Lcpa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also had a go at Boonie's LCPA recipe and it was a big hit with all my friends. It's now become one of my regular brews. I think it's a pretty good match with colour, gravity and aroma(but nothing can match the aroma of the real LCPA :) ) Details:

Ingredients -
1.7kg Morgans Stockmans Draught
1.5Kg Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract
40g Cascade pellets
15g Chinook pellets
Safale US56 yeast
Notes -
boil 6L water with liquid malt.
Add 25g Cascade for 15mins
Add 15g Cascade at flame out
cool pot in sink
pour wort into fermenter
Pour kit can into fermeter
top up fermentor to 23L
ferment at 16-18 degrees
rack to secondary
dry hop with 15g Chinook pellets

Racked after 7 days
OG - 1047
FG - 1013
Alcohol - 5.2%

i've done this receipe, cracked open the first one tonight, quite frankly my best homebrew yet! a big thanks to person who came up with this one. my new favourite brew :icon_chickcheers:

hi guys, i wanna try to do this recipe tomorrow but with some differences

1 tin Morgans Stockmans Draught - / Instead Thomas coopers draught 1.7kg

1.5 kg of Morgans Extra Pale Malt Extract (Liquid) instead Briess LME 1.5kg

15g of Cascade pellets - 15min

10g Cluster pellets - 15 min

12g of Chinook Pellets (dry hopped at rack)

US56 Yeast

what sort of alcohol content do you think this will have?
I kinda want it to be around the 5% mark if possible, should i add more LME?
I have also seen a variation of this recipe that also adds 250g of wheat malt (i think)

any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on your volume...23 litres will give you 4.6% after bottle conditioning. If you want 5%, back it off to 21 litres in the fermenter, or stick with 23 litres and add 250 grams of light or wheat DME.

Okay thanks heaps.
How do you work that out? Do you use that beersmith program?

Thanks again,

i just realized that the bries malt extract is 1.5kg DME and Not LME, will this still be okay?

sorry still getting my head around some of this stuff

The Stockmans can along with 1.5kg of DME will give you 5% abv after bottle conditioning in 23 litres...DME gives you more bang for buck per kilo than LME.

you won't be disapointed in this brew mate. I have made it a few times now I love it

I just made up my second batch of beer, based on Boonie's LCPA. I have my first batch (an APA sitting in coopers fermenter) but I couldn't wait so I went out and bought one of those 30L drums from bunnings to do this batch. Like I said, I based it on Boonie's LCPA but was using what I had.

1 x Coopers Canadian Blonde tin
1 x Black Rock Light Malt Extract (liquid)
200g coopers dry light malt extract
15g cascade hops teabag 15min
15g cluster hops teabag 15min
US-05 yeast

Gonna dry hop with 25g of Chinook

OG 1.046 and it's at 22 degrees now... hope it turns out!

Also, can anyone help me with a couple of questions about my first brew?
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76318-hello-from-wa-first-brew-coming-up/?p=1101260

I made a extract version of LCPA a month ago now, just tasted the first bottle the other day and it was great - very close to the real thing IMHO. The site I got the recipe off of also has a K&K version they recommend:

• Blackrock Pilsner Blonde
  • 500g LDME
  • 500g Dextrose
  • 200g Caramunich grain steeped for 20min in 1lt of hot water
  • 15g Cascade Hops @ 10 minutes
  • Safale Yeast - fermenting @ 18'c
Makes 23lt.

I reckon you might get a bit closer adding another 15g of chinook @ 5 or 10 minutes too and maybe dry hopping some more cascade but I'm really just guessing here not having made this particular recipe myself. However the extract recipe from these guys turned out great and is probably the best beer I've made out of the 8 I've brewed so far. Here's the recipe if it's any help, the hop schedule looks pretty spot on to me:

http://brewerschoice.com.au/extract-a-little-cheaper-pale-ale/

* The lager/pilsner pack referred to in the recipe is just 250g of CaraMunich (or Carapils in a pinch)

menoetes said:
I made a extract version of LCPA a month ago now, just tasted the first bottle the other day and it was great - very close to the real thing IMHO. The site I got the recipe off of also has a K&K version they recommend:

• Blackrock Pilsner Blonde
  • 500g LDME
  • 500g Dextrose
  • 200g Caramunich grain steeped for 20min in 1lt of hot water
  • 15g Cascade Hops @ 10 minutes
  • Safale Yeast - fermenting @ 18'c
IMHO you should drop the dextrose and add 1Kg of LDME. It will give you far more than you lose by dropping the dex.

Latest posts

Back