Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of sock/filter do you use for cryo hops in the keg? They're pretty fine!

You might want to try a few different options. Hops is such a difficult thing to filter well.

Inevitably the issue with filtering hops is that if the filter media is too fine it will block the filter almost by definition. If you completely block the filter then you sacrifice extraction. On the other hand if you have a filter that is a bit larger in the pore size then you get particulates getting through the filter. So the perfect filter is really a comprimise of these two factors and what level of comprimise you are willing to accept defines the pefect level of filtration. Ideally some type of multi level filtration would be best but no such hop filter exist for dry hopping kegs as far as I am aware.

I really prefer using these:
https://www.kegland.com.au/hop-sock-small-grain-bag-biab-944.html

I use them once or twice then just throw them out. If you want a reusable optoin this is probably the best:
https://www.kegland.com.au/stainless-steel-hop-tube.html

We did also stock these at one stage:
https://www.kegland.com.au/new-high-grade-hop-sock-small-grain-bag-biab.html
These had a very fine mesh but the bag was not strong and it could come apart on the seam line too easily so I think the ones above are better.

What sort of bottles are you after? I have 180 maybe more waiting for a good home. Send me a private message if your interested. I like in Altona North.

No plans to offer bottles at this stage. Personally I really like canning and canning machines. The light exposure in bottles and the very small gas transmission under the crown seal lid are really what I dont like about bottles as these comprimise beer quality. If you only keep the bottle less than 6 months the oxygen ingress under the crown seal might not be an issue. With that said light exposure in glass bottles is definitely something that effects beer quality very fast. Lastly the shipping of glass bottles is a bit difficult and often results in high breakages.

We will probably have home brew starter kits that will include plastic bottles at some stage in the future but quite honestly I dont really like plastic bottles either. We will just put them in the starter kit simply because they are in inexpensive way for customers to get started and give the hobby a go without spending a fortune.

So we are reluctant to offer glass bottles at this stage. Once we release the new canning machine and new cans I would probably recommend you go in that direction instead especially if you want the best possible beer storage container for beer quality.

Yeah, the point I was making though was to release a version without any threads at all on the wort line - either with a straight tube for clamping hose to or welded tri-clamp flanges. Threaded fittings are unsanitary and should be avoided where possible in brewing, especially cold-side (the outlet of the chiller).

We dont really regard this as an issue to be honest. With the chiller we would recommend you run boiling hot wort through the chiller for at least 5 minutes before turning the cold water supply on. So this is what most customers would do toward the end of the boil and this works fine. We could make these with tri-clover but it's not something that many customers have asked for. What do you guys thing? Anyone else want these with 1.5inch tri-clover on each end?

Hi,
I have a few questions regarding your intertaps.

1. What is the max thickness for the tower material that the SS intertap short shank can be fitted to?
2. Your website says there is no stock of the SS intertap tap, do you know when this will be in stock again?

Thanks

If that is the case just send us a photo and I would say the most likely outcome will be that the unit gets replaced.

I've done that and received a prompt reply from Oliver. A replacement kegmenter is on it's way and I also have a postage label so that I can return the faulty one.

I received an email saying you will be open for online orders and sending them over the Christmas period, but does that include pick ups?

thanks for letting us know. We will look into that. At the moment we have a semi-automatic weighing machine. The machine is generally pretty good but due to variations in the process we sell the product with packing tolerance of +/- 10%. I think if we upgrade our machinery we might be able to decrease the tolerance to +/- 5% in future. Thanks for brining this to our attention though. It's an area we could improve on.

So reading this pretty much makes me absolutely not want to purchase any hops from you guys. +/-10%?? That's a lot. If I'm buying a specific amount of something and it's a crap shoot as to whether I actually get that much or not (even if there is a chance that I get over that amount instead of under), I'm out...just something for you guys to think about

Has anyone had any issues or experience with the soda stream refilling adaptor? I've just tried to use mine after watching the video on YouTube. I think the thread is wrong, it doesnt want to tightly screw onto my co2 bottle. The adapter has written on it which way around it goes so there isn't any confusion. The thread doesn't feel right, and if you hand tighten it (without a shifter) it tightens and then jumps off. Any ideas, the thread says it's W21.8-14

Has anyone had any issues or experience with the soda stream refilling adaptor? I've just tried to use mine after watching the video on YouTube. I think the thread is wrong, it doesnt want to tightly screw onto my co2 bottle. The adapter has written on it which way around it goes so there isn't any confusion. The thread doesn't feel right, and if you hand tighten it (without a shifter) it tightens and then jumps off. Any ideas, the thread says it's W21.8-14

I had exactly the same problem here. It's a faulty thread. I sent an email to Kegland and they sent a replacement to me which just arrived yesterday. I haben't had the chance to try the replacement yet. Kudos to Kegland for the prompt response. A bit more checking with a go/no go gauge at the manufacturing stage would save them a fair bit of postage expense, not to mention the hit in consumer confidence they take every time a post like this goes up.

Yes we would also agree that running out of stock all the time is pretty annoying. Most businesses like ours plan inventory on historical sales. this can be difficult for us in particular as we dont even have 1 year of sales results yet. We also have quite a lot of new products that have never even been sold before so these products in particular are very hard to predict what inventory we need to carry.

In addition to these factors we have also seen high levels of growth. You can see this graph here:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=AU&q=kegland

Obviously this graph doesn't show sales volumes but as you can imagine sales, required inventory have increased much faster than we would have expected for a company that has only just begun. So with these factors combined it has resulted in us selling out of stock more frequently than we would have liked. The only thing I can say is we are doing everything we can to increase our capacity, take on more staff, we have moved into larger warehouse and we most certainly are bringing in much more stock every month.

Its great that you care enough to respond to most posts.
Thanks for that.

The graph is irrelevant, but hope to see more stock soon.

I had exactly the same problem here
Glad it's not just me then. I only got it on Tuesday, I wonder if they're making an effort to replace units already out there?

But damn i was hoping to use it to take a sodastream bottle & mini keg to a bbq this weekend. Guess I'll be lugging the mini keg & bigger gas bottle!

DONT turn the thread on to tight. The rubber ring inside crushes and then it stops the sodastream bottle valve from opening.
Just tighten the adapter hand tight, it works.

thanks for letting us know. We will look into that. At the moment we have a semi-automatic weighing machine. The machine is generally pretty good but due to variations in the process we sell the product with packing tolerance of +/- 10%. I think if we upgrade our machinery we might be able to decrease the tolerance to +/- 5% in future. Thanks for brining this to our attention though. It's an area we could improve on.

Errmm I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell products that weigh less than the advertised amount: https://www.business.gov.au/product...t-labelling/australias-trade-measurement-laws

At the very least I would have thought some sort of reimbursement might have been in order no?

DONT turn the thread on to tight

The problem is between co2 bottle & adapter. If you don't do it up tight enough co2 comes out the threads if you do it tighter it jumps the threads and you're back to the start having co2 coming out via the threads

Errmm I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell products that weigh less than the advertised amount: https://www.business.gov.au/product...t-labelling/australias-trade-measurement-laws

At the very least I would have thought some sort of reimbursement might have been in order no?
My thoughts exactly and I found their response to the problem poor.

They should be setting their machine at 5-10% above their target weight (or a limit above what their measurement of uncertainty is) and implement random batch sampling to check the weight of packages produced.

So reading this pretty much makes me absolutely not want to purchase any hops from you guys. +/-10%?? That's a lot. If I'm buying a specific amount of something and it's a crap shoot as to whether I actually get that much or not (even if there is a chance that I get over that amount instead of under), I'm out...just something for you guys to think about

Agreed... I weigh everything that comes in, online or lbhs and have never had an issue.. Some of my recipes just happen to need 100g hops, i purchase 100g which i trust equal 100g.. Cheeky Peak, Daves, Hop & Grain, Random ebay sellers etc, no issue. 10%? I would be wanting to make that more like 1%, if that

The problem is between co2 bottle & adapter. If you don't do it up tight enough co2 comes out the threads if you do it tighter it jumps the threads and you're back to the start having co2 coming out via the threads
Could you use Teflon to help stop the leaks through the thread?

These three dot points pretty much sum it up:
What are the benefits of using approved and verified equipment?
If you use approved and verified equipment, some of the benefits for you include:
  • satisfying your customers by accurately filling orders
  • avoiding fines of up to $170,000 per offence
  • saving money by not unintentionally giving away product.

I think instead of getting fingers into too many pies moving, into the grain and hop territory, leave something for the LHBS to sell. It didn't escape my notice also that not only was the picture of the helix on your website lifted from the oppositions site, but until recently even the product description was lifted from their site, complete with grammatical errors!
When are the Helix due in by the way? :)

Hey @KegLand-com-au,

You should put a ON SALE section onto your website. Just noticed that your Kegerator packages are on an xmas sale, but there's no news of that on your facebook account or on here.

Also, my wife is an author, so if you would ever like someone to be your editor for the website (you do need one), send me a PM. Can give you a good deal.

Latest posts

Back