Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon guys, get back on topic, wouldn't want a crazy re-AXE-ion from the mods and be booted off site.

People will usually treat you well if you axe them nicely...

americanpsycho1.jpg

shaunous said:
C'mon guys, get back on topic, wouldn't want a crazy re-AXE-ion from the mods and be booted off site.
I agree. Its time to bury the hatchet on this topic.

I wood hope moderators come in and hack these bad pun posts away, reading them is axecruciating

I have a question that i might have axed before. Im trying to figure out how to use air compressor regulator in a keg setup. Like this one

It looks like they can take the 1/4" ball vavles used on manifolds and they are dirt cheap compared to other options. I have seen them used on older posts in this thread but maybe they are a PITA which is why you dont see them anymore.

My plan is to maybe run 2 off my 4way manifold to run some low pressure stout/ale taps. I have 5 pomy pub Celli taps. 2 of them that i havnt used yet have thread on the end that will take a sparkler fitting from Grain and Grape (if they still stock them). So im hoping this will be a low cost solution.

Just wondering if anyone has used them before or knows much about them

Haven't used one before in this application, but it seems feasible. Pressure in, lower pressure out, 1/4" fittings. Only problem I could see is how fine an adjustment you could get from it and how accurate it would be, but you cannot get a pressure higher than input pressure so you're safe.

nosco said:
I have a question that i might have axed before. Im trying to figure out how to use air compressor regulator in a keg setup. Like this one

It looks like they can take the 1/4" ball vavles used on manifolds and they are dirt cheap compared to other options. I have seen them used on older posts in this thread but maybe they are a PITA which is why you dont see them anymore.

My plan is to maybe run 2 off my 4way manifold to run some low pressure stout/ale taps. I have 5 pomy pub Celli taps. 2 of them that i havnt used yet have thread on the end that will take a sparkler fitting from Grain and Grape (if they still stock them). So im hoping this will be a low cost solution.

Just wondering if anyone has used them before or knows much about them
The one you have linked looked familiar, so I had a read, the particular unit linked is a pressure relief valve, very very good for spunding a pressurise fermenter. not so good for what you had in mind though I did see several of the AR 2000 listed as regulators but they were rated too high at their lowest limit and the gauge not accurate enough at very low pressure such as we use for kegging. I had a bit of peruse of ebay and didn't find much in the way of useful air regs... same story as above.

Probably get chewed up inside from the CO2 over time. Even CO2 regulators have pit corrosion on the body inside after some use. Would be safer bet getting one that is designed with materials suitable for CO2.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Probably get chewed up inside from the CO2 over time. Even CO2 regulators have pit corrosion on the body inside after some use. Would be safer bet getting one that is designed with materials suitable for CO2.
Maybe why you dont see them used any more. I wasnt aware that co2 was was corrosive.

I can get a T joint to split to 2 regs for not too much but i thought this way would be neater and cheaper.

Yep, it's nasty over time. If you get moisture in there it will form carbonic acid which accelerates the corrosion ten fold!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
You can if your upstream regulator fails open.
But, if even if it fails open you won't get a higher pressure out of your downstream reg than your upstream rego is putting into it, failed or not. It can't make more pressure than its given.

The air regulators used by some in the past seemed to have reasonably finite control (easy to set to pressures we use; <= 5mm between 0 and 100kpa on the gauge is nearly useless), the ar2000 linked had a working pressure quote by another ebay seller as 15-160psi working pressure. I don't know anyone who runs a keg above 10or 12psi. Buy right buy once secondary regs are available they cost more per reg but you know they'll do the job.

Hpal said:
But, if even if it fails open you won't get a higher pressure out of your downstream reg than your upstream rego is putting into it, failed or not. It can't make more pressure than its given.
If your upstream regulator failed open, you would have full CO2 cylinder pressure of about 52 bar (750PSI) into your secondary regulator, which has a max inlet pressure of about 12 bar (from memory of the eBay specs). So it would explode.

Latest posts

Back