Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too true Tahoose, I've been able to help him out with a few things over the years. He'll drink beer, but I think he loves his cider so I may throw one of those together at some stage

Tahoose said:
That's what we have mates for isn't it? We give and we get, does he drink beer? I'm sure he'll be happy enough to pour a beer or 7. Be careful though red does go faster.
I've got a mate who has helped me out several times and he doesn't even drink beer. He did try a hop hog the other day and enjoyed, I think he might be a bigger beer snob than me and just not realise it yet.

In return though, I'd do just about anything to help him out!

Cronessa said:
Too true Tahoose, I've been able to help him out with a few things over the years. He'll drink beer, but I think he loves his cider so I may throw one of those together at some stage
Seeing as your kegging now ciders are much more friendlier in kegs than bottles. I just blew my first cider keg tonight which seemed like it was never going to end :p .

It was only a 9ltr keg but was basically 8ltrs of 7-8% cider then I diluted it with un-fermented juice and some sugar syrup. came out semi-sweet and when I had my mates over to give the keezer a run in, it was the favourite of the night. Even my missus liked it.

Mine was basically juice,sugar, lemon juice, a few tea bags in 200mls of water and back sweeten at kegging time, fermented with Notto.

Beer on tap is the bomb though!!

I just keep a spray bottle of start san and give it a squirt up the spout when I think I'm not going to have any more for a few hours or more.

Heard either JZ or John Palmer say they do it on a BN podcast.

StalkingWilbur said:
I just keep a spray bottle of start san and give it a squirt up the spout when I think I'm not going to have any more for a few hours or more.
I do similar. In fact I keep several spray bottles of Starsan around the brewery and the house. I'm saving a fortune on TP.

StalkingWilbur said:

Heard either JZ or John Palmer say they do it on a BN podcast.
Thanks for that, can't really believe I didn't think of it honestly.. especially with the spray bottle sitting next to the kegs >.<

So just spray up the tap when you are done drinking? Anything else you do maintenance wise for the taps?

Tahoose said:
Seeing as your kegging now ciders are much more friendlier in kegs than bottles. I just blew my first cider keg tonight which seemed like it was never going to end :p
Awesome! I guess it's the low temp that's stops the unfermented juice and sugar from fermenting out

Wilkensone said:
Thanks for that, can't really believe I didn't think of it honestly.. especially with the spray bottle sitting next to the kegs >.<

So just spray up the tap when you are done drinking? Anything else you do maintenance wise for the taps?
I spray the taps with water after I our a round, I really don't like the idea of beer sitting in the taps for even the 30-45 minutes between pours.

I'm not saying it won't ferment at some stage. But my cider was still semi sweet last night when I had the last couple of glasses.

I needed to finish it so I could get my faux lager in the keg and on the co2. Getting it carbonated for a party.

I was a concentrated effort to finish the keg. :p

Donske said:
I spray the taps with water after I our a round, I really don't like the idea of beer sitting in the taps for even the 30-45 minutes between pours.
You need to step it up and drink faster... :beer:

I also do the starsan spray after a session, between pours is probably a good idea, but when I'm having a session it's the last thing on my mind. Quiet commercial pubs don't rinse their taps and there may be an hour or more between pours on some taps in that instance.

I also don't like the idea of pluging the taps up when wet with anything, best to let the air dry the sanitized taps after a session.

Bridges said:
23f69cb4-90ca-49fe-a3ed-de94ef4c8efb_thumb.jpeg

Yep chainsaws are awesome.
Chainsaw?

Where?

Cronessa said:
Finally got the kegerator set up after many years of bottling.

attachicon.gif
photo1.jpg

attachicon.gif
photo2.jpg

I mounted the tap off centre as I plan to put in a second one eventually, I've measured the fridge and it should fit two cornys if I put the CO2 outside the fridge or mount it in the door.

Thanks goes to my mate, a professional painter and decorator, who gave up his Sunday to spray it for me. I think he got a kick out of the novelty of it all.
get your mate to spray the freezer lid with blackboard paint so you can
Label up the taps.

Cronessa said:
good excuse for the second tap.

Been looking at everyone elses setup so I'd thought I would share mine. Got sick off 2 taps recently (not enough choices) so I put on 4 taps to give me so variety LOL.
20131203_090145.jpg
20140508_155029.jpg
20140508_154928.jpg
20140508_150056.jpg
20140508_150006.jpg

Freezer.jpg

artistic mock up of my 500 litre eBay freezer. Before (artsy angle shot) and after pics (thanks to PaintShop Pro)

Nice Beer_1.jpg

Note: there will be a drip tray and the cow skull is optional for the wall behind the freezer.

Hi Lez, I can make those decals for ya if you need them

You in Melbourne?

breakbeer said:
Hi Lez, I can make those decals for ya if you need them

You in Melbourne?
Unfortunately, no.
Fortunately for me though, Newcastle works for me.

The freezer already has "ICE" on it, as that was it's previous life before it was eBay'd. I added the "N" via imaging magic. What can you offer me? Maybe pm me?

edit: I was inspired by the Cheech & Chong movie - Nice Dreams (where they changed the logo on the side of an Ice Cream truck

Back