Lo Carb Drinkers Exploited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the real problem is calling it 'beer'. I suggest:

'Slightly lower carbohydrate beer-coloured carbonated alcoholic beverage'

Catchy, huh?

I think the "real problem" is mindless consumers who don't take any personal responsiblity in any decision they make. We are all quick to talk about "rights" but not so quick to realise they only exist in a reciprocal dialectic with "responsiblites".

I think the real problem is calling it 'beer'. I suggest:

'Slightly lower carbohydrate beer-coloured carbonated alcoholic beverage'

Catchy, huh?

+1 for sure...

And i reckon the real solution is to educate the dicks who love this beer to appreciate a beer with some flavour.

One tool in the comments section said something about him drinking it because he loves the flavour of it, and then references xxxx and VB.....What a wanker...

Should have just said: "i love drinking this beer because i don't like the taste of beer"

"Man up" beer drinkers and have some balls for **** sake...

I think the "real problem" is mindless consumers who don't take any personal responsiblity in any decision they make. We are all quick to talk about "rights" but not so quick to realise they only exist in a reciprocal dialectic with "responsiblites".
Sure but there is also a real campaign of misinformation surrounding these products. I don't think it is unfair that in our regulated markets that people should be able to rely on the claims made by producers - sure, probably not a wise thing to do but in a perfect world, etc.

I'm just disappointed I need an account to vote the comments down

Sure but there is also a real campaign of misinformation surrounding these products. I don't think it is unfair that in our regulated markets that people should be able to rely on the claims made by producers - sure, probably not a wise thing to do but in a perfect world, etc.

Tru dat. But as idealistic as I might sound, the idea of "regulated" markets is also an ideal, albeit one that is easier to pretend we are doing.

I am ambivalent about it...I swing between distaste for the ridiculous lengths that marketers go to in order to confuse and entice the consumer to distaste for the consumer that won't make their own ethical choices.

I am no scientist but the best description I've heard so far on "low-carbohydrate" beers is tht the marketing is essentially true, but that ALL beers (using this particular marketing paradigm/semantic definition) are actually "low-carbohydrate".

I also think that with the availability of information these days there is even more onus on the conusmer.

Still, your point is taken. I for one have certain dietary restrictions and as a matter of habit I investigate claims, ingredients etc. When "low-carb" beer first appeared I simply compared the kilojoules and found that I was better off sticking to tooheys old (my drink of choice at the time) as it had something like 30 kilojoules less per 100mls or something.

Maybe I'm just a bit grumpy this morning. :D

edit: isn't it still "beer" though? Surely there is worse tasting crap made in Australia that is just as much "beer" as this stuff is? Ot am I being too precious about it?

I am no scientist but the best description I've heard so far on "low-carbohydrate" beers is tht the marketing is essentially true, but that ALL beers (using this particular marketing paradigm/semantic definition) are actually "low-carbohydrate".

I agree most brews would be low carbohydrate , the carbohydrates has been broken down by the yeast

To reduce the carbohydrate level further you would need to add enzyme to further reduce the level as in a dry/ultradry brew

this works well taking the FG down from 1006 to as low as 1002 or lower , the enzymes acting as a catalyst to assist the yeasts to ferment lower

omg - beer is making me fat :(

who would have thought?

QldKev

Give me a brew before any of this commercial crap any day of the week.

+1 for sure...

And i reckon the real solution is to educate the dicks who love this beer to appreciate a beer with some flavour.

I have a mate of mine who drinks Pure Blonde.

We've tried and tried to educate him with flavoursome beers, everything from APA's to Czech Pilsners to English Bitters. He just doesn't like them. He can drink Coopers Pale ale but by personal choice will always prefer to go back to Pure Blonde. We give him shit about it and he doesnt care... :D

From what I understand these beers are marketed (and even then only barely) as low-carb beers. And they are low carb beers.

If people jump to conclusions and don't understand the human metabolic system it is their own fault.

And if you read the article it's the typical wowser rubbish we expect from think tanks and mentions people would be better off drinking light beers. FFS. The reason people drink low carb beers is because they are full strength alcohol yet less carbohydrates. Telling them to drink light beer is not good advice, you may as well tell them to drink water and go for a run, ******* idiots.

Telling them to drink light beer is not good advice
Not when people flat out state they are drinking them because they believe them to be a healthier option. If a person states they want to be drinking the "healthiest" beer then there is no questioning the advice that a low alcohol beer is better for you. None.

Now if you want to question people's true motivations for drinking the stuff then go for it but the advice is sound even if it isn't what you want to hear.

If a person states they want to be drinking the "healthiest" beer then there is no questioning the advice that a low alcohol beer is better for you. None.

Yes there is, Non alcoholic beer - Like Coopers Birrell

8603.jpg

Ive drunk it once or twice -more than a decade ago- when I just turned 18 and went into a strip club that didnt have a liquor license. :D

Not when people flat out state they are drinking them because they believe them to be a healthier option. If a person states they want to be drinking the "healthiest" beer then there is no questioning the advice that a low alcohol beer is better for you. None.

I'm sure the survey was a completely rigorous process (not). I bet if they asked them "how would you feel if I told you light beers were healthier than full-strength low carb beers"? A hell of a lot of the respondents would say "Who gives a crap, shouldn't we be strictly comparing full strength beers of a low-carb and normal carb nature".

Or how about this. Many people drink Vodka and soda water because they believe it to be healthier than other alcoholic drinks because at the end of the day it's mostly ethanol and water.

If you told them they'd be better off doing the same thing but putting a 1/3 the amount of vodka in they would justifiably punch you in the face.

Sorry if i have missed your point MarkB but are you suggesting that reducing your alcohol intake isn't a healthy option?

I think what he's suggesting is that drinkers who drink to get pissed are wanting to minimize the impact to their health without cutting down on alcohol.

Sorry if i have missed your point MarkB but are you suggesting that reducing your alcohol intake isn't a healthy option?

I'm suggesting that it's patently obvious that that is the case, so it's bad advice, or at least unhelpful advice.

I'm pretty sure no low-carb marketing campaigns have told people to increase consumption, or even that they are a healthier option. In America they are called Lite Beers and I understand why someone would object to that. But in Australia they are called low-carbohydrate beers, which is actually quite accurate and perfectly fine. Most of them don't even advertise it strongly any more. The Hahn Super Dry ads for example are abstract and don't mention the benefits of the beer itself. Not sure about the other ones because I can't remember them.

Putting aside our obvious dislike of low carb megaswill, if you were going to treat this as a legitimate beer style and talk about it in an unbiased fashion, low carbohydrate beers would mean ones that finish with a low FG. If people desire that then I don't see what is wrong with it. It arguably makes it less bloating and easier to drink on a summers day etc (I drink Porter on a summers day by the way, just going with the popular consensus).

What I think is happening here is people are letting their hatred of megaswill and beer marketing cloud their judgement and committing a much worse act, siding with the bullshit think tanks and media wankers that are one of the main driving forces between our nanny state.

This is how these wankers work too. Divide and conquer.

This is why I'm passionate about the topic. Not because I give a crap about defending a certain type of beer.

Latest posts

Back