Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn that's impressive Yob.
I tried to revive one of my west coast IPAs over the weekend and I got nothing going on. Little yeasties did not survive. I will pull another out and see how it goes.

are you thawing quickly? what are your steps? Matt was having trouble too but he was just chucking them into 2lt flasks which is a bit much for the poor devils.

what percentage glycerine?

I drop mine in a glass of tap water and change after 5 minutes and go 500ml > 2000ml/3000ml (depending on the planned brew and the activity)

Ooops, so you're supposed to thaw quickly?
I've got two small starters going atm. My first attempt with frozen vials. I just let the vials thaw in the fridge. The 1217 has started but the 1275 is doing nothing. Might grab another and try again.

I was doing the same initially cam, reading suggests that a quick thaw helps avoid shearing of the cell wall during the thaw, anecdotally, I've seen improvement in behaviour since adopting the water thaw approach. Some folks even hold it in their hands till it gets to temp, I reckon that's a bit of overkill though.

Yob said:
are you thawing quickly? what are your steps? Matt was having trouble too but he was just chucking them into 2lt flasks which is a bit much for the poor devils.

what percentage glycerine?

I drop mine in a glass of tap water and change after 5 minutes and go 500ml > 2000ml/3000ml (depending on the planned brew and the activity)
So I chucked the vial in the fridge to defrost overnight then into the 100ml starter then 500ml then 2000ml. My % glycerin is the same as yours as I do a 50/50 water glycerin solution and half fill the 50ml vials pressure cook and cool then top up with the yeast solution. I have then put straight in the freezer. To chill as quickly as possible. Should I be giving the yeast time to absorb the glycerin or is it fine just going straight into the freezer. I will try a fast defrost of another vial this arvo and see if I have any better luck with viability.

I go into the fridge for a day or two then freeze, exactly for that reason, right / wrong dunno, just my method

Well here goes take two. WY1217 in 500ml after the frozen yeast vial was defrosted in a glass of water. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1428295466.560298.jpg

I was in a rush so warmed up a vial of 1469 and tossed it straight in with the 1275.
The 1469 was foaming before it even defrosted! Love that yeast.

Haha! Transfer Station or as its known in some circles: the Egg Compartment.

How are you going to cope when you have a bank of each strain?
Your next "hobby" will have to involve several acres and barley/wheat/rye!

Alex.Tas said:
How are you going to cope when you have a bank of each strain?
Your next "hobby" will have to involve several acres of hops!
FTFY ;)

TBH, I think Ive already peaked with most strains I use for the styles I like.. I need a quantum shift in tastes to further it..

Maybe I'll brew a Lager....

So my wife took out 10 vials of yeast last night, while getting something else out.
Of course she forgot to put the back in the freezer, they been sitting outside all night.
Now what to do, can I refreeze or is that just a waste of time?

Latest posts

Back