Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone with the 5 star element with the guard post a pic of inside it? I'd like to see how the earthing is connected. Thanks.

Mine's all secured into my pot so I don't really want to take it to bits, but it's basically like a little lug or screw that you screw down on the inside.. I showed an electrician and he said it was good.

I'm really happy with both the elements and guards. They were easy to assemble and even an idiot like me can do it. They look great, and the boil from the elements is incredible. They are light years better than the Keg King ones and would buy them again if I needed more.

A quick video of my boil. I am very happy! 2 x 5 Star weldless elements with their fancy element covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t6Qs8dFf1M

Craftbrewer have the 'new' KK elements in stock.
Looks just like the last version but with a molded rubber seal over the cable outlet.

Have replaced it with the last KK one of mine that blew up.
Will be testing the 'new' version tomorrow (fingers crossed).

I'd say they're actually sealing them now, instead of just covering them
My opinion is that they've never actually been sealed properly, atomospheric moisture has been ingressing and you get a short/earth leakage

Every new model they claim to have fixed it and every new model does the blue flame trick. I'm staying away no matter what they say now!

Cripes, brewing this w/e with mine and it will be the sixth time I've used it. I noted last time I brewed that the electrical cord as it exited the "seal" of the element looked soft and dodgy........

Might be time to upgrade to a different element.... is anyone using this Craftbrewer one?

fraser_john said:
Cripes, brewing this w/e with mine and it will be the sixth time I've used it. I noted last time I brewed that the electrical cord as it exited the "seal" of the element looked soft and dodgy........

Might be time to upgrade to a different element.... is anyone using this Craftbrewer one?
I use one in another hobby and never had a drama with it. I'm not sure if the heat density would make it a bit hot for the lower mash temps.

QldKev said:
I use one in another hobby and never had a drama with it. I'm not sure if the heat density would make it a bit hot for the lower mash temps.
Thanks, it will just be in the kettle, so could be a better choice than the KK ones. Wish I had of seen this thread before buying it.....

Just an update on my Keg Krap elements.

So the story goes
I'm not sure about true versions of these elements because we have been told many times about "the new version which fixes the issues"
We all know the initial version of the elements failed (initial ones had no cable sticking out)...
Keg King promised they had fixed the issues in their next version. I purchased 2 elements for my HLT.
One failed pretty early on with the "blue flame and ball of smoke", I got a replacement.
The replacement rusted; hence the start of this thread. At my expense I cleaned up the rust from the tooling. The element got put into use.
So I had 2 of these elements running on my HLT.

Another version was released which again "the new version which fixes the issues"
I, like a sucker, purchased 2 more for another project.
Both failed (at different times) with the "blue flame and ball of smoke"
After such a hassle with the last effort for a claim I did not claim these.

Back to the HLT, this morning I had my HLT on a timer. my bedroom is on the other side of the wall from the carport where I brew. I woke to another bang.
Although it is most likely still within the 3 year warrenty period, I don't think I will worry about a claim.
So out of 4 elements I have paid for, (5 used including the initial replacement) only 1 is left. Time to find new elements for the HLT.

I guess the main reason for this update I have posted is for anyone who is using these and says "it's been in use for a while, it will be ok" please don't become complacent with these elements.

Thanks for the update QldKev, I have had mine for a while and I have thought it must be ok........so, not being complacent, I am waiting on the 5stardistilling ones to come back in stock.....

I have a fivestar element and its never let me down. They didnt have weldless at the time I ordered so I brought their threaded element and silver soldered a socket to the side of my boiler. Then used a die cast box to cover the wiring.

Everytime I see a new post in this thread I touch wood. I've been extremely lucky so far but really should invest in a backup for the inevitable.
Pretty sure I read the fivestar weldless will fit the same hole, yeah?

Camo6 said:
Everytime I see a new post in this thread I touch wood. I've been extremely lucky so far but really should invest in a backup for the inevitable.
Pretty sure I read the fivestar weldless will fit the same hole, yeah?
Yep, they designed them as a replacement for faulty KK elements :lol:

I've gone through all four of my keg king elements that I bought in the last year. Never again.

Sure you can't beat the keg king stuff for price, but I've had problems with just about every bit of keg king gear I have bought (not just the elements).

Can't wait for my new 5 star elements to turn up.

Had to go old school and use gas for my last couple of brews.

Glad I had my over the side element this morning, it allowed me to continue.

Keg King stuff works out pretty expensive when it keeps failing. Personally I'm never buying anything from them again.

The 5star ones are great, I have a couple in a boiler and have never let me down. I'm debating in this case where ever or not to use them, I need to run the elements via extension cords and the plugs get quite hot running them. So I'm trying to get all my elements back to around 2,000w to allow a buffer. Although normally in a HLT any element heat density is ok, I'm trying to get low / ultra low density ones as I use the HLT for other duties. No one does an ultra low / low density 2,000w element that I can find.

QldKev said:
I'm debating in this case where ever or not to use them, I need to run the elements via extension cords and the plugs get quite hot running them. So I'm trying to get all my elements back to around 2,000w to allow a buffer. Although normally in a HLT any element heat density is ok, I'm trying to get low / ultra low density ones as I use the HLT for other duties. No one does an ultra low / low density 2,000w element that I can find.
Know where your coming from there Kev, I got around this by using the extra heavy duty leads from the big green shed, they run 1.5 or 1.6 wire. I use these on my Brauclone, one runs the controller, pump and 2400w element, and the other just another 2400w element, neither have heated in the slightest.

Mike

MastersBrewery said:
Know where your coming from there Kev, I got around this by using the extra heavy duty leads from the big green shed, they run 1.5 or 1.6 wire. I use these on my Brauclone, one runs the controller, pump and 2400w element, and the other just another 2400w element, neither have heated in the slightest.

Mike
I'm already using the trades 1.5mm wire extension cords, the cord stays cool, the main issue I'm finding is the 10amp plugs. I'll get a pic later to show you what I mean. I'm thinking of cutting the plug off it and using a 15amp plug, then I can change the element to suit and hopefully keep the plug cooler.

Latest posts

Back