Lager brewing in a fridge without temp controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbutlerau

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm looking to brew a lager soon and i would love to use my fridge sitting in the garage to keep it nice and cool. I would put in a thermostat controller to get to to be 12 degrees nice and accurate but sadly this will be my main kitchen fridge when i move out (was the main fridge in last apartment, currently back with the folks while i finish my thesis) so i don't want to mess with the internals. Do you have any recommendation on keeping it at lager ferment temperatures? I was thinking a timer attached to the power point so it only runs from like 12-2pm or something.I do have a STC-1000 sitting around. Can this be used externally at the mains with modification?

Cheers

MAte the STC1000 is a thermostat controller. The idea is to wire it up (do a search here for how to), put the temp probe in the fridge, plug the fridge into the stc and the stc into the wall. Set your desired temp and the controller cycles the fridge on and off to maintain temp.

Haha yeah previously i had only seen setups with it bypassing the thermostat internally. Now i feel like a muppet. looks like i have some wiring to do. Do you have a recommendation for a case for it?

Generally if you turn the internal thermostat to the least-cold setting it should be ok for lager ferment. Too cold for ales though.

Related question, how recommended is having a heat source? Im a bit broke right now so would love to avoid buying a heat belt etc.

For a lager in summer I doubt you'd need a heater. If it gets too cold which I doubt, put a container of hot water in the fridge

i used a spare lamp with a terracotta pot over it for years pretty cheap heat source

Yeah, I use an old electric blanket only when it's in the depths of winter here in Sydney. You should be fine without a heat source for lager brewing.

bbutlerau said:
Related question, how recommended is having a heat source? Im a bit broke right now so would love to avoid buying a heat belt etc.
I think it's important, less so for lager of course.

And I'd recommend an infrared ceramic reptile heat lamp above anything else. No UV rays, no direct content to your wort - win, win.

Will get a heat lamp for my next ale then. From a pet shop?
Any advice on getting the probe/lamp cables into the fridge while keeping the seal ok? also what is better; the probe taped to the fermenter or into a small container of water? The fermenter would be a bit warmer right, as fermentation is exothermic?

bbutlerau said:
Will get a heat lamp for my next ale then. From a pet shop?
Any advice on getting the probe/lamp cables into the fridge while keeping the seal ok? also what is better; the probe taped to the fermenter or into a small container of water? The fermenter would be a bit warmer right, as fermentation is exothermic?
Don't put it in a container of water as that water has no relation to the temp of the fermenter as the fermentation creates its own heat. Stick it to the side with some insulation like stubbie holder or something or get a thermowell

Spiesy said:
I think it's important, less so for lager of course.
Not, a couple of bottles with hot water to kick it off.
Fermentation being exothermic will deal with it

indica86 said:
Not, a couple of bottles with hot water to kick it off.
Fermentation being exothermic will deal with it
Oh okay. Sorry, my mistake.

ceramic heat lamp is a great idea, but I can highly recommend putting it in a cage or some kind of shield. We used to have a lizard and my forearm will still vouch for the fact they burn flesh very quickly. they don't look or sound like anythng when they're on so be a bit careful.

temp control away - single best thing I ever did for my brewing.

doon said:
i used a spare lamp with a terracotta pot over it for years pretty cheap heat source
+1, only minus the pot (terracotta that is).

Lamp is under the wooden shelf though (no direct illumination to fermenter). Actually, lamp broke a month or so back. Now using the base of a heat lamp. Same same.

printed forms section said:
ceramic heat lamp is a great idea, but I can highly recommend putting it in a cage or some kind of shield. We used to have a lizard and my forearm will still vouch for the fact they burn flesh very quickly. they don't look or sound like anythng when they're on so be a bit careful.

temp control away - single best thing I ever did for my brewing.
There are different wattage versions available. I went with low wattage, less chance of overshooting your temp.

Tupperware-style food container makes adequate box for the STC.

Back