Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the white labs vials have recycle numbers on them? If it has a 5 in the triangle then it is polypropylene and resistant to pressure cooking. However, sometimes tube lids are made from different plastics to the main body, so you need to make sure the lid is also heat resistant. Please let me know as I also keep yeast and if the white labs vials can be used for slants it would be ideal (so far I have only used wyeast).

The white lab vials are unblown 1.25L PET bottles. I wouldn't use them for slants as they would soften quickly at high temps.

I have seen the new White Labs packaging for WLP001 at a local HBS recently, so I would assume that the time for the PET tubes are nearly over.

You can use them, they soften but harden up again, the biggest pain in the Arse is they don't stand up though so are awkward in the freezer.

Yob said:
so 2 days ago, I took out a vial of 1728 from the deep freezer, this vial has been rock solid for a year or so..

had about 10ml yeast solids in it, I put that into a 500ml 1.020 starter overnight, the next morning, there was visible signs of activity, condensation on the inside of the flask, a lightening of the wort.. so that evening, I made 2 x 2lt starters of 1.040 and split the 500ml between them.. again, overnight they were showing signs of activity, at 18hrs to 24hrs they were starting to foam so Ive turned them off and will let them ferment out before pitching to the Bummock Ale (~1.100 Scotch Ale / Heavy Wee Heavy)

Stoked and pretty impressed at the revival

1728.JPG
It wouldn't happen to be the one I left for you when you hosted the swap would it?
If so good to know about the ones I've got still.

I use bottled water for top up water rather than cooled boiled water. It should be pretty sterile shouldn't it?

whiteferret said:
It wouldn't happen to be the one I left for you when you hosted the swap would it?
If so good to know about the ones I've got still.
God only knows mate. Fired like a demon though, letting them ferment out now....

Win

Ive been considering using the baby stuff steriliser that we have for sterilising. Its a steam based unit, over 15mins or so. Anyone use something like that?

"Ive been considering using the baby stuff steriliser that we have for sterilising. Its a steam based unit, over 15mins or so. Anyone use something like that?"
Great idea sounds like a winner unless someone can come up with a reason not to!
Something like this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/191698474314

Edit: couldn't work out how to copy takai's post like everyone else seems to manage when replying.

Well I gave the old White Labs vial a boil for 5 minutes or so. Definitely became soft, around the screw top more so than the main body.

Had a bit of a search too, apparently PETE starts to soften at ~80C and becomes softer as temperature increases until it becomes liquid ~240C.

The black screw-top faired much better than the clear vial which became slightly opaque, either from the chlorine or the label adhesive or both.

Maybe leaving the black screw-top loosely on in a pressure cooker might help retain the shape.

Found a pressure cooker that is also a slow cooker and also does yogurt. SWMBO would love one of them, I might buy her one.

EDIT: As a special present for her to show my appreciation.

Not gonna do the multi-quote thing here..

Second-hand pressure cookers can be had for nix (check your grandmother's stash of stuff she's collected over a lifetime). Maybe all that's needed is a new sealing ring. I picked one up from a local "pressure-cooker repair" place for $10. 'Been using it for years.

To get proper sterilisation, you need to get the contents to ~ 120C for 10-15 minutes. Job done.

I've been eyeing-off one of these babies for awhile, but will wait until I can justify the cost to SWMBO: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Presto-21-litre-Pressure-Canner-Cooker-6-Ball-Mason-Quart-Preserving-Jars-/151710568294?hash=item2352a78f66

MartinOC said:
Not gonna do the multi-quote thing here..

Second-hand pressure cookers can be had for nix (check your grandmother's stash of stuff she's collected over a lifetime). Maybe all that's needed is a new sealing ring. I picked one up from a local "pressure-cooker repair" place for $10. 'Been using it for years.

To get proper sterilisation, you need to get the contents to ~ 120C for 10-15 minutes. Job done.

I've been eyeing-off one of these babies for awhile, but will wait until I can justify the cost to SWMBO: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Presto-21-litre-Pressure-Canner-Cooker-6-Ball-Mason-Quart-Preserving-Jars-/151710568294?hash=item2352a78f66
Stuff the cost, SWMBO is worth it

Hey Takai,

I use this for my yeast harvesting and haven't had any problems so far. Go for it!

avent.gif

I've not read this whole thread but was wondering if anyone has mentioned that growing your cryo-culture in a very nutrient poor medium will greatly increase viability.
the cell walls of well fed yeast have a high tendency to rupture leaving only those colonies that are less than optimum because of pre-existing nutrient uptake issues.

Edit: I should elaborate considerably more. The yeast needs to be cultured @25°C for 72h in YM media.
Grown in 10ml vials.

The YM media recipe is such:

3g yeast extract
3g malt extract
5g peptone
10g glucose
deionised water to make to 1 litre

The cryoprotectant solution should be 10%v/v glycerol mixed equally with the innoculum

Latest posts

Back