Keg King Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shit myself big time about 2 years ago when mine threw a lightning bolt at me with an accompanying bang. Unbelievable that this shit just keeps on happening. Mine only lasted 2 brews. My 5stars have been keepin my safe for a many hours now.

This is what it looks like, can't remember exactly when I had it swapped over but it was easily over a year ago. Pretty sure it's the same unit they're currently selling but correct me if I'm wrong

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445149036.859718.jpg

I'm right in the middle of upgrading my rig to a bigger system & already have the new element from 5 Star to wire up, Thank **** for that.

Also, Thanks to Nullnvoid for saving the day & bringing his keggle & burner over so I could finish the brew

funny how the supplier hasn't chimed in the last 31 pages.

Sounds like 5 star are going to be getting a lot of business coming their way.

I've got two KK elements, one in my RIMS tube and one in my HLT and haven't had a problem with either (HLT element is 4 years old, RIMS element is 2).

I wonder if I've got lucky, or is it the way i've been using them. Have those who've had elements blow been using them to boil or just for heating strike/sparge water?

Even though I've been fortunate, I think I'll be buying 5-star elements when I do need to replace them.

JD

JDW81 said:
I've got two KK elements, one in my RIMS tube and one in my HLT and haven't had a problem with either (HLT element is 4 years old, RIMS element is 2).

I wonder if I've got lucky, or is it the way i've been using them. Have those who've had elements blow been using them to boil or just for heating strike/sparge water?

Even though I've been fortunate, I think I'll be buying 5-star elements when I do need to replace them.

JD
I too had a MkII KK element which worked flawlessly for the last few years. Only reason I stopped using it was to upgrade to bigger elements. However, examining the power lead I could detect bulges in the cable which I'd put down to insulation deterioration. There's no way I was going to use it again and it's now decommissioned.
I think it really comes down to cheap components. You just have to look at the Bunglings recall for cheap Chinese thermoplastic sheathed cable where the insulation is inferior. There's still a whole heap of unrecovered cable out there and a good likelihood that a few homes will burn to the ground in a few years because of it.
I can't understand why it's taken KK so long to improve the quality of these elements.

The first one I had, the small length of connected cable used to get really hot and soft as if it wasn't heavy enough to carry the amps it was drawing. I believe that if people then unplug or pull on it before it cools down, the wiring connections probably move and short out against each other the next time its turned on. If anyone must keep using one and the connection is getting really hot make sure let it cool down fully before moving your vessel around.

Cheap extension leads are one of the worst things for overheating this way, so it pays to invest in really heavy duty ones in your brewery, and uncoil them fully while using them.

breakbeer said:
Also, Thanks to Nullnvoid for saving the day & bringing his keggle & burner over so I could finish the brew
No problems mate, was good to see someone else bree and chew the fat.

Thanks for entertaining the kids. They didn't want to leave and want to come back next weekend :)

People understand the key reason the 5star ones are gong well is due to getting a licensed person to wire it yeah?

The wiring is failing on the KK. Use 1mm cable on the 5star and you'll have same issue. Heck use the cheap extension cords and have them at a bend like your element and you'll get the same thing

jonnir said:
People understand the key reason the 5star ones are gong well is due to getting a licensed person to wire it yeah?
Hmmm that might be an assumption, I certainly did not pay a licensed person to wire it.

But that's exactly the point. The Keg King elements are substandard because of the wiring. It's an easy fix but yet they continue to sell something that is putting lives at risk.

jonnir said:

The wiring is failing on the KK. Use 1mm cable on the 5star and you'll have same issue. Heck use the cheap extension cords and have them at a bend like your element and you'll get the same thing

jonnir said:

Pretty sure they're not 1mm2 but would have to double check. Even still, a 1mm2 flex cable unenclosed should be able to draw 16A without the insulation failing and creating a short. Considering these elements are drawing about 10A I'd be blaming inferior materials. Especially considering how quickly some of these units have failed. Of course water ingress could be another potential issue.

Fwiw, I wired my elements in 2.5mm2 flex. Makes the rig look tougher.

Hairy Goat said:
It's an easy fix but yet they continue to sell something that is putting lives at risk.
FWIW, no one has reported failures on the current model being sold by keg king.

There maybe no reports because most have stopped using keg king elements and opted to go 5star.

fraser_john said:
Hmmm that might be an assumption, I certainly did not pay a licensed person to wire it.
A licensed person would use 2.5mm cable to wire it :)

breakbeer said:
This is what it looks like, can't remember exactly when I had it swapped over but it was easily over a year ago. Pretty sure it's the same unit they're currently selling but correct me if I'm wrong

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1445149036.859718.jpg

I'm right in the middle of upgrading my rig to a bigger system & already have the new element from 5 Star to wire up, Thank **** for that.
That's the Mark II

crowmanz said:
That's the Mark III

Hairy Goat said:
But that's exactly the point. The Keg King elements are substandard because of the wiring. It's an easy fix but yet they continue to sell something that is putting lives at risk.
The new design they have upgraded the wiring and also the insulation. I have had the Mark III design (didn't pay for them) replaced in my system for about a year and they have been fine to date, touch wood earthed rubber flooring.

I was told, after the feedback and the improvements with the Mark III design, they tested 6 elements running full-time for 7 days.

This is not an endorsement in any way.

So just to be clear and correct me if im wrong but breakbeer's element that just blew was an OLD keg king element.

There have still been no reports of the new models having problems.

I have two of the new ones ready to go for a project i have been working on but haven't used them yet. I was a little concerned with the earlier iterations but the latest version looked to be a complete redesign and given I couldn't find any negative reports I thought i would give it a go. I do double check my safety switches before i brew just in case.

dropbear85 said:
So just to be clear and correct me if im wrong but breakbeer's element that just blew was an OLD keg king element.

There have still been no reports of the new models having problems.

I have two of the new ones ready to go for a project i have been working on but haven't used them yet. I was a little concerned with the earlier iterations but the latest version looked to be a complete redesign and given I couldn't find any negative reports I thought i would give it a go. I do double check my safety switches before i brew just in case.
I had some of the breakbeer model and they did give up the ghost.

I have 3 of the new ones. They don't have any visible white silicone and just tapered rubber around the element.

After having one blow and looking at the wiring. My element didn't blow at all. But the wiring was crap got damaged and then the + and - met. I've rewired and all good 3 brews in. When you look at the way they were put together, you see that any pulling at all on the power chord was pulling on the wire joins. Really shitful design. If you set up the five star the same, you'd probably have the same issues.

Latest posts

Back