Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my first pickup from the new site the other day. Looked good (as much as I could see in the dark). Couple of points:
  • you need a more conspicuous sign to point the way to the pickup lockers. Might be OK during the day, but I struggled to find it in the dark.
  • The keypad to let you into the locker area is in shadow. I had to use my phone torch to see the keypad while I was reading the code off the screen.

No worries at all. I will talk to the web designers about this in our next meeting.

No worries at all. Has anyone tried this Pink Boopts Blend? I have not had the pleasure yet. We will have to test it out and see what it's like so we can determine if it's something we can take on. We are considering increasing the range of Cryo hops and we seem to be getting good reports from our customers so if it's good it's quite likely that you will see it added to the range.
Honestly once I'm through my current hops, I'm probably not going to make an IPA without some cryo in it ever again.

I've only just ordered some 2019 pink boots, which looked good. But not sure the 2020 is in Australia anywhere.

No worries. We are looking at some Pizza gear at the moment. I will talk to the others about this. What size were you thinking?

Small enough to fit in Roccbox / Ooni.... 150-180mm?

Roccbox model and ooni models are both 170mm diameter.

Honestly once I'm through my current hops, I'm probably not going to make an IPA without some cryo in it ever again.

I've only just ordered some 2019 pink boots, which looked good. But not sure the 2020 is in Australia anywhere.

Yes, cryo are so good, and a lot less beer loss.

For small scale bag filling, you can get a commercially made piece of plastic with a cut-out made to hold the bag neck and some stands.
1603679002463.png
1603679023626.png

Not great Pix I'm sorry but these are both commercially available but at $45-$55 respectively it wouldn't take someone very creative to come up with a home made version. Have a look at the bag holding cut-away on any milk crate if you want the sizes, looks like a hole saw and two straight cuts is all you need. That and a bit of light sanding to get rid of any sharp edges.
Someone could even get them make for resale.
Other option would be to manufacture a box with the cutaway in the top flaps, would ship flat, would take a hot fill and makes a great way to store the wort and with a bit of thought could be fermented in...

I have had to do some small bag filling ~5-10L, ended up using a very large stainless Bain Marie tray (smooth pressed stainless with no sharp edges), one of the plastic bag supports (above) and a silicone bung with a hose through it. The whole lot went on the scales and fill to weight. Remove the bung and just press on the bag until the liquid comes up to the neck of the bag to exclude any air and fit the screw cap (well mine was a push in tap but same same).

I think these are going to be an interesting and useful product, I can just remember when Coopers sold Wort in a bag and people fermented in the bag, that's early 1970's. Back in the day Mal at ESB tried doing fresh wort kits, bag in box, there were some issues with forklifts hitting them in transit but they worked well if handled carefully.
This is hardly a new idea, but I suspect the materials have improved over the years, as has the market size, probably a product whose time has come.
Mark

No worries at all. I will talk to the web designers about this in our next meeting.

sorry replied to the wrong comment on this one. The new lights should be setup before the end of the week.

The comment about talking to the web designer was regarding the updates to the in stock/out of stock status on the website. Sorry for that.

For small scale bag filling, you can get a commercially made piece of plastic with a cut-out made to hold the bag neck and some stands.
View attachment 119383View attachment 119384
Not great Pix I'm sorry but these are both commercially available but at $45-$55 respectively it wouldn't take someone very creative to come up with a home made version. Have a look at the bag holding cut-away on any milk crate if you want the sizes, looks like a hole saw and two straight cuts is all you need. That and a bit of light sanding to get rid of any sharp edges.
Someone could even get them make for resale.
Other option would be to manufacture a box with the cutaway in the top flaps, would ship flat, would take a hot fill and makes a great way to store the wort and with a bit of thought could be fermented in...

I have had to do some small bag filling ~5-10L, ended up using a very large stainless Bain Marie tray (smooth pressed stainless with no sharp edges), one of the plastic bag supports (above) and a silicone bung with a hose through it. The whole lot went on the scales and fill to weight. Remove the bung and just press on the bag until the liquid comes up to the neck of the bag to exclude any air and fit the screw cap (well mine was a push in tap but same same).

I think these are going to be an interesting and useful product, I can just remember when Coopers sold Wort in a bag and people fermented in the bag, that's early 1970's. Back in the day Mal at ESB tried doing fresh wort kits, bag in box, there were some issues with forklifts hitting them in transit but they worked well if handled carefully.
This is hardly a new idea, but I suspect the materials have improved over the years, as has the market size, probably a product whose time has come.
Mark

Thanks for that Mark. You are a wealth of knowledge. I will look into these bag filler stands. We do have a laser cutter here so we try out a few laser cut designs like this and see if we can make something work. If we cant laser cut something then we will make a wire bladder holder to hook around the neck of the bladders.

I’ve been looking at your valve/tee set up for dry hopping with the fermzilla all-rounder. I’ve always struggled with oxidation with dry hopped beers and think this would be a good way to minimise oxygen in the process. I don’t like the method of unscrewing the bottle to release pressure several times to properly purge the bottle with CO2. I think adding a second tee piece and a ring pull release such as this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/corneliu...g-lids-or-mk4-regulator-red-35psi-2-5bar.htmlwould be ideal. It would make the process simpler with less chance of reintroducing oxygen. Are there any adapters that exist to go from the second tee piece to the relief valve?

If I get one of your soda stream sized bottles to do o2 purging activities do I have to use a full blown MK3 or 4 regulator or can I get away with something a bit smaller😉

If I get one of your soda stream sized bottles to do o2 purging activities do I have to use a full blown MK3 or 4 regulator or can I get away with something a bit smaller😉

The only regulator they stock that mounts directly to a Sodastream bottle is this one. It's a great option if you can get your hands on one!

https://www.kegland.com.au/kegland-mini-regulator-sodastream-16g-bulb-compatible-the-fanginator.htmlAlternative:

Alternatively you can use one of the mini-regulators with the Type 30 bush and a Sodastream to Type 30 adapter:

https://www.kegland.com.au/mini-all-in-one-regulator-charger-with-prv.htmlhttps://www.kegland.com.au/deluxe-sodastream-cylinder-adapter-with-pin-adjustment.html
Or, as you already mentioned, you can use a Mk4 regulator with that same adapter.

I’ve been looking at your valve/tee set up for dry hopping with the fermzilla all-rounder. I’ve always struggled with oxidation with dry hopped beers and think this would be a good way to minimise oxygen in the process. I don’t like the method of unscrewing the bottle to release pressure several times to properly purge the bottle with CO2. I think adding a second tee piece and a ring pull release such as this:
https://www.kegland.com.au/corneliu...g-lids-or-mk4-regulator-red-35psi-2-5bar.htmlwould be ideal. It would make the process simpler with less chance of reintroducing oxygen. Are there any adapters that exist to go from the second tee piece to the relief valve?

Yes this is a good idea. What about we make a PCO1881 cap that can screw onto one of the PCO 1881 threads then on the other side we put the female thread for the PRV like this:

KL20176%20-%20PCO%201881%20-%20PRV.jpg

KL20176%20-%20PCO%201881%20-%20PRV%20exploded.jpg

Is something like this more or less what you are after?

The only regulator they stock that mounts directly to a Sodastream bottle is this one. It's a great option if you can get your hands on one!

https://www.kegland.com.au/kegland-mini-regulator-sodastream-16g-bulb-compatible-the-fanginator.htmlAlternative:

Alternatively you can use one of the mini-regulators with the Type 30 bush and a Sodastream to Type 30 adapter:

https://www.kegland.com.au/mini-all-in-one-regulator-charger-with-prv.htmlhttps://www.kegland.com.au/deluxe-sodastream-cylinder-adapter-with-pin-adjustment.html
Or, as you already mentioned, you can use a Mk4 regulator with that same adapter.

Yes the Core 360 regulators is really the pick of the bunch. It's definitely an awesome option that is compact and works very well with sodastream cylinders. I would definitely go with that one.

Yes this is a good idea. What about we make a PCO1881 cap that can screw onto one of the PCO 1881 threads then on the other side we put the female thread for the PRV like this:

KL20176%20-%20PCO%201881%20-%20PRV.jpg

KL20176%20-%20PCO%201881%20-%20PRV%20exploded.jpg

Is something like this more or less what you are after?
This would work!

youre a ******* genius mate

Yes the Core 360 regulators is really the pick of the bunch. It's definitely an awesome option that is compact and works very well with sodastream cylinders. I would definitely go with that one.
Is the latest batch still due to come in next week?

@KegLand-com-au
  1. Don't want to sound like a broken record, but any ETA on the RAPT Fridge?
  2. Will the RAPT fridge, in it's current design, fit your 118L kegmenters?
  3. Are the new Series X Plus fridge (with current ETA of 19 November) on schedule? Trying to factor in a pre-xmas purchase for the silly season. Also, will these fit two 58L kegmenters or just 50L kegs?
Appreciate any response.

Will the RAPT fridge, in it's current design, fit your 118L kegmenters?
I haven't seen the RAPT in person, but the 118 kegmenters have been out in the wild for a while. They are the same diameter as a 50/58, (look to be a 58 with an extra middle section and 2" TC ports added).

If the RAPT dimensions on the KL website are correct then the 118 would fit inside.

117779126_3334107013370953_1102389841074587448_o.jpg

Yay... finally got the chance to buy a 360 Core actuator, last major piece i wanted.

All barring a site snafu where they aren't actually in stock... which looks like the case because the site now says they are coming back in stock Nov 2nd. 😧

Now i wait for the email and refund. :(

@KegLand-com-au

Can you confirm that it was legit or someone pressed the wrong button? i got both order confirmation and receipt emails and you took my money, it would suck if it wasn't legit.

Last edited:
Back