First liquid yeast spewed on opening

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
Making my first Red Ale I got my first liquid yeast in a test tube. White Labs Irish Ale WLP004. Temp nurtured the yeast to equal to the 1200ml starter in the flask. @ 20c. Shaking well, Opened the test tube it hissed and spewed. Is this normal? I frantically poured it into the flask anyway, capped and on the stir plate now. What I smelled, smelled like yeast etc..

I've got saved slurry's in the fridge of US-05, Notingham, Coopers Cultured from bottle. As options.

None of my saved yeasts expel any gas.

Feuw! They should have put that warning on the instructions then I would have planed for it.

Cheers :chug:

Had the same happen to me on a WLP800. No infections fortunately but a good example of why you should sanitise the outside of your yeast pack before you open it.
Ed: not suggesting the yeast might have been affected, but the way I tipped that frothing yeast into the flask left a lot to be desired as far as good practice is concerned.

Exactly my point. I lost some to spewing spillage! Its an important point.
Your definitely not going to scrape up that spillage on the bench and scrape it into the starter flask.

I always treat White Labs vials like a shaken bottle of soft drink. My method is to let it sit for 5-10mins after shaking and then crack the lid and immediately tighten, repeat a number of times; this should ensure the excess gasses are driven off, and not your precious yeast.

I think I spewed the first time I got pissed. Live and learn. Haven't spewed from grog since I don't know when. But yeah those tubes shocked me the first time with that. But I hear they're sachets now aren't they?

Heh heh. Yep, they do that :)

In addition to Spiesy's method, I give it a crack *prior* to shaking as well. Actually - I give them a crack when cold and undisturbed, and then again after it's warmed to room temp. Then I shake, wait, crack, repeat.

I wore the contents of my first yeast vial.

indica86 said:
that is a large amount of crack there mofox
Yeah, I heard a rumour that he's a bit of a crack whore. NO! Wait! That was the rumour I started...... :unsure:

mofox1 said:
Heh heh. Yep, they do that :)

In addition to Spiesy's method, I give it a crack *prior* to shaking as well. Actually - I give them a crack when cold and undisturbed, and then again after it's warmed to room temp. Then I shake, wait, crack, repeat.

I wore the contents of my first yeast vial.
To be honest, I'd rather the White Labs crack approach than the Wyeast smack approach - where I've ended up bursting the whole packet all over the floor, and me.

That shit is ridiculous. I mean like our politics.
Let the people know how it works straight up! Rather than the subdued mollycoddled sheltered version.
Why shelter the real thing, in all aspects. Including home brew, cooking, consuming etc.

Oops! I'm confused with one of those Political forums etc.

and think of the losses. The Losses!

This stuff from another side of the worlds best brewing etc.

Spilt, on my bench.

I'd say it was about 4% of the vial.

Pretty confident on the brew still. :beerbang:

Back