Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my new set up, pretty happy so far.

Will finish the insulation during the week.

Can just squeeze 5 kegs in.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430636888.025294.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1430636910.554357.jpg

NT.Thunder said:
HI All - Just in the midst of building a keezer. Picked up a cheap second hand freezer so spent spent some money on 3 Perlick 650SS taps.

Only issue I'd like some help on is the length and diameter of gas/beer lines. Gas I guess doesn't matter but I just want to make sure I get close for the beer lines.

I ordered 10m of 6mm and 4mm line as I was under the impression that beer line is 4mm and gas 6mm but the homebrew shop has these labeled the other way. Thoughts on this??? I was looking at 3m length beer line to the taps of 4mm.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?
from memory the 650 SS have flow control so beer line length is not an issue

Thanks for that, my main issue I guess is if I should be using the 4mm or 6mm as beer line?

Beer line is usually 5mm, going either won't matter as long as you balance accordingly

I use 4mm for beer line dude.
Not a keezer, in a keg fridge. But 2m of 4mm goes pretty well, doesn't get a fast pour, but good head and doesn't froth over. On perlicks, no flow control.
Others may differ however.

Cheers

This is my keezer that I have been putting together over the last few weeks. Nothing out of the ordinary just copied what has been done before.

Easily fits 5 kegs & gas bottle. Could squeeze in 6 and have co2 on the outside if I wanted.

Collar 45x190mm pine stained and 4 coats of marine varnish. Wanted to have mitred joins but a couple test reminded me that Im no carpenter and just went with butt joints & steel brackets.

Mounted the collar using two layers of good quality foam double sided tape. Has sealed nicely and is not moving anwhere.

Inside I used some cloth tape to add extra seal between the collar and freezer (hidden). Kmart camp mat inside collar for some extra insulation.

Still need 2 more taps, co2 manifold & waiting on stc1000 to come in the mail so I can get it cranked up.

Now just need to fill the kegs

1431071358233.jpg

1431071415246.jpg

1431071450852.jpg

Most of you remember my keezer build with the inbuilt bench.
Well, I gave it a facelift for the wedding.

Bymyown2hands said:
http://kegking.com.au/co2-cylinders/in-line-regulator.html

Cheap enough to satisfy the tight-arse in me but concerned they might just be a bit of junk. I was thinking of using a couple of them as secondary regulators for my keezer.

Thoughts?
I learnt a few years back after gas leaks, excessive foaming in beer and breaking down and rebuilding my beer and gas lines and buying different taps trying to resolve the problems.

Don't skimp on your gas and beer plumbing, and taps. They are a one off purchase so just buy once and save yourself a world of hurt.

Sounds like very good advice.
I would like some secondary regulators though, does anyone know of some good quality units at a reasonable price?

What size freezers do you guys have that can squeeze 5 kegs in looking at building myself a keezer cheers

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Following this as I'm going to do a coffin keezer build and most of the info I've got is from the yanks with their cu/ft carry on. Not got freezer yet.

Photos of spacing/space would also help as I'd like to put bottles in too.

michaeld16 said:
What size freezers do you guys have that can squeeze 5 kegs in looking at building myself a keezer cheers
I got a GVA 200L from good guys not long ago for just under $300. Fits 4 kegs on the floor (pretty tight squeeze) and 1 keg + 2.6kg gas bottle on the hump.

tj2204 said:
I got a GVA 200L from good guys not long ago for just under $300. Fits 4 kegs on the floor (pretty tight squeeze) and 1 keg + 2.6kg gas bottle on the hump.
Yeah mate, I've seen this type of set up and it would be a bit tight for my liking. No room for bottles. I have 4 kegs and would ideally like gas inside. I'm thinking between 300-400 would be the go.

I have a 420L which fits about 9 cornies on the floor with another 2 on the hump (or in my case a milk crate or two of bottles)

michaeld16 said:
I've got a F&P 276L. It can squeeze 5 on the floor with another 2 on the hump with a collar and if the gas is outside. For 4 kegs and a gas bottle, and room for expansion you probably wouldn't need to go much over 300L.

earle said:
I've got a F&P 276L. It can squeeze 5 on the floor with another 2 on the hump with a collar and if the gas is outside. For 4 kegs and a gas bottle, and room for expansion you probably wouldn't need to go much over 300L.
Yeah, cheers guys. I'd probably only go 1 more (I think 5 taps is more aesthetically pleasing than 4, lol) so looks like 300 is the go. I've got my eye on a 300 too.

I used Keg King's 8mm external / 5mm internal for gas and beer lines. It is a bit of a bugger to fit, but soak the lines in boiling water first and use somethign to slowly expand the interior dimensions a little (long, thin nosed pliers work but check they're clean 1st) and it'll fit. If you have Perlick 650s, as they're flow control taps you dont really need excess line to connect the taps, just enought to make connecting and disconnecting to the kegs painless. Adjust the taps to control the flow rate

Latest posts

Back