Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MastersBrewery said:
The font was a real PITA from the mid 80's came from a bar in Freo so was prolly about for the America's cup celebrations. There for wanted to keep it original, took a bit to sort out and almost threw some perlics at it but happy with the end result.
I went to buy that font on ebay but was waiting for the misses to give me the green light and misses out it looks good mate

whitey1984 said:
I went to buy that font on ebay but was waiting for the misses to give me the green light and misses out it looks good mate
give it a year see how it goes, the girls have a cider and my Aussie Belgium on. But it just looks too good to leave in their care. The plan is to tidy the front of the fridge and maybe copy the pic from the font and put a timber top under the font with sunken tray, when I start heading down that path I post some thing.

MastersBrewery said:
give it a year see how it goes, the girls have a cider and my Aussie Belgium on. But it just looks too good to leave in their care. The plan is to tidy the front of the fridge and maybe copy the pic from the font and put a timber top under the font with sunken tray, when I start heading down that path I post some thing.
Thats cool if you ever think of getting rid of it ill will definitely buy it off ya

I've posted my setup before but now that she's full, with the gas external and a manifold I thought she was worth sharing again. Last addition will be a 4th tap to even it all out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MCW said:
I've posted my setup before but now that she's full, with the gas external and a manifold I thought she was worth sharing again. Last addition will be a 4th tap to even it all out.
Looking very, very, nice MCW.

I'm about to embark on my own collar build and would love it if it turned out as well that. The wood is jarrah, right?

Curious as to how the collar is attached to the freezer, I'm assuming it has to be anchored down at some point. What is the silver foil material you've got (foam backed?) and where did you get it?

Hey mofox1, the wood is actually Merbau, similar to jarrah. The collar is just liquid nailed/siliconed down. Put weight on it until it sets. As for the insulation, I can't tell you. All I know is it's 10mm thick and I have two layers on, it's used in the tropics for vapour sealing in refrigeration. Then I've sealed with some refrigeration tape on the top to seal.

Know that doesn't help much but the old man is a fridgy and just had it lying around.

That insulation looks similar to "Foil Board" you can buy it in various thickness' from most hardwares. It's not cheap but you can ask if they've got any damaged sheets in the rack out back.

Clarke rubber sell it. Theirs is called Formashield. The 10mm thick one is 10 bucks a metre. Foam one side, foil the other.

Milky said:
Clarke rubber sell it. Theirs is called Formashield. The 10mm thick one is 10 bucks a metre. Foam one side, foil the other.
Is it the same stuff? MCW's pics made it look more rigid... But yeah, his substitute, and cheaper too.

I've got an issue with my Tap Setup. Wondering if anyone has heard of the same issue..
80 pka beer in ball lock kegs to 2m 5mm risers inside 1 degree fridge. Going up to an andale non flooded taipan style font to Floryte Taps. I have a blower up there.
Ok. So my initial pour of the day is explosive. For the first fraction of a second.... I get a powerful jet of air and foam shooting out of the glass and all over the room. After that... It's fine.
I'm thinking it's something to do with the gas build up in the risers. Anyone else heard if this.??

post-30668-0-45973700-1440712686.jpg

post-30668-0-79430400-1440712650.jpg

brewchampion said:
I've got an issue with my Tap Setup. Wondering if anyone has heard of the same issue..
80 pka beer in ball lock kegs to 2m 5mm risers inside 1 degree fridge. Going up to an andale non flooded taipan style font to Floryte Taps. I have a blower up there.
Ok. So my initial pour of the day is explosive. For the first fraction of a second.... I get a powerful jet of air and foam shooting out of the glass and all over the room. After that... It's fine.
I'm thinking it's something to do with the gas build up in the risers. Anyone else heard if this.??
That looks like the old Mr Squiggle problem

'Its upside down Miss Pat'

Turn the pressure down to 20kpa, you only need 5-10kpa to get beer out with a setup like that.

At 20kpa you'll eventually pour flat beers with a quickly diminishing head. Ive got the same taps & they tend to spit on that first pour if you haven't poured for a bit or on the first pour of the day. Just try 70kpa & discard that first spit to the drip tray & carry on.

Crusty said:
At 20kpa you'll eventually pour flat beers with a quickly diminishing head. Ive got the same taps & they tend to spit on that first pour if you haven't poured for a bit or on the first pour of the day. Just try 70kpa & discard that first spit to the drip tray & carry on.
Sure Crusty, 60-90Kpa I get the same problem with the Andale Floryte Taps.
Spit on the first pour, yep, thats it. Nicely put.
Discard first spit... Well, its been shooting out of the glass onto the walls. Haven't tried directly onto the drip tray. Might a post a video of that...
Any details as the bet way to discard the first spit without it going everywhere?
And anyone know why this happens with these taps?

Crusty said:
Yep. Don't like that about the Florytes. May be OK with a flooded font. I'll find out, I suppose

brewchampion said:
Discard first spit... Well, its been shooting out of the glass onto the walls. Haven't tried directly onto the drip tray. Might a post a video of that...
Any details as the best way to discard the first spit without it going everywhere?
I'm keen to find out too, if there's a way to fix this. As I mentioned above, maybe the flooded font fixes it.

I've just begun kegging and have a 3 tap kegerator set up on my back deck. At the moment it only has one keg in it, which I'm trying my hardest (so far pretty successfully) to leave alone while I finish drinking a previous bottled batch. Have poured a few just to make sure it's all working ok, which it is. Now I'm in a constant brew/ferment cycle in order to fill the rest of the kegs. I have 4 kegs total at the moment but I'll pick up another 2 or 3 on my next visit to CB.

I'm also waiting on a font fan to install into it to keep as much of it cold as I can on the journey to the glass.

This is the whole thing

11951809_10207931241627497_527226528316474981_n.jpg

And a closer look at the font/taps

11905757_10207931255267838_3433379087343972811_n.jpg

driftdaddy said:
Just finished my outdoor area.
Hi Drift,
nice setup,
what kind of fridge have you used to keep your kegs in? is it under the tap?
I'm potentially considering something similar, but not sure how I'd go with fitting a fridge under the counter.

cheers
Al

brewchampion said:
Any details as the bet way to discard the first spit without it going everywhere?
Mate, if it's shooting that hard into your glass & spraying onto the walls, there's something else wrong & it ain't the taps.
When I say spit, it's just that. Kind of like opening a soft drink bottle & it does tend to foam up a lot in the glass & if you continue to pour, you'll get a glass with too much head. I've often seen bar staff discard the first initial spit from these taps & it's just how they are. When you pour pretty frequently though, it doesn't happen.
When the tap is not being used for a while like in a home kegging situation, the back pressure will build up & for a trial to see if it fixes the issue, pour a beer & then disconnect your beer line from the keg, hook it back up after an hour or more & see what happens.
60kpa shouldn't get beer splattering all over the walls unless your keg is highly over carbonated & your using 1m of beer line.

Latest posts

Back