Keg land flow control disconnects

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfc_ozzie

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

Just upgraded my keezer to flow control disconnects from kegland (newer plastic ones) and just after a little help, currently waiting for a beer to keg so filled a keg with some soft drink (soda stream mix) chilled to 4c and then force-carbed it at 35PSI by shaking the keg, then I set to 10psi serving pressure. When I pour it no matter what speed I adjust the disconnect too, I just get fizzy foam and a flat drink.

Now from reading around online, some say that these disconnects don't handle high carbed liquids and create too much turbulence causing it to foam up, others have mentioned running longer lines but then they kind of defeats the purpose of having flow control doesn't it?

I am only running 30cm lines from flow control disconnect to the tap and I can see bubbles in the line after pouring, should I make them close to 60cm like Kee mentions in his Kegland video on these disconnects?

Not sure what to do other then go back and set up old disconnects.

Foam and a flat beverage is a pretty good sign that you have massively over carbonated.

At 4oC and 240kPa you will get around 9.5g/L of dissolved CO2. Shaking the keg will get that into solution pretty quickly.
At 4oC and 70kPa you would be close to the right amount of fizz around 4.6g/L.
You need to get the excess pressure out of the keg. Just keep tripping the PRV until you get rid of the excess.

Personally I find flow control (taps, disconnects or in-line) are useful for FINE adjustment. They won’t cope with massive over carbonation.
Having a bit of a read up on how to manage gas in kegs properly would be a good idea.
But if you set the regulator for the target amount of dissolved CO2 in this case say around 70kPa, give the keg a good shake at that pressure, let it rest overnight - you shouldn’t be too far off.
I like to work in Metric; the units are kPa for pressure and g/L for dissolved CO2 (rather than volumes), it makes all the calculations a lot easier.
Mark

1682240011174.png

Thanks Mark!

I guess I over carbed it from the beginning, when I filled this keg with the soda syrup, I checked online for what pressure for soft drink and most suggested 30 PSI so guess I over carbed it from the start or I didn't read all the info.

I will release the built up pressure over the next day or so to release the pressure and then sit it on 10 psi for a few days and see how that goes!

Think I was just chasing those big soda bubbles you get in the commercial form haha

I swapped to the flow control fittings and find it much easier to regulate the foaming, that and shortening the lines from 3 to 1m means my keezer is less of a spiders web of lines.

Latest posts

Back