Leaking gas system - what is my reg telling me?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I've lost my gas tank twice over the last year, usually blaming some average kegs I got when I first started kegging, but I've also had suspicions about the lines and splitters themselves.

I've had the setup quite simple for the last few months: Tank>Reg>NRV>One Gas QD. No leaks.

The other day I decided to try going back to my complex setup: Tank>Reg>NRV>Splitter>Splitter>Three Lines.

I turned the gas on to 30KPA, and the high pressure gauge showed my available gas. I then turned off the gas to avoid risking losing it all. 24 hours later, both gauges were showing zero.

Tried the same tonight, but am monitoring more closely. The high pressure gauge has almost dropped to zero, but the low pressure is still at 30kpa.

Is that just the nature of leaks...high pressure first then low pressure, or is this giving me an hint as to where I can find the leak?

It's telling you that the bottle is empty and can only supply 30kpa.
This would hardly register on the high pressure gauge.
You can weigh the cylinder to confirm this.
To find leaks get a spray bottle with sudsy detergent and water in it and spray all connections and bubbles will show up any leaks.Even very small ones.

Bottle is not empty....to be clear, I am turning the bottle on for long enough to get pressure up, then turning off straight away. My understanding is that it should then hold that pressure if it's not leaking?

I need to do the bubble test or even a bathtub test, but just wondering if the high pressure showing a loss first (with no further gas to keep it up) tells me anything?

High pressure will drop off quickly, it's the low pressure you need to look at. If you low pressure is stable without a keg attached, then you have a problem with keg. If you have some keg lube try a light smear one the lid O ring, also open the pressure relief and put some on your finger and press into there. A little under the posts as well, you would be amazed the difference this makes.

Batz

Leaks are often at the regulator seal, where it contacts the bottle, some soapy water will prove or disprove this.

I had this recently.

I pulled the entire gas system out of the freezer - splitter, 2x 4-way manifolds, ends, etc.
Pressurised it up to 200kpa and put each join or part into a bucket of water.

I found a few tiny leaks, but they were in places I had not checked before - like on the manifold.

If you have a very restricted space like a KegMate style kegerator, John Guest splitters in particular can have a fair bit of strain on them, especially this type:

2-way-divider.JPG

This bugger caused the most serious leak I've had so far. The equal-tees aren't so bad but to be sure I replaced all my splitters with $3 jobs from Supa Cheap Auto.

equal t plastic.jpg

JG fittings are great if you change your config from time to time of course.

My understanding was with the bottle off, if there was a leak or the beer was consuming the gas then the high pressure guage would decrease as it maintains the set pressure for the low guage. Once high pressure hits 0, then the low pressure starts going down.

However this is just my hypothetical understanding of regulators.

of mice and gods said:
My understanding was with the bottle off, if there was a leak or the beer was consuming the gas then the high pressure guage would decrease as it maintains the set pressure for the low guage. Once high pressure hits 0, then the low pressure starts going down.

However this is just my hypothetical understanding of regulators.
That's certainly what I am observing.

I'm dong another test today with less gear down the line...see how we go...

You haven't got them connected to an uncarbonated keg by chance?

I shouldn't have said anything..

I just plumbed up two more taps (total 4) and added a 4 way gas manifold to the kegerator.. now I'm losing some serious pressure from the cylinder. What makes it harder is I'm currently carbing 3 kegs (so I expect some pressure loss but this is way above my expectations). I guess I'll just see what happens, if I run out of gas I'll be leak testing the new manifold as I rebuilt the posts on all the kegs and pressure tested all ok

Al

pcmfisher said:
You haven't got them connected to an uncarbonated keg by chance?
Nope. Completely disconnected for testing purposes.

Latest posts

Back