Kegging Setups

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep it will be fine, its just gaseous co2 so it will find its way out, enjoy!

Personally I wouldn't do it as you may get liquid CO2 in your regulator. CO2 is very similar to LPG, they are stored as a liquid under pressure (co2 is under ALLOT more pressure though). when you pickup a BBQ bottle you can feel it sloshing around it inside the co2 dose the same, this is also why you don't see the HP side drop until your are almost out of gas.

Anyway long story short I don't know what liquid CO2 dose to your diaphragm of your regulator but I wouldn't want to find out.

CO2 aint liquid mate, not in these bottles. If it was they would need to be vaccum insulated vessels and have a pressure raising circuit to maintain a headspace pressure to drive it out. These co2 bottles are gaseous at high pressure only, not the same as LPG.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
CO2 aint liquid mate, not in these bottles. If it was they would need to be vaccum insulated vessels and have a pressure raising circuit to maintain a headspace pressure to drive it out. These co2 bottles are gaseous at high pressure only, not the same as LPG.
Mate I'd be checking up on your physics, in short this video shows you what the inside of all your CO2 tanks looks like: A close look at supercritical carbon dioxide CO2: http://youtu.be/-gCTKteN5Y4

In long when you compress co2 to super high pressures it turns to a liquid. Pick you cylinder up and shake it. You will feel it slosh around.
At room temperatures the pressure must remain above 60.2PSI. And is typically delivered at 300PSI.

Once you heat it above 31DegC it becomes a gas. But I can safely say is his esky it will be below 31DegC...

http://www.co2info.com/co2.html
http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/encyclopedia.asp?LanguageID=11&CountryID=19&Formula=&GasID=26&UNNumber=&EquivGasID=26&PressionBox=26&btnPression=Calculate&VolLiquideBox=&MasseLiquideBox=&VolGasBox=&MasseGasBox=&RD20=29&RD9=8&RD6=64&RD4=2&RD3=22&RD8=27&RD2=20&RD18=41&RD7=18&RD13=71&RD16=35&RD12=31&RD19=34&RD24=62&RD25=77&RD26=78&RD28=81&RD29=82#LiquidGasConversion

My CO2 cylinder sits at around 60bar/ 6,000kpa or 870PSI.
The last cylinder I bought is tested to 22 MKpa with a pressure release at 20 MKpa.

All these pressure are above the room temp liquid point.

Yep you're right it would be condensed to a liquid at room temp at bottle pressure. Its not supercritical though that would require megapascals of pressure.

You could probably tilt the bottle at least 45 degrees and avoid liquid withdrawal as there would be a headspace of gas and there is no dip tube inside the cylinders?

My guess is you would be correct, t should be fine. There are people who use fire extinguishers without inverting them with no issues.
But then again I wouldn't want to find out if the diaphragm+valve froze open and 800PSI of co2 come spurting out.

Hey fellas. Thanks for the heads up.
I spoke to a bloke at Supagas, he told me that lying down is not recommended.
I am going with that advice.
Looks like some mods for the esky lid !
Thanks again boys.

CF

Done.
Just need to mod the lid.
Easy as cutting and adding the top of a small esky. The flip lid of the small one will allow me to open and fiddle with the gas if necessary.
That will really only need to be done by the warmer weather.
For now I will just cut the lid so the reg can stick out.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406528035.502450.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406528092.702986.jpg

CF

CrookedFingers said:
Done.
Just need to mod the lid.
Easy as cutting and adding the top of a small esky. The flip lid of the small one will allow me to open and fiddle with the gas if necessary.
That will really only need to be done by the warmer weather.
For now I will just cut the lid so the reg can stick out.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406528035.502450.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406528092.702986.jpg

CF
Why have the C02 bottle in the esky? It maybe just me but it seems a bit silly and your going to stuff your regulator.

Batz

The reason is that it is all in one , no bits hanging off anywhere.
How will it affect the reg. ?

Plan is to tile the top and pretty it up a bit when the warranty runs out on the freezer. As it is I can return to stock pretty quickly. My artistic skills are not the best, hence the dodgy chalk job.

Hooked up a reed switch to the light strip and a pc fan so when the lid closes the fan comes on and when it opens the lights come on.

1005837_10151887679483526_210423158_n.jpg

IMG_20140315_174038.jpg

IMG_20140727_091312.jpg

fn A class.
how's that 6 way splitter working out for you?
You don't need to adjust serving pressure on all the kegs? They all poor relatively the same?

Cheers man,I'm pretty useless with my hands but really took the time on the woodwork and stoked with how it came out.

6 way splitter is great but I do need to get some check valves. Not such a big deal at 10-12 psi but when I'm gassing up and hook up a keg at 30 psi some liquid is pulled out of other kegs.

I have a second reg that I run at 30 with a 2 way splitter... One side sits on a spirits mixer keg and the other side for carbing.

The 6 all pour well, I have 3m lines so sit it at about 12 @ 4 degrees. Works a treat

Cocko said:
Strap in mate, get ready for your head voice to justify one more beer... not for you, "It is not for me.. its just so I can use the taps..."

Nice work BTW!
cheers, I have already walked that path, my old fridge died last week, I managed to convince SWMBO we needed to upgrade the house fridge.

You might have noticed the taps aren't centered on the door, I might have noticed the new fridge can potentially take 4 kegs..

Rob.P said:
cheers, I have already walked that path, my old fridge died last week, I managed to convince SWMBO we needed to upgrade the house fridge.

You might have noticed the taps aren't centered on the door, I might have noticed the new fridge can potentially take 4 kegs..
Five. It will take 5. It f*****g will take 5...

6 if you build a collar, 8 if it's a big collar. No reason why a collar should be horizontal...

Back