Leland mini CO2 bulb cartridge regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chridech said:
Technobabble the paintball adapter is definitely not adjustable. I like your idea of a ghetto adapter for the adapter but I suspect it would be pretty tricky to get it right. I'll have a play around with it this weekend.

But anyway I've ordered this adapter which is adjustable and is said to fit any SS cylinder ( apparently there are new and old versions). $22 delivered isn't going to break the bank and I'm looking for redemption after my gaf earlier in the week.

http://r.ebay.com/8h6fiG

I'll post when it arrives.
This looks to be a type 30 to soda stream adapter, which allows soda stream bottles to be used with standard CO2 regs. The problem is the leland reg and the Chinese knock-off does not have a type 30 fitting but a 5/8 fitting. If you find a 5/8 to soda stream adapter or 5/8 to type 30 adapter I am all ears. As I said earlier I got a quote from Gascon for $105 plus freight to make this adapter, although a bulk order may well be cheaper??

I know a few places with CNC machines and lathes that could potentially turn a few of these if we provided exact specs/threads. Is the soda stream thread etc known dimensions?

I think the soda stream option would be more difficult because you really need the adjustable pin to cope with a range of soda stream bottles. It may be simpler to make a type 30 to 5/8 adapter and then purchase the type 30 to soda stream adapter with adjustable pin for those who wish to use it with a soda stream bottle.

Forgive my ignorance but how different is 5/8 to Type 30. I know this is gas and not liquid, but could enough of the trusty plumbers tape make up the difference?

Fwiw, (as I think BnT outlined) the Australian SS bottles have a US CGA320 type thread, which I believe is the same as Australian Type 30 thread.

I thought Cridech got the paintball adaptor to fit the SS bottle (minus release pin though)??

IMG_0673.JPGI think this photo illustrates the difference between the type 30 standard CO2 fitting (left) and 5/8 leland fitting (right). The leland reg is really aimed at a small portable CO2 cylinder.

Erm ... yeah, ... bit of a difference!! :lol:

So wtf was going on in post#25??
It really looks like the SS bottle fits nicely into the paintball adaptor. So how's that work??

technobabble66 said:
Forgive my ignorance but how different is 5/8 to Type 30. I know this is gas and not liquid, but could enough of the trusty plumbers tape make up the difference?

Fwiw, (as I think BnT outlined) the Australian SS bottles have a US CGA320 type thread, which I believe is the same as Australian Type 30 thread.

I thought Cridech got the paintball adaptor to fit the SS bottle (minus release pin though)??
US CGA320 is the paint ball fitting and is not the same as the Australian type 30 fitting.

technobabble66 said:
Erm ... yeah, ... bit of a difference!! :lol:

So wtf was going on in post#25??
It really looks like the SS bottle fits nicely into the paintball adaptor. So how's that work??
It would appear in post#25 that this he is using the US CGA320 (paint ball) fitting to connect to a soda stream bottle, but remember it does not push release the pin to release gas so it is useless. The soda stream fitting is proprietary.

So type 30 (Aus CO2) is different to CGA320 ( US paint ball) is different to soda stream (proprietary) is different to 5/8 (leland CO2). That is why I would suggest getting a type 30 to 5/8 fitting made, then people can use it with a normal Australian CO2 bottle and/or purchase a type 30 to soda stream adapter (with adjustable pin from eBay) if they want to use a soda stream bottle.

Unfortunately the stem is 1/4" BSP.... Damn. I'll see what I can do about getting adaptor a turned but sounds like your idea to not incorporate the soda stream style into it would be best.

Update on things, seller is away until early next week so will email me then to get the ball rolling and I'll pass him over to techno to get the bulk buy going. Good times :)

Quick qualifier: I need to work out how to get around this SS issue.
Basically if we can't, or if it's going to cost a fair chunk, I'll be better off sucking it up and getting a regular boring regulator. In which case I'll not be involved in a BB.
Apologies for (maybe) throwing a spanner in the works, but I need to be pragmatic (esp as I think I can get a normal reg for ~$50). [emoji53]

If the paintball will screw onto the SS, why not drill straigjt through where the post is and thread it.

Tap and die set would probably cost more than getting a few bespoke adaptors made though wouldnt it?

This looks promising (and cheap) if you're happy with a solution solely for the disposable cartridges.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32272464542.html

The ad even brags about being leak free.

It's for an aquarium by can't see any reason this wouldn't work on a keg...?

That's back to the original issue. There're heaps of cheap regs out there. The trick is finding a good one that's not going to pack it in after a few uses or leak out a bulb over a few hours. The Leland (or Leland clone) seems to be of a higher quality. Hence this BB thread to try to get a more expensive but higher quality reg at a cheaper price.
Assuming it fits all the required bulbs/bottles of course [emoji6]
Always good to keep hunting for a bargain, but no cigar this time, I believe. [emoji41]

Black n Tan said:
This looks to be a type 30 to soda stream adapter, which allows soda stream bottles to be used with standard CO2 regs. The problem is the leland reg and the Chinese knock-off does not have a type 30 fitting but a 5/8 fitting. If you find a 5/8 to soda stream adapter or 5/8 to type 30 adapter I am all ears. As I said earlier I got a quote from Gascon for $105 plus freight to make this adapter, although a bulk order may well be cheaper??
Oh Crap. Thanks Black N Tan for the info. No more posting from me until I know what I'm talking about.

Might make one in the States. Sodastream does sell there. Maybe try some of the US brewing sites, Morebeer and Northern Brewer come to mind.

Different threads on the SS bottles. Australia is the only country still using a standard thread. All the others use a wide-spaced thread.
So you've always gotta check which SS bottle the adaptor is meant to fit.

Back