Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1728 that's been frozen well over a year, probably 18 months has taken my scotch ale from ~1.100 to 1.020 in just on 5 days.

I'm gunna take that as a viability and vitality win also.

Yob said:
My 1728 that's been frozen well over a year, probably 18 months has taken my scotch ale from ~1.100 to 1.020 in just on 5 days.

I'm gunna take that as a viability and vitality win also.
Like a cut cat.

Just put down 4 vials of Nottingham with 35% glycerine.

What are poeple thoughts on freezing a pack of roeselare blend? Has anyone tried it, would the bugs survive? I may just have to give it a go and see

I don't think it'd be any different. You're still adding the same glycerine buffer to stop the same (same basic structure, anyway) cell walls from being damaged in the freezing process.
That's my understanding of it.
I'm stepping up and splitting a Wyeast 3031 for freezing (saison/brett) currently and predict the same excellent results as I've had with my regular yeasts.

Sorry if this is covered in the thread already, but do ya need to decant off the glycerine solution once defrosted and then put it in a starter might be a dumb question but i only thought of it after pitching the whole vial in a 200ml starter last night not seeing any action yet, this is my first attempt at reviving my frozen stock.

Awesome thats good news, yeah i wasnt expecting much action on the first step will step up to a 500ml tomorrow night

Yob said:
Go to 2000 if you have it, x10 step is good, I'll often go into 500 ml off the bat and then 2000ml
Erm...unless I'm missing something that's a x4 step (in volume).

Have you been sniftering the Bummock a bit early there, Yob?

MartinOC said:
Erm...unless I'm missing something that's a x4 step (in volume).

Have you been sniftering the Bummock a bit early there, Yob?

just for clarity, Michael is proposing he pitch his 200ml starter into a 500ml starter, Im suggesting he go to a 2000ml starter..

What I generally do is a different case again...

So the next morning after pitching the 200ml into 2l of 1040 wort it was going off smells like success. Big thanks to the contibuters of this thread this means liquid yeast whenever i need it.

thanks yob
do u mean make the salt ice ? i was thinking maybe a small foam esky but haven't been able to source one

Yep, salt ice will be colder, I initially used a cluplock box and gaffe taped Styrofoam to it... Worked but I ended up dedicating space in the deep freezer... Better

Yeh... I use a 3 or 4 ish litre capacity styrofoam container, which I believe just came from Coles or Woolies. Enough for ~100 vials (mixed 50ml & 15ml).

Basically looks like a tiny nude esky. :lol:

This thread has inspired me to make these up at work today. I'm picking up 3 Wyeast smack packs on Monday so will split them up.
Living 2hrs north of Melb is a pain in the arse when it comes to getting yeast sent up in good condition, especially in summer.
They are 28ml containers with 6ml of water and 6ml of glycerine. Will put about 12ml of yeast in each one so hopefully get about 8 per pack.
Autoclaved at 121°C for 25min.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446185074.062431.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1446185114.262775.jpg

Latest posts

Back