Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've been upgrading to "3 phase style" 30 amp screw in plugs for 15amp and heavy duty wiring over the last year.

my BIL is a sparky so i only have to buy the gear (mostly 2nd hand)

but there are no hot plug issues any more on long brew days using 2400 or 3600W

$_20.JPG

Maheel, some would say that's a lil over kill, but at least you know your going to get your full 15amps to your element.(and with out risk)

I'm running two in a biab keggle, bought them from ebay second hand while they were currently out of stock at keg king.

They still work, touch wood.

One had a black + dymo label on it and the other a boil label. Wonder if they ever belonged to someone on here?

They only need to burn down your house and kill your family once for you to hate them. But I hope it never happens to find out.

My keg king is only hitting 95c on boil .. Not happy jan..

Only 20l by the way

But is it boiling? If so, job done. Wort doesn't necessarily boil at 100°C and things like altitude will affect boiling temp.

I was boiling water last night to calculate my boil off.

For my altitude it should be around 97.2 c boiling point.

Maybe the 2c difference ain't that bad. I was getting 4l boil off per hour. False alarm???

It'll also depend on the accuracy of your thermometer.

Posted taken from over here

dropbear85 said:
Hey Guys,

Just a heads up for people who are looking for 2000w elements to stay under 10A. I ordered a couple of these on ebay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251336523089

1” BSP fitting so they should screw straight into my 5star element guards which got delivered last week (damn they are a good quality guard!!), or you could rig up your own guard pretty cheap like a few other guys have done.

I can’t vouch for the quality of the elements yet because I haven’t received them but at $20 each with free post they’re cheap enough to give a go.
Great find!

Stainless 304 heating pipes
Works out to be a decent length with the fold back section means we can fit it in tighter pots.

Just purchased 3 of them, will see how they go.

Got the elements discussed here, from ebay. So far so good. Tested them for resistance in the element all pretty good. Threw one in the pot for a quick test with no dramas. I will report back in a few months when I get a brew day with them.

The nut from the Keg King element will not fit the 1" BSP of the element, but luckily I had a 1" BSP nut on hand.

element_zpseznriv0q.jpg

fraser_john said:
For those that were waiting on 5stardistilling to get their 2400w weldless elements & guards back in stock, it appears they now have! Just ordered one to replace the Keg King ....

http://www.5stardistilling.net/weldless-2400w-element-guard/
Picked my element from 5stardistilling up at the PO Box tonight, talk about a lovely bit of kit. Those blokes sure know how to put together a pretty piece of bling! The guard is laser etched with their brand, classy. Pulling the KK element out as we speak and replacing it for my next brew, cannot wait to give the new one a spin.

fraser_john said:
Picked my element from 5stardistilling up at the PO Box tonight, talk about a lovely bit of kit. Those blokes sure know how to put together a pretty piece of bling! The guard is laser etched with their brand, classy. Pulling the KK element out as we speak and replacing it for my next brew, cannot wait to give the new one a spin.
Quoting myself, love it...

Did a test run of water only, perfect. After dumping water out, rough towel dry and sitting for a few days, where the element joins the mount and the mount itself inside the pot has started to rust.

Anyone installing one of these should probably give it a bit of scour with some stainless steel scrubby and pickle (or spray with starsan, citric acid or whatever) and let it sit for a few days.

I am brewing tomorrow, so might pull it out after that, clean it up and pickle it.

There is what I believe an EVEN newer KK element design with all silicone insulation, longer cold section on the element etc. you tube video below explains it.

http://youtu.be/hSLVNKNlI7Q

Anyone tried these?

Also 5star seem to be out of stock again?

I've purchased 5 Keg King elements so far, with all the promises of the "fixed in this version" and only have 1 left running. I can't afford to buy more shit from them.

What makes me laugh is that dude recommending the new model removes one with obvious melting points, but the stainless is also rusting! Maybe the new silicone sheath may resolve the heat issue (lol), but why is the stainless rusting. Is this guy getting paid sponsorship for purchases via his link to it?

i watched it and it was more like an infomercial.

still not certified ether.

Latest posts

Back