Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QldKev said:
I've purchased 5 Keg King elements so far, with all the promises of the "fixed in this version" and only have 1 left running. I can't afford to buy more shit from them.

What makes me laugh is that dude recommending the new model removes one with obvious melting points, but the stainless is also rusting! Maybe the new silicone sheath may resolve the heat issue (lol), but why is the stainless rusting. Is this guy getting paid sponsorship for purchases via his link to it?
I've read the thread, hence why doing my research now as I have 4x in a recently purchased rig. Have you had the most current version? Sure there is history and issues, but the features that appear to have been added in this current version seem logical and what one can assume addresses the overheating/insulation breakdown problem. Given that I'm looking for any first hand experience from anyone with this current version and whether they are still suffering from the same fate or whether KK have finally come up with a stable element?

Figure it's worth considering at this stage in time before spending $360 on 4x 5-star element (which appear to be identical to KK in terms of the element, just with additional 200W and a very nice element guard/cable gland)?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I've read the thread, hence why doing my research now as I have 4x in a recently purchased rig. Have you had the most current version? Sure there is history and issues, but the features that appear to have been added in this current version seem logical and what one can assume addresses the overheating/insulation breakdown problem. Given that I'm looking for any first hand experience from anyone with this current version and whether they are still suffering from the same fate or whether KK have finally come up with a stable element?

Figure it's worth considering at this stage in time before spending $360 on 4x 5-star element (which appear to be identical to KK in terms of the element, just with additional 200W and a very nice element guard/cable gland)?
Go the 5-star ones, at least that way you know you have a good product before even starting assembly. I have one and not had an issue. Just wish i had the 15A outlet to have bought the 3600W one :'(

QldKev said:
I've purchased 5 Keg King elements so far, with all the promises of the "fixed in this version" and only have 1 left running. I can't afford to buy more shit from them.

What makes me laugh is that dude recommending the new model removes one with obvious melting points, but the stainless is also rusting! Maybe the new silicone sheath may resolve the heat issue (lol), but why is the stainless rusting. Is this guy getting paid sponsorship for purchases via his link to it?
My 5-star one showed a similar pattern of rust(where the element joins the fixed nut) after one use!

I asked 5-star about it, sent them pics etc and they said they had never heard of anyone else with the problem.

Found that quickly cleaning it up to remove it an quick spray with Star-San after washing out the kettle each use now prevents it.

DJ_L3ThAL said:

Upfront: This is a personal discussion, and I am not acting as a moderator of this forum in any authority. If any mods or admin feel I am out of line please fee free to moderate me, as on any post made by any admin/mod.

So for the comparison
(at this point I will point out I have no affiliation with either company)
I have purchased 5 x KK elements with, after some replacements on the way including more than 1 version, I have only 1 remaining unit running in use due to the rest failing.
I have purchased 2 x 5-star elements, with zero replacements or issues, have 2 running.

So for the record, no I have NOT used the current KK version which replaces the many so called prior versions to fix it. Have they fixed the overheating of the sealed head? It looks to my unofficially trained eye as they have just changed to a more heat stable product, rather than eliminate it. They have stated the heat was moved further away from the base prior. The 5-star has an air enclosure with a metal surrounding to allow heat transfer. Will issues in the KK unit re-occur, I don't know? Will the rust issues of the stainless continue, I don't know.

Are you cellar dweler? or have any invested interest or otherwise in the party?

If Keg King wishes to send me some elements for review I will swap out the existing stable elements from my 3V's HLT (I run 3 elements in it) and give a 100% feedback brew by brew. If they do have a stable product for a great price it would be great.

QldKev said:
Upfront: This is a personal discussion, and I am not acting as a moderator of this forum in any authority. If any mods or admin feel I am out of line please fee free to moderate me, as on any post made by any admin/mod.

So for the comparison
(at this point I will point out I have no affiliation with either company)
I have purchased 5 x KK elements with, after some replacements on the way including more than 1 version, I have only 1 remaining unit running in use due to the rest failing.
I have purchased 2 x 5-star elements, with zero replacements or issues, have 2 running.

So for the record, no I have NOT used the current KK version which replaces the many so called prior versions to fix it. Have they fixed the overheating of the sealed head? It looks to my unofficially trained eye as they have just changed to a more heat stable product, rather than eliminate it. They have stated the heat was moved further away from the base prior. The 5-star has an air enclosure with a metal surrounding to allow heat transfer. Will issues in the KK unit re-occur, I don't know? Will the rust issues of the stainless continue, I don't know.
I've read the thread mate, I understand you've had a bad run with all previous versions, but as you stated you haven't tried the new ones. Completely understand you're done with them, I would likely be too bad I the same experience as you. I appreciate your efforts with this thread too, if it was not for this thread, I would have likely plugged my new rig in and run it with a false sense of security. But.....

Air inside a sealed enclosure is a heat transfer medium? News to me? Air is an extremely poor conductor of heat AFAIK. But I do agree the 5 star appear better built and those who have received them say they are, but fraser_john has had the same rust issue as mentioned as KK, and the element rods look identical, even the dimple in the hot end looks identical to the KK.

This is why I question whether at double the price, are the 5-star worth the extra over the KK current model. If the issues are fixed in the KK model then there is probably no advantage getting 5-star other than the extra 200W or a bling wiring enclosure.

Perhaps the current version is still so new that no one has had the chance to test them properly.

Are you cellar dweler? or have any invested interest or otherwise in the party?
No. No.

I find the 5-star actually run at a similar wattage to the KK once they both heat up. Heat = resistance, it just depends on when you pick the wattage.

jonnir said:
I wonder if keg king would offer a wire your self version.
i posted one ages ago that Ive bought and it was reasonably cheap as well. still haven't used it as i haven't got off my arse

QldKev said:
I find the 5-star actually run at a similar wattage to the KK once they both heat up. Heat = resistance, it just depends on when you pick the wattage.
So the 5-star run at 2200W or the KK run at 2400W?

Think I've got blessing from SWMBO to fork out the extra for 5-star, thanks to this thread (or my brief explanation of it)... I'd still be keen to know if anyone has used the current version, to close the loop for others looking at them in the future.

I got two unused 5star elements that I will sell. Will stick in the B&S tomorrow.

So many have had issues from the KK elements, so when I went electric I stayed well clear. People have had issues for 3+ years...way too long to "fix" it now.

Not worth buying cheap crap for it just to fail and need to be thrown out. Buy once buy right.

And that guy on youtube - heaps of his videos are keg king products. No doubt he's probably a mate of someone at KK and gets discounted/free products if he posts up a review. Hard to be unbiased or impartial with that sort of deal going on. Very common in other industries ATM.

Has anyone got good photos of how they've wired they're 5 Star elements? I've got two of them (with guards) that I want to get wired by a sparky. Just waiting on all the bits for the latest Brauduino

Did you have to install the element & wire it up once in the pot?

I blew an old one and got a different version which is a covered unit (kk) it's all black with a slightly longer cable from the element end, only used once but they look to have made sure the cable doesn't bend which I thought was the problem as the heat builds up at that bend. Sorry not able to see which kk I have right now but it's enclosed and the cable is supported and there is no kink or bend at the element end anymore

Hope that makes sense

breakbeer said:
Has anyone got good photos of how they've wired they're 5 Star elements? I've got two of them (with guards) that I want to get wired by a sparky. Just waiting on all the bits for the latest Brauduino

Did you have to install the element & wire it up once in the pot?
No. I got mine so they can be removed from the pot for cleaning. Wire stays attched.

Latest posts

Back