Carbonate and maintain carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a fair chance its chlorinated trisodium phosphate, widely called Pink Stain Remover (PSR).
If it came from a commercial club it could be most anything, the colouring (pink) is just something manufacturers add, like blue bits in laundry powder.
Look up PSR, its good on glass and plastic, usually just a level teaspoon in 5L of warm water. It is however a bit of an environmental cluster f'ck, if that matters to you.
Mark

Personally I use sodium percarbonate, pretty effective and about as low an environmental impact as you will get.
The stuff in the link, well Bracton aren't saying much about what is in it, which sux. Reads like Sodium carbonate (AKA Washing Soda) and a surfactant, but even digging up the safety data sheet doesn't reveal a heap.
Mark

I use that coles brand unscented laundry powder ... sodium percarbonate .. $2.50 to clean everything... so that is the best and cheapest 😂

Not sure if this a useful contribution but DAZGORE messaged me a while ago about glass attenuation (i think it is called). I purchased some nice glasses and used my Ozito engraver to "agitate" the bottom of all 24 glassed and it is amazing how this simple engraving releases the carbonation from the liquid. You do not need to do too much just a simple circle and I do a cross inside the circle and bloody great carbonation. If you want the technical detail about this...dont ask me but it bloody works extremely well

Ahhh, the old "head master" trick.
Not wishing to be a "damp rag" here guys but what you are doing is creating nucleation points to bring the co2 out of solution, which is fine if you want a nice frothy head, BUT! (rofl) that co2 has to come from somewhere, and it's coming from the beer, in effect you are just accelerating the process of the beer going flat, not a problem if you're drinking it quickly (is there any other way I hear Darren say :drinkingbeer: ) but if you are taking your time the beer will go flat quite quickly, it's similar to the old salt trick, or the menthos in a bottle of coke, rocket. Horses for courses, but I hate those head master glasses, may need to speed up my consumption rates.

Not wishing to be a "damp rag" here guys but what you are doing is creating nucleation points to bring the co2 out of solution, which is fine if you want a nice frothy head, BUT! (rofl) that co2 has to come from somewhere, and it's coming from the beer, in effect you are just accelerating the process of the beer going flat, not a problem if you're drinking it quickly (is there any other way I hear Darren say :drinkingbeer: ) but if you are taking your time the beer will go flat quite quickly, it's similar to the old salt trick, or the menthos in a bottle of coke, rocket. Horses for courses, but I hate those head master glasses, may need to speed up my consumption rates.
I think head is good but can be over rated. Yes a Pilsner with a nice thick persistent head and lacing is great, but some beers just don't do it.

I find my stouts and porters struggle with head and with a low vol of carb I agree 100% with the going flat fast issue.

Love the Headmaster glasses with their little Criss crosses on the bottom. Keeps a great head for lager type beers and in our hot weather in the North works well!🍻🍻🍻Mind you , you might have to speed up your consumption rates lol

I think head is good but can be over rated. Yes a Pilsner with a nice thick persistent head and lacing is great, but some beers just don't do it.

I find my stouts and porters struggle with head and with a low vol of carb I agree 100% with the going flat fast issue.
Agree Kadium. I use different glasses to support different beers. Drives my wife crazy! Lol🍻🍻🍻

Back