Kk Co2 Bottles - Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hubby

Reaction score
Been a while since I've been on here ... just wondering if anyone has purchased a Keg King CO2 bottle and if they're any good (NB: I've seen the spam posts by Keg King and am not impressed).

The price just seems too good to be true and they state they are AS2030 compliant: http://www.kegking.com.au/gasbottlesandregulators.html ... and ... http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CO2-Carbon-Dioxide-...410126001r17609.

FYI, I've made enquiries with to SafeWork SA to find out about this specific registration of CO2 plant ... ie seems a bit odd that they are selling out of VIC, the registered office is in VIC ( http://www.mchaustralia.com/ ) but have gone to SA to have the CO2 bottle designs registered for compliance with AS2030 (This can be done in VIC too) - could be a very plausible reason for this.

Will let you know how it goes ;)

Let us know what you found out. I have seen those today as well and thought thats a good deal. That always makes you wonder if there is a catch...

Been a while since I've been on here ... just wondering if anyone has purchased a Keg King CO2 bottle and if they're any good (NB: I've seen the spam posts by Keg King and am not impressed).
:icon_offtopic:
I wouldn't be to impressed with them if I lived in NSW either, I've seen shabby standards of quality control on web pages before but this is ridiculous for a bussiness site http://www.kegking.com.au/stores.html

Cheers from Westurn Oustralia :icon_cheers:

The reasearch continues ... the design per AS2030 is legit. However, bottles must ALSO be stamped to comply with AS2875, AND imported bottles must have details of the accredited testing service stamped as well. No stamping, then no re-fill.

Hi,

Any more news regarding kegking cylinders???

are they worth it (the risk)
also looking at them today

mike

Okay, the short answer is: they can't answer a couple of simple questions :angry:

... bottles must ALSO be stamped to comply with AS2875, AND imported bottles must have details of the accredited testing service stamped as well. No stamping, then no re-fill.

Therefore, if you're after a bottle which complies with all Aust Stds and State pressure vessel requirements ... don't bother unless you can see them before purchase and can validate all stampings. Their list of agents is impressive but do these agents in fact know they are listed on the website? I'd suggest not.

I wouldn't waste my money!

Okay, the short answer is: they can't answer a couple of simple questions :angry:

Therefore, if you're after a bottle which complies with all Aust Stds and State pressure vessel requirements ... don't bother unless you can see them before purchase and can validate all stampings. Their list of agents is impressive but do these agents in fact know they are listed on the website? I'd suggest not.

I wouldn't waste my money!

This is confirmed in Brisbane. Visited a number of stores today and could not get it filled up anywhere, they all refused.

Any update on this??

Reasoning given was something to do with a pending lawsuit and that they do not meet Australian Standards, was in a rush to get the thing filled that day so didn't stick around to find out all the details. All stores I visited were listed on KK's website as swapping or refilling their CO2 cylinder.

Reasoning given was something to do with a pending lawsuit and that they do not meet Australian Standards, was in a rush to get the thing filled that day so didn't stick around to find out all the details. All stores I visited were listed on KK's website as swapping or refilling their CO2 cylinder.

So what did you do? buy a new bottle?

We sell 2.6kg Keg King bottles. They are compliant, have been hydrostatically tested by the manufacturer and hydrostatically tested again by a licenced Australian test station (Selby's testing in Victoria), stamped with MP48 registered number and test date.
Having also personally had the bottles inspected by a local hydrostatic testing & filling station with many years experience, and been told that they have the correct design registered and approved and having been individually tested - they meet compliance and legal requirements in all ways required for the bottles to be filled in Australia. Simple as that.

I cannot comment on the information provided by or the decisions made by other businesses interstate or otherwise because it's their perogative to make those decisions as they see fit, but I am happy to fill the bottles that we have as my advice says that all the details stack up.

For the record I am also fully aware that we are listed on the KK website, and overall I have found Kee @ KK to be polite and helpful. I'm not sure that he deserves the criticism that his business is receiving. What he does deserve as a retailer/wholesaler who's putting his time and money on the line to provide products that we can do with at a fair price - is a fair go. Something that too often retailers don't get on here when the mud starts getting slung around by people who in some cases seem to have registered specifically to make their comments anonymously.........

These bottles are currently in stock can be inspected by any interested party.

regards
Wayne

I saw some in Bribie Home Brew n bits the other day. They look the goods and would be great with a kegerator. However the store only does swaps and it concerns me that if I spend $230 and either KK go bust or Bribie Home Brew likewise I'm stuck with an expensive boat anchor, if the local gas dealer won't fill them.

I have heard back from the guys at KK and they have informed me of a store down at underwood that they guarantee will fill the cylinder. Will post back my experiences once done.

I was never having a go at them, but I cannot refute the fact that a number of stores listed on their website as 'partners' refused service. There was no 'mud slinging', just stating facts.

P.S. I am not a user that has created a new 'anonymous' account to post these details, I challenge the forum moderators to confirm this by checking my IP address.

A guy brought a Keg King bottle into my shop last Friday just at a glance it's missing 3 of the required pieces of information, namely: -

1) Design approval/registration no

2) Australian Test Station mark

3) Manufacturers name

Bear in mind that I make a profit from filling bottles; but the fine for filling noncompliant bottles is up to $27,500 and I get workcover on my arse (never good).

Mind you it's a better looking bottle than some of the very dodgy bottles that get dragged in.

MHB

Fair comment MHB, I'm not sure that they are the same bottles though, as mine appear to have all those details. The way I look at it is that Selbys (the hydro testing station in VIC) that tests & stamps the bottles I have is prepared to put their business and licence to operate on the line, and so is the local hydro place Fire Systems Service - and initially it's up to them to assess that the bottle complies before they even consider stamping it because they are liable for it. Both are prepared to fill the bottle. Both are much bigger businesses than mine, with much more expertise so I'm happy to rely on their professional advice. Not disagreeing with the rules and regulations, they are there to keep us safe after all. Having been in the room when an oxy bottle has been knocked over and taken flight, I can attest to the fact that bottles are not a plaything ....Scared the living bejeeezus out of me. :D

Being a former certified hydotester I followed this thread with interest and decided to do some investigating for myself. The KK bottles I have seen do meet Australian Standards and I have had it confirmed that they need to be tested prior to being refilled. So if they have a test stamp which is in date they are fine if they don't they need to be tested first, prior to refilling. That can at any of the hydrotesting sites listed on the KK website. If there are LHBS selling them without a test stamps perhaps they should contact KK to get them swapped for ones that have been tested before selling them to unsuspecting punters who are not up scratch on this issue.

I would rather fill a bottle than not.

But like I said, the one that came in was lacking the details.

MHB

Looks like I hit a raw nerve for some - chill, have a beer and read on :blink:

Being a former certified hydotester I followed this thread with interest and decided to do some investigating for myself. The KK bottles I have seen do meet Australian Standards and I have had it confirmed that they need to be tested prior to being refilled. So if they have a test stamp which is in date they are fine if they don't they need to be tested first, prior to refilling. That can at any of the hydrotesting sites listed on the KK website. If there are LHBS selling them without a test stamps perhaps they should contact KK to get them swapped for ones that have been tested before selling them to unsuspecting punters who are not up scratch on this issue.
I was able to confirm the CO2 cylinder design per AS2030 was legit through SA - no problems there. However as I stated previously, I found out that they must also meet AS2875, and if they were imported, that they must be tested and stamped to show testing. This is the actual e-mail I received in April 2009 from the Chief Advisor - Engineering, Safework SA, regarding my query:

I confirm this is the design registration number for this particular CO2 cylinder, and the design registration is recognised throughout Australia.

Under AS 2030, and under our design registration requirements, the design registration number (SD 20081074-1) must be stamped on each cylinder. In addition, the cylinder must be permanently stamped with information as stipulated in AS 2875, including the name of manufacturer, serial number , water capacity, test pressure, date of testing.

An imported cylinder must be inspected by an accredited gas cylinder test station in Australia before it can be refilled. You must be able to see the gas cylinder test station stamping (in the form of a cylinder logo + registration number). If this is not on the cylinder , it cannot be refilled.
Murcluf, can you clarify if the KK cylinders actually meet these additional requirements?

After receiving the e-mail from Safework SA, I directed these queries to the seller and they/he could not answer these questions. I was simply told that the AS2030 "certificate" would suffice. (I note the link to this file has been removed from the website - curious?).

If someone can clear these issues up, then that would be brilliant.

If not, then I say, continue with caution.

Also, if they are still a viable option, does anyone have a ball park cost for testing to make them compliant? Can anyone post a picture of what sort of markings / stampings we should expect to see on a fully compliant imported CO2 cylinder?

I got mine from Beerbelly, it has all those stamps inc "gas cylinder test station stamping (in the form of a cylinder logo + registration number)". I dont know the actual design reg number for the bottle , it has 302372 stamped on so maybe thats it. Amanda at Beerbelly told me they had a previous batch with no test station logo& reg num which came with a certificate but she sent them back. Hope that helps. Cheers

Back