Is Obama's carpet big enough to sweep this under.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly doubt you could kill anywhere near as many people with a screwdriver before someone took you down than a bloody high powered firearm. That's a ridiculous argument and one perpetuated by the pro-gun morons in America all too often.

While it may true that guns by themselves don't kill anyone, the problem is, they make it a hell of a lot easier for those of that intent to do so. You want to come at me from 50 metres with your screwdriver while I stand there and take pot shots with a rifle and we'll see who drops first...

The point is, we are allowed to own firearms. We just have to go through a hell of a lot more screening and checks etc. to get that permit, and rightly so, because it keeps the ownership mainly in the hands of those who would never use them illegally, unlike America where any old psycho can go buy a gun whenever they feel like it and go and kill a bunch of people. One can only wonder whether these people would attempt things like this if they had to rely on a screwdriver as their weapon...

wide eyed and legless said:
Spot on, the weapons used in the last massacre in California were easily reverted to fully automatic.
And also Illegal to possess in California...

Anyone who can seriously believe there is no correlation between gun deaths and ease of access to guns has rocks in their head.

Florian said:
Pretty sure when danbeer called bullshit he refered to the fully automatic battle grade comment, not to the well known fact that you can buy guns at walmart.

Edit: agree that there are probably way too many guns floating around but we don't have to paint the picture any worse than it is in reality just to get the point across.
Yes. This. The assertion made was that fully automatic batle rifles are available over the counter at Walmart. This is of course fabricated FUD bullshit.
Fully-automatic guns are available over there, but less common than you might think given what you see on TV. You won't see one on the shelf in Wally world.
Yes, I have spent some considerable time there...

manticle said:
Anyone who can seriously believe there is no correlation between gun deaths and ease of access to guns has rocks in their head.
And guns in their home...

manticle said:
And anyone who beleives blaming an inanimate object for societies ills is also simmilarly delusional.

danbeer said:
And anyone who beleives blaming an inanimate object for societies ills is also simmilarly delusional.
Who said the gun was to blame for society's ills (whatever they may be)?

Long bow, drawn tight.

Liam_snorkel said:
Let's just give everyone nukes instead, see how your logic holds up.
I know you're being facetious, but having nukes has largely worked out pretty well for the countries that have them.

Brooa said:
First of all let me say that I'm an ex-serviceman trained in the correct & safe use/storage of fire arms. I don't currently own a firearm. Do I believe we should be allowed to own (not carry) firearms.......Yes I do. I also believe there should be strict rules & regulations around such allowances. Do I think guns are the problem?..........Hell no!!!!! I'm sure that if I was that type of person, I could run down Queen St. Mall in Brisbane holding a screwdriver, & kill a heap of people before someone took me down. The bottom line is "Guns don't kill people......People do". Gun ownership just has to be manage properly. The way Howard did it after Port Arthur, while well intentioned, took the guns off the wrong people. i.e: The law abiding people. The criminals/underworld still get their hands on high powered automatic, or concealable firearms. I wish I knew the answer but I don't. I do know that taking guns off everyone, only takes them off those who would never have used them illegally anyway.
Just my two bobs worth.
What Howard did was take what was a legally available firearm and make it illegal. Then proceeded to take them out of peoples hands. Martin Bryant didn't obtain the firearm illegally and wouldn't be able to commit the same offense now. It is easy to say, oh you can go and get illegal firearms. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't know where to get one personally and imagine many are the same, therefore when someone flies off the handle, they only have access to a bolt action, or other, but not a semi-auto.

danbeer said:
I know you're being facetious, but having nukes has largely worked out pretty well for the countries that have them.
We're talking about individual people, not countries. I wasn't being facetious so much as extending his logic to to an extreme to illustrate the point.
If every country only had one firearm each...

Put it this way, for your analogy to stand, ISIS would have access to nukes. They don't. And neither should disenfranchised teenagers or disgruntled religious fanatics have access to firearms.

How about screwdrivers?
Can do a lot of damage with an allen key. **** you up real good, especially a 3/8"

Careful dem raspberries.
Carry a ring spanner at all times.

Failing that simply pull the lever and a sixteen ton should fall on their head.

Liam_snorkel said:
If a man comes at you with a banana..
and-heres-a-banana-in-the-shape-of-a-gun-136389709145902601-140429143516.jpg

You can buy these weapons from any farmers market, they just need a bit of modifying.

Yes there will always be people who will/want to kill other people for no logical reason

Now a gun for a criminal here is a lot harder to get than a gun in the USA for a criminal

As to Howards buy back, I know lots of blokes who handed in old shitty weapons and got enough to buy new guns.. Mate handed a few old dead guns and got enough to buy a full stainless Tikka .17

PVC pipe sales when up a touch as well

How the **** do you manage to run down Queen St Mall holding a vodka + orange and kill heaps of people?

Latest posts

Back