it is healthier! We'll make millions"

Like someone pointed out earlier, if they understood human metabolism they'd understand beer is low carb to begin with. Just because its got less carbs doesnt mean its better for you in the long term compared to light beer (in the alcohol sence).

I think the best way of summing it up is:

"The sum of the matter is, the people drink because they wish to drink beer."
-Rudolph Brand

Kinda like ordering a diet coke to counter the upsized double quarter pounder meal and extra fries :)

Off Topic :icon_offtopic:
Haha thats me! I get the diet coke cause I much rather prefer the taste. In the instance of Mcdonalds, getting a diet coke isnt going to counter or cancel out the upsized double quarter pounder meal but it wont add more sugar to your intake as coke would. However there is something in diet coke that does make you feel more hungry ;) so I'm not really winning as to say but for me its the taste.

But honestly, you know what is worse than the automatic mega-swill bashing (which you rightly argue against)? The recurrent bleating and chest-beating that always goes on about "Nanny States" here. What a load of shit. Alcohol is a dangerous drug and we should be informed of the dangers and advised what might be considered a safe dose. Nobody is trying to force you to follow that advice and nobody is judging you for it. We're rapidly turning into a society of wilful victims.

ROFL. As if their intention is just to inform our decisions. That is bullshit and you know it. Why do we have sin taxes? Why are they constantly looking at changing laws to reduce freedom of personal choice?

No one actually thinks that diet coke has magical ingredients that burn off fat from your body. Is that what you think? Is that what you think diet coke drinkers think?

Here is some factual information: A large coke from McDonalds contains 937kj, which is 11% of the RDI. A diet coke contains 9kj, or 0% of RDI.

Considering they are a like for like product that you order in the same way, comes in the same container, takes the same amount of effort etc, it is completely logical to order a diet coke instead of a regular coke even if you are consuming it with fatty unhealthy food.

..... it is completely logical to order a diet coke instead of a regular coke even if you are consuming it with fatty unhealthy food.

No it's not, coz it tastes like crap :icon_vomit:

I actually like the taste of diet coke... I also like real coke but find it sickly sweet.

ROFL. As if their intention is just to inform our decisions.
Who are "they", Mark? Who is it you think is out to separate us from our terribly important beverages and what do they gain by doing so?

Why do we have sin taxes?
There are two answers to this. The first is the one "they" might give - these "sins" present a financial burden on society and as such the users of them should bare a larger burden of the associated costs. Sounds reasonable but it isn't the whole answer because this money isn't directly channelled to the relevant area of consern so there is a weakness to the argument. The second answer (which in all likelihood is more likely to be a tandem truth to the first rather than a substitute answer) is that we are weak and stupid and they know this is a cash-cow they can milk for all perpetuity - perhaps some of us will bare it no longer and drop off but the rest won't and will bare a larger burden for the privilege.

Why are they constantly looking at changing laws to reduce freedom of personal choice?
This is ludicrous. Never has anyone in history had as great a choice in all things as you do today, Mark. Can you clarify this point for me, please?

Here is some factual information: A large coke from McDonalds contains 937kj, which is 11% of the RDI. A diet coke contains 9kj, or 0% of RDI.

Considering they are a like for like product that you order in the same way, comes in the same container, takes the same amount of effort etc, it is completely logical to order a diet coke instead of a regular coke even if you are consuming it with fatty unhealthy food.

Except that artificial sweeteners are actually much worse for your health than natural sugar, and not only that but artificial sweeteners in soft drinks often leave you feeling hungry - which makes fatties eat even more.

No one actually thinks that diet coke has magical ingredients that burn off fat from your body. Is that what you think? Is that what you think diet coke drinkers think?

I thought I was being ironic.

No one actually thinks that low carb beers have less carbs and that lower carbs in an alcoholic beverage lessens the fattening effects of the beer. Is that what you think? Is that what you think low-carb beer drinkers think?

well yes, many bogans do think that.. ref: article in post #1.

Vodka & Coke, there are 40 times the calories in the vodka than there are in the coke, other than for personal taste there is absolutely no point in substituting with diet coke.

Low carb beers are a con,
(1) they are a con because they are sold for the same price using some 30% less barley
(2) they are a con because they target health consious people with their advertising.
I have a number if issues with this.
(a) it is commonly known that the higher the body & lower the alcohol, the more nutritious the beer.
(B) if you reduce your malt by 30% then you also reduce your vitamin benefits, which may actually help your body deal with the most toxic part - the ALC
© the most harmful part of the beer is not being reduced, whilst the most nutritious part is being considerably cut.
(d) as pointed out already in a previous post, only a quarter (+-) of the calories in a beer come from the body, the rest is in the alcohol.
(e) All energy forms are stored as fat in the human body (other than what your metabolism considers appropriate blood sugar levels to feed daily energy requirements) This includes Starch, Malt (& all other sugars) & Alcohol.

In essence the megaswillers are profeteering by producing a cheaper product & selling for the same price. They claim it is healthier, but I argue less nutritious. It is not healthy to diet by cutting out nutritious foods & continuing to eat the same ammount of bad foods. That is akin to Weightwatchers recommending giving up fruit & veg so you can maintain your lollies & macdonalds intake!

They are doing a blatant disservice to society by promoting this concept of "healthier drinking"
If you need to diet then just eat/drink less & exercise more.

Disclosure: I have a beergut. apologies if I've made my point longwinded & repeditive. :beer:

An afterthough, the malt & particularly flaked barley & wheat malts are particularly filling, which encourage a drinker to consume less as they feel full.
- More Cudos for healthier yummier full bodied beers :)

I always thought the most fattening aspect of having a few beers was the salted snacks, followed by souvlaki washed down with hamburger that came after a big session, not the beer itself or the 'fattening alcohol' :blink: as stated in this article.

A miracle beer that can zap away the fat of a greasy late night snack? Now I'd like to see that.

Hopper.

A miracle beer that can zap away the fat of a greasy late night snack? Now I'd like to see that.

I've drunk plenty of them! They are the same as standard beer except you increase the volume of it in until everything that you've put in your mouth for the last 5 hours comes straight back out again.

You didn't specify that it had to be a healthy miracle beer...

I always thought the most fattening aspect of having a few beers was the salted snacks, followed by souvlaki washed down with hamburger that came after a big session, not the beer itself or the 'fattening alcohol' :blink: as stated in this article.

Hopper.

It all comes down to how many drinks

Say you went out for a big night drinking 12 x JSGA = 12 x 548kj = 6,573kj
An average man should have between 9,000 to 16,000kj a day.

So that beer has made up a big percentage of it; even before you go the kebab shop / maccas

Compare that to the souvlaki = 1,200kj
Or a Big Mac = 2,000kj
-- you want fries with that - large = 1,732kj
-- and a large coke 937kj

QldKev

Say you went out for a big night drinking 12 x JSGA [...]

[...]

An average man [...]
If we're talking a big night out for an average man, I'll consider myself below average. Maybe I'm just cheap - that's at least $90 over the bar where I drink those. I'll go home sober and track down something delicious.

Can I just post a screenshot of the last time this topic came up, and everyone's exact same responses? Where's AdamT these days anyways, he's usually the first to jump in on a thread like this.

Ummm - i dont believe i have ever seen a beer ad that says or even suggests, that their low (and nowadays you will find they generally use the term "lower") carb beer is either less fattening, or better for you.

They simply say "Low Carb", perhaps mention less filling, dry, crisp etc etc - but they all, and they all must because they are regulated to do so, leave any claims at all about health "benefits" entirely up to you the consumers' imagination.

I make a low carb beer, I say nothing at all about how it will effect your health - You decide for yourself that it is "better" for you and that you will buy it in preference to other beer...... Just exactly how is that me exploiting you?

Back