Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My keg king element blew a blue flame out the side of my pot on Sunday after about 4 boil ups with it over about 6months, mainly just for cleaning things.
While I was happy with the unit,fit and boil time. It was my only keg king product purchase ever and I will never purchase another product from them again. Dead set rediculous and dangerous. I was about 1foot away from the 1-2foot blue flame/spark that sounded like a small fire cracker, scared the shit outta me.

I was out of the room when mine blew, but that's exactly how I would describe it. Sounded just like a firecracker.

Going to order a couple of the five star tomorrow, and all going well will get another for an hlt in the future. I like the idea of stainless steel as it seems easier to clean. Plus its got the going factor!

When it says the 5 Start Weldless 2400 watt elements are ready to be wired by the electrician, is this just a simple job of attaching getting a cable and plug attached or is it more complicated than that?

I have 3 phase 9KW in my 100L system and wort jumps out of the kettle, I now have a controller to dial back the Kw and it can maintain the boil nicely.
Nev

Hairy Goat said:
When it says the 5 Start Weldless 2400 watt elements are ready to be wired by the electrician, is this just a simple job of attaching getting a cable and plug attached or is it more complicated than that?
i would say YES but also consider how you earth it as they only have two wires on the element with no earth

As per the bloke that owns 5 Star, you need to earth the element to your pot/keggle and then back through the lead
He either sells an element enclosure that you can earth through, or he says you can use 2 x 2" copper end caps pop riveted to a small section of 2" copper pipe as the enclosure (hole in one endcap for the element, and a hole in the other endcap for a cable gland to put your cable thru), then connect your earth to the enclosure, then to the pot/keggle

Wish I could just buy one already to go and just plug her in,feel safe and off I go. Shit how ya gotta get em wired up.
I've got 2 x2400 16amp elements that I was gunna wire up my self. But a bit scared to after my keg king one blew up.
To scared to ring a leco as my wallet is thin lol.

I had my KK element fail yesterday, it has done 13 batches so around 25 hours use since November. Turned it on and it arced and tripped the breaker.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405230048.048688.jpg

Plastic coated wire, next to and attached with a conductor to a heating element. What could go wrong?

I ordered a couple of the weldless elements with the housing/guard from 5 Star... the only problem now is how do the housings get assembled! There'[s no instructions and I'm a gumby when it comes to this sort of thing!

Is the element housing in the 5 star elements earthed or is a separate earth needed for the kettle?

My KK element hasn't died yet but one of my kids was touching my kettle on the weekend while it was on, little ******* opened up the shed door without me knowing, which made me realise that I can't **** around with it any more, need better processes across the board. Top of the list is binning the KK element. Also a lock on the door if I'm leaving it unattended.

pedleyr said:
Is the element housing in the 5 star elements earthed or is a separate earth needed for the kettle?

My KK element hasn't died yet but one of my kids was touching my kettle on the weekend while it was on, little ******* opened up the shed door without me knowing, which made me realise that I can't **** around with it any more, need better processes across the board. Top of the list is binning the KK element. Also a lock on the door if I'm leaving it unattended.
I've got the weldless element and guard kits, it has an earth point on the guard. I'm not sure on the other ones.

Got my new 5 Star Elements in and going. They are fantastic, although I've only done a wet test and haven't done and actual brew yet. They seem to be a quality piece of equipment - I got them wired professionally and the electrician said they were good. I love the element guards, they were easy to assemble, I could have wired them myself, and they just slot in where the keg king ones were. Here's a short video of when I first fired them up.

http://youtu.be/hl7tVSU5mIs

They certainly beat the pants of the Keg King ones, you can feel the extra heat, the boil is ferocious and the time to boil is considerably better.

I've got a 70 litre pot and will be doing double batches. The 2 x Keg King handled it easily so the extra power will be a bonus.

Kingy said:
My keg king element blew a blue flame out the side of my pot on Sunday after about 4 boil ups with it over about 6months, mainly just for cleaning things.
While I was happy with the unit,fit and boil time. It was my only keg king product purchase ever and I will never purchase another product from them again. Dead set rediculous and dangerous. I was about 1foot away from the 1-2foot blue flame/spark that sounded like a small fire cracker, scared the shit outta me.
Wow this just happened to me too. I have only used mine to hold temps in the HLT, never past 78deg, for a handful of brews.
Lucky I was wearing the brown undies and the element was behind the vessel and not facing me when it blew!
I don't think I will be replacing it with another KK one.

When I went in there last week they were going through another design phase. This must be like the third time... Im not sure they have them in stock now or not though

just a though has anyone reported them to fair trading for supplying a known faulty product which more than likely doesnt meet the standards and more than likely will injure someone at some stage.

Back