Leland mini CO2 bulb cartridge regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ_L3ThAL

Such rapp, very bass
Reaction score
Posted a similar query in another thread, but searching doesn't come up with any actual discussions on this particular regulator. So here goes for future search convenience...

Essentially I recently purchased one of the Keg King style bulb regulators. Piece of sh*t, hasn't worked first go, sprayed leak detector on the regulator and leaks out of almost every possible place, useless.

Leland mini regulator is this one ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454460505.218414.jpg

Local source http://www.ibrew.com.au/products/mini-regulator
Manufacturers website http://www.lelandltd.com/regulating_valves_prd.htm

I am contemplating biting the bullet and going for one of these Leland regs knowing they are good (used B&T's first hand). But I stumbled across this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIGH-QUALITY-MINI-CO2-REGULATOR-HOMEBREW-FITS-PAINTBALL-CYLINDER-/271992281890?hash=item3f5400db22]http://www.ebay.com....=item3f5400db22 which doesn't specify that it is Leland nor does it have it on the gauge. I notice above there is a "Brewers Edge" logo on the gauge so wondering if it is the same body but just a third party gauge or if its a cheap knock off and I'm likely to run into trouble? Guess I'm covered by eBay nonetheless but it's the hassle of all that. I've also screwed myself being unable to use the Keg King reg for a quick keg dispense this weekend so will need to cart a 6kg bottle and reg to dispense half a keg :S........... thoughts?

Ed. speiling

Haha, the answers to all brewing related questions is BULK BUY. Currently awaiting reply from the seller as to the brand and quality. I've asked if he can ship express so I have it by the weekend, but given no response as yet looking unlikely. If it's the goods, I'd be happy to facilitate a bulk buy. I can't seem to find anything on AliExpress similar to this unfortunately, but fortunately that means this is likely to be the real deal...

Received a response, these are not the Leland branded unit, but are of the same build quality, in fact they have a newer unit claiming to be of superior internal quality with a black adjustment handle on top (I opted for this newer unit). One thing I didn't mention above is that this comes with a range of inlet and outlet adapters which bump up the price on top of the ibrew local price listed at a link above. For my case I want to use 16g bulbs as I bought 100 of them...

I have now purchased this and hope to give it a run this weekend. Will report back once I've done this and see if there is interest in a bulk buy :)

Also realised my plight should probably be referenced into the first world problems thread...

Please report back as my kegking unit was also shit from day one and never held the gas. I use 16g bulbs as well.
Cheers

Yes. Report back.
Yes. Been looking at similar options. Great to know the KK ones are crud.
Yes. Interested in a bulk buy.

Only thing is I need it to be set up for soda stream co2 bottles, as I've just purchased 2 of them; but I'm guessing that's just a matter of buying a couple of separate fittings.
(FWIW, $21 each, full. That's why I grabbed 2, before Coles instruct their staff to stop selling them at the refill prices. They're 400g of gas, btw. Ditch those silly 16g P'sOS, Deej!!)

Edit: wow. Those prices are considerably more than I was looking at. However I'd much rather pay $85 for a good reg, rather than $50 for a leaking one.

technobabble66 said:
Yes. Report back.
Yes. Been looking at similar options. Great to know the KK ones are crud.
Yes. Interested in a bulk buy.

Only thing is I need it to be set up for soda stream co2 bottles, as I've just purchased 2 of them; but I'm guessing that's just a matter of buying a couple of separate fittings.
(FWIW, $21 each, full. That's why I grabbed 2, before Coles instruct their staff to stop selling them at the refill prices. They're 400g of gas, btw. Ditch those silly 16g P'sOS, Deej!!)
Hmm, I wonder if sodastream is the equivalent of a paintball gun CGA320 pin valve connection? If so there is an adaptor included (refer photos on the ebay listing).

I got my CO2 bulbs for around $0.90 each, so they were good value considering. But your soda stream deal slightly trumps my deal by $2 total, plus convenience factor :D .... I'll use the 100 bulbs I have first me thinks. Good to know by time that happens you will have confirmed the adaptors required and I'll be good to go with sodastream. My only concern would be to hang a sodastream bottle off a disconnect, would it be too much weight for the poor o-ring seal?

technobabble66 said:
Oh, and can you organize another 9L keg BB along with the mini reg BB? Thanks.
Did you miss the one I ran yesterday???? Too bad........ :p

Yep I think the top of the SS bottle looks the same as the paintball one.
... Actually the "same" but twice the size I think. It's ~19mm diameter.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454489876.786640.jpg

I think I've seen threaded conversion pieces for SS bottles at KK or G&G.

I can't see the SS bottle hanging off the keg being a great move. My plan for the SS bottle is to attach the reg to it and use the barb connection to run a hose to the ball lock disconnect on the keg.

Another, my keg king mini reg never worked sucker here.

Watching thread.

I don't think you can buy an off the shelf adaptor for the leyland reg to soda stream bottle. As you know I have the Leland reg (bought when the dollar was at USD1.10) and I have a small type 30 CO2 bottle so thought I would get an adapter made. I got a quote from Gascon which made be choke, $105.

Mmmm I'd go for a bulk buy.

Particularly as I now have two sodastream bottles purchased for $21 each today. Would be great to be able to take a keg without a 6kg gas bottle and/or disrupting the beer fridge.

Technobabble its your fault if it doesnt work out (cant resist a bargain) ;-)

Edit - There's always the fallback option of a second full size reg

Don't want to jump the gun here but received it tonight, added some keg lube to seals for good measure and fitted it up. Leak tight first go. Dial is smooth, bit fine to adjust is by 1 PSI but easy enough to adjust 5, 10 or 15 PSI etc. That is probably my only quam but for keg dispensing purposes its a non-issue. Quite surprisingly solid and heavy piece of kit. Im impressed, leaps and bounds better than the keg krap king version.

Will use over the weekend to dispense a keg and will report back on performance, but so far so good. Some pics attached.

1454585769983.jpg

1454585786306.jpg

1454585796465.jpg

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Don't want to jump the gun here but received it tonight, added some keg lube to seals for good measure and fitted it up. Leak tight first go. Dial is smooth, bit fine to adjust is by 1 PSI but easy enough to adjust 5, 10 or 15 PSI etc. That is probably my only quam but for keg dispensing purposes its a non-issue. Quite surprisingly solid and heavy piece of kit. Im impressed, leaps and bounds better than the keg krap king version.

Will use over the weekend to dispense a keg and will report back on performance, but so far so good. Some pics attached.
That looks like something I have seen on... wait, never mind.

Looks bloody good. Been thinking of getting a portable setup, but hadn't really considered an adjustable regulator.

Question from a Keg Virgin: I have inherited a 9.5L Corny keg. I have just bought the reg. on Ebay to which this post refers. Is it possible to fully carbonate a 9.5L keg using this system and maintaining pressure with 16g cartridges, say at 20 PSI, for a week? Or are these kegs only for dispensing pre- carbonated beer?

DJ_L3ThAL said:

Can you leave these at your set pressure without pouring nothing but foam? I purchased a regulated portable set up & you need to wait until the keg loses enough pressure before adding more co2. You need to turn it on for just a few seconds then switch it off otherwise you get nothing but foam. Mine uses 16gm bulbs.

Chridech said:
Question from a Keg Virgin: I have inherited a 9.5L Corny keg. I have just bought the reg. on Ebay to which this post refers. Is it possible to fully carbonate a 9.5L keg using this system and maintaining pressure with 16g cartridges, say at 20 PSI, for a week? Or are these kegs only for dispensing pre- carbonated beer?
It's definitely possible, but it will cost quite a bit. To carbonate a 19L keg you will need 150-200 grams of CO2 typically, that's a lot of 16g bulbs!

Crusty said:
Can you leave these at your set pressure without pouring nothing but foam? I purchased a regulated portable set up & you need to wait until the keg loses enough pressure before adding more co2. You need to turn it on for just a few seconds then switch it off otherwise you get nothing but foam. Mine uses 16gm bulbs.
We did yesterday, granted was for a Cider though so did not see the effect on head. But it functioned like a normal CO2 bottle and regulator from what I could see...

Latest posts

Back